• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ouray area info (Bones and others)

Crunch

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting a little info because I'm flying my sister out here from FL for her birthday and would love to show her some of CO.
What I'd like to know is if I take Black Bear pass to Telluride and she is a bit of a chicken, are the switchbacks as bad as Charles Wells makes them sound?
Is Imogene pass back to Ouray a scenic drive like Black Bear is supposed to be or should I just go asphalt back?
I'd also like to take Engineer Pass over to Lake City and after that I'll be headed back towards Lakewood (Denver area) and was hoping for suggestions of things to do (other than Mt Antero).
Thanks for the help,
Crunch

Crunch,
I have done all the trails you are asking about several times.
Black Bear is not as difficult or as scary and if she is concerned on the switchbacks she can always get out of the vehicle and walk until the vehicle is straight again but the trip is by far one of the most scenic to be had in the Colorado rockies and should not be missed.
What I have done that has been very enjoyable is to stop in Telluride at one of the great reastarants available and then head up and over Imogene. Imogene has the Tom Boy mining town area that is great to see and also one of the highest passes at over 13,000 ft. The scenery is fantastic with lots of water and streams etc.
Engineer pass is a mild trip with lots of high country meadows etc to enjoy.
You won't have any complaints I'm sure from your sister if you stay with the plans you have made.
The other major bonus to all of these passes and high country are the wildflowers that are so predominate in the area.
Enjoy yourself. Its one of my favorite places to take my jeep and explore and see the Rockies.
GRNT

BLKBRP_TELVIEW1-vi.jpg

First off, Black Bear only has its reputation because of people that do not know how to drive. Yes, the switchbacks are tight but it is not anything like the books make it seem.
bbp4-vi.jpg
bbp5-vi.jpg
bbpbvf-vi.jpg

I followed a full size extended cab Chevy down it once and he had no trouble. It is a beautiful road and not to be missed.

Telluride is a quaint town but expensive. The Florodora was a great place to eat but it has changed hands and undergone a big menu change, though it still had a good burger last time I was there. Brad and Rhoda Green live in Telluride.
TPR_BRGMW1-vi.jpg

Brad is always up for some wheeling. If you want someone to run with you for the day give him a shout. He is very knowledgeable about the area.

As Mil said, Imogene is well worth the trip. I feel that one should never take the paved roads if there are options.
imogp1-vi.jpg

Most books (Wells’ included) do a good job of describing the things to see along the way.
IMMOGENEP_OVERLOOK1-vi.jpg
IMMOGENEP_ROCKGLACIER-vi.jpg

As you come down the Ouray side of the pass there is a waterfall to your left.
imofal1-vi.jpg

Before crossing the stream bear left and a road will take you across the old crossing about mid fall. It is a bit tight getting out of the stream but easily do-able for a mod lifted XJ.
IMMOGENEP_WF1-vi.jpg

Once you exit Imogene, you can head up Yankee boy Basin for a great view of the wild flowers then backtrack into Ouray.

Ouray is a great little town to explore and, depending on how long your trip will be, a good place to put up for the night, The hot springs pool is a great place for a good soak. There is a clothing optional resort up by Ridgeway if you are interested, though traveling with ones sister I could see how you might want to skip it this trip :D .

Lower Engineer pass is not difficult, but it is rough. Plan for a bit of jarring if you are going to try to make some time. I would recommend taking Poughkeepsie up to California/Hurricane. Poughkeepsie is a scenic trail
cmpspt-vi.jpg

BUT, it is one of the nastier roads in the area.
bonesrocks26-vi.jpg

Though not anything like Holy Cross, problems can happen so be prepaired.
pg11-vi.jpg

I would put the worst of it on the same level as some of the harder stuff on Chinaman’s (hammer not included).
OCG_WF_C_SP-vi.jpg

Once in the California basin cut up Placer and out Picayne for a view of the Democrat mill
PLACERG_DEMMILL_FAM5-vi.jpg
pg3-vi.jpg

and the Treasure Mountain mine.
Once back on 110 take a left and head over into Animas Forks for a good view of that old mining town.
anfk2-vi.jpg
animfork1-vi.jpg

You can catch back up with Engineer at Annimas Forks and head on to Lake City.
Most stores around the Alpine loop sell a small tourist flip open guidebook that gives a mile-by-mile description of things along the loop. Engineer is a good choice traveling from Animas to Lake City with a lot to see.
empirem-vi.jpg
schafbasn-vi.jpg
whitfalls-vi.jpg

Lake City has several small cabins for the night, though they stay very full during the season. If planning on a night there book ASAP. Poker Alice’s in Lake City is a great place to eat, very eclectic and great food. If you cannot find lodging there (or don’t want to put up in LC overnight) head out to Gunnison. The first part of 249 out of Lake City is spectacular while running along the river.
From Gunnison it depends on how much time you have to spend getting back home.
If times short Head out of Gunnison towards Crested Butte and take Schofield pass over to Marble. There area couple of beautiful waterfalls
scofp1-vi.jpg
scofp3-vi.jpg

and the Crystal Mill (most photographed place in CO) is there as well.
crph2-vi.jpg

From Marble head north on 133 to 82. Left gets you to I70; right takes you through Aspen and back to 24.
If you have a few days left when you get to Gunnison, I would recommend heading east out of town to Parlin. Hang a left at Parlin and head up to Pitkin, and check out the Alpine tunnel.
pallisades1-vi.jpg

From the tunnel you can head over Hancock pass or, if it’s open (Aug only), Williams Pass
wilpas1-vi.jpg

and drop down into St Elmo. I hope the Allie Bell Mine never succumbs to gravity, but I know someday it will.
hancok1-vi.jpg

It will be on your right as you get near St Elmo. Just before you get to 162, you will pass the Iron Chest mine road we did last July.
If you have the time, take a left on 162 through St Elmo
stelmo-vi.jpg

and pick up Tincup Pass. It will take you over to Taylor reservoir. If it is open, Frenchy’s in Tincup used to be a good place to catch a bite. Tincup pass has an optional section called Old Tincup that is fun.
oldtcup1-vi.jpg
oldtcup2-vi.jpg

It is like a short Iron chest, only bigger rock.
From Taylor you can cut over Cottonwood pass to Buena Vista and take 24 North to I70, or my preferred route of Italian Creek over to Crested Butte and Schofield pass (see previous description). Italian Creek has a couple of things to see. American Flag Mountain is along that stretch and is worth the side trip.
amflg1-vi.jpg

The trail splits near the top and the high road is rocky and narrow. The low road can get muddy in the rainy season. I personally take the rock over mud.
If you get to St Elmo and time is getting short, take a right on 162. That is the road that will take you by the road to Mt Antero and back towards 24/285. At the Mt Princeton hot springs, bear left and head to the top of Mt Princeton. It is an easy climb and taken by many lesser 4wd’s and hikers so be careful. The Chalet at the top is beautiful, and viewing the sunrise from there is a site to behold.
Image1-vi.jpg
MP_FAM1-vi.jpg

To stay overnight all they ask is that you leave something (durable good wise) for the next person. It is communal and at over 11k ft, it has no amenities, so pack it in and out. After coming back down Mt Princeton, you can bypass all the traffic on 24/285 north to Buena Vista by taking a left on the paved road (321 I think) into BV the back way. There are several companies that run river rafting trips out of BV if you are so inclined.

Once out of BV you are on your own as far as wheeling goes. I do not know the stuff up towards Denver, though if you want to give dear old sis something to remember, I hear Red Cone is nice this time of year.

If all else fails, take her to Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It can be hot this time of year but it is spectacular.
blkcan1-vi.jpg
blkcan2-vi.jpg
blkcan3-vi.jpg

Good luck. Hit me back channel with your timeline and I may be able to be more specific about things.

Colorado, A good place to kick back with friends
BV_CAMP_HTH1-vi.jpg

or to pick up chicks.
HC_BOBSWORRY1-vi.jpg
HC_BOBSWORRY2-vi.jpg

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

You know, since SW (and central) CO is one of my three favorite areas on the planet (SE Utah and South Island, NZ are the others), I had a whole story planned to tell you.

But Bones is quicker (especially when he's not rebuilding his rig at the campsite).

What he said! :D

Have a great time - and tell us all about it at Slickrock CG in a couple of months!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Wow! I want to go too!

Damn Bones, anyone would think you are a local.

But if you keep telling people how beautiful CO is, we'll just have more of them furriners move here.

Nice story

Great post, Bones.

Me thinks there's a book inside you somewhere :)

"Wheelin' with Bones in the Colorado High Country"

I'll buy a copy.

Thanks Guys,

Y'uns are the best. Special thanks to Bones for the pictoral and narrative tour which I have now in my 'favorites' (even the OCG headshot :D ). Only gonna be gone for 4 days, but absolutely doing the Black Bear to Telluride and Imogene back to Ouray for a night. Then Engineer to Lake City but also gonna read up a little on Poughkeepsie/California/Hurricane just in case it looks more inviting. I'll be bringing pics to Slickrock.

Thanks again for the incredible feedback,
Crunch

Crunch:

You'll have a nice ride regardless of how you get to Lake City, but you seem to suggest that it's an either/or between Engineer Pass and Hurricane/California.

Not the case - coming south from Ouray, skip the turn for lower Engineer and head in at Corkscrew Gulch which will bring you out to Hurricane Pass. Poughkeepsie heads north (back to Engineer) from there, but if you just head east you'll come down California Gulch to Animas Forks and north of that ghost town you can easily pick Engineer Pass road back up and work your way over to Lake City.

Of course, Cinnamon Pass Rd heads towards Lake City also from Animas Forks, but, IMHO, Engineer Pass is a more enjoyable ride over.

No difference though - you and your sister will have a great ride on any of those runs. Enjoy.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike is correct, you do not have to make a choice between Cal/Hurricane or Eng pass.
I had left out the "up corkscrew" route because I don't find it a scenic as lower Eng to Poughkeepsie though both Corkscrew and Poughkeepsie will put you out at Hurricane pass and over to California gulch. Besides the lower eng pass to Hurricane pass direction is the fun way to run Poughkeepsie. You also do not need to run Poughkeepsie to get to Animas. You can stay on Eng pass farther and follow the cut off over to Animas to save time. If you do that, I would still recommend heading up California gulch out of Animas and catch placer to Picayne, as the old democrat mill and the Treasure Mountain mine are very worthwhile. The road down to the Democrat mill is up by the house and mine ruins not the road that looks like it will get you down there (the directions will be clear once you see it).
It would be a full day to run Lower eng pass to Poughkeepsie to Hurricane into California gulch doing both Picayne and placer then over Eng pass to Lake City but if you were running by yourself and didn't break anything it could be done if you watched your side trip time.

Bones :skull1:
NAXJA #6

Grant said:
But if you keep telling people how beautiful CO is, we'll just have more of them furriners move here.
[/B]

Well, if that ain't an example of the pot callin' the kettle black :D Doesn't get more "furrin" than Grant, except for maybe Hagen!

Actually, I'm rather glad that the U.S. opened it's gates for that particular South African! He sure has been a big help to me in the past - didn't let that case of Fat Tire sit around long did ya? :D

Movin in

Crunch, you keep talkin about great rides like this and I'll be packing my bags and showin up on your door step lookin to move in.

Somedays I wonder why I ever left Boulder?!?!?!?!?!?!

See you at MOAB..............

Schofield Pass is closed and likely won't be open this summer, but you can bypass it by taking Lead King Basin instead. When you reach the switchbacks park up above them where the trail makes a loop. A breath robbing climb up the hillside will take you to the prettiest medow you'll ever see, take your camera. Black Bear, Ouray and the powerhouse at Crystal would be on my top three must see list. On the way back to Lakewood you've got endless places you could see, Leadville, Idaho Springs area, and Georgetown to name a few. It's harder to decide what to skip than what to see in that part of the state. Have fun, TC

Re: Movin in

motorman said:
Crunch, you keep talkin about great rides like this and I'll be packing my bags and showin up on your door step lookin to move in.

Somedays I wonder why I ever left Boulder?!?!?!?!?!?!

See you at MOAB..............
I know what you mean. I think many of us who lived there and left are kicking themselves! I know I am...:(

MaXJohnson said:
Great post, Bones.

Me thinks there's a book inside you somewhere :)

"Wheelin' with Bones in the Colorado High Country"

I'll buy a copy.

You'll have to get Bones to tell you about the ice chest incident that happened last year when we went from BV to Crested Butte and Gunninson over Cottonwood Pass, Taylor Pass, and Pearl Pass. Something about the entire contents of a large ice chest in the bathtub of the motel room.......I'll let him tell it. :eek: :puke: :D

Let's just say "cooler soup" is not that great....

The cooler now rides in the Jeep.

Bones:anon:

Back