• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OT - Toyota Financing

E. If you get a Prius, I will no longer have any respect for ya.. Save the 15k and get a corolla instead, same fuel economy, and less haters like me.. Every other D-head in so cal can drive a prius.. Please not you too..

E. If you get a Prius, I will no longer have any respect for ya.. Save the 15k and get a corolla instead, same fuel economy, and less haters like me.. Every other D-head in so cal can drive a prius.. Please not you too..

LOL.. This is funny.....

I didn't realize that there were so many Priri Haters.. :dunno:

I'll tell you what... If someone pays for HALF of my WJ's gas bill for a year, I will not get a Prius for at least 1.5 years.. The gas for our WJ comes to about $250 to $300 a month.

To tell you the truth, I'm not "in love" with the Prius. However, the more money I can free up, the more money I have to play with..

By the way, we are still number crunching. Since a few people have suggested the VW TDI, I will do some research on them. I have to admit that I do like German auto engineering....

E

LOL.. This is funny.....

I didn't realize that there were so many Priri Haters.. :dunno:

I'll tell you what... If someone pays for HALF of my WJ's gas bill for a year, I will not get a Prius for at least 1.5 years.. The gas for our WJ comes to about $250 to $300 a month.

To tell you the truth, I'm not "in love" with the Prius. However, the more money I can free up, the more money I have to play with..

By the way, we are still number crunching. Since a few people have suggested the VW TDI, I will do some research on them. I have to admit that I do like German auto engineering....

E

No BS, I was on the 710 north a week or so ago and there was a prius I passed and the liscence plate read TREHUGR.

I think all Sierra Club members drive them :gee: Take a look at a REI parking lot as well :/

Go test drive a TDI and report back. They are super nice. :thumbup:

is your wj paid for? if it does, i dont see how this even makes a little sense.
you're going to put 2k down, which is about 8 months worth of gas if you're spending $250/month on gas. On top of that, you're going to be paying $250 a month for payments. At the end, you have zero equity with the car, so at that point, you could have put that $8,000 into your gas tank over the 2 years with nothing lost. Not to mention, you'll need full coverage on the Prius, so insurance might cost a bit more as well. On top of all that, you'll likely still have a $150 a month gas bill.
So you'll be spending $12,000 over 2 years so you can save maybe $2400 on gas.
Do what i did, buy a 2005ish 4cyl shitbox for 3-5k, save yourself a shitload. And if you sell the WJ, it would probably be an even swap or you'll come out ahead.

Thanks David. Along with Toyata's promo, I'm trying to se if I can take advantage of the end-of-the-year push.

Avery - :dunno: I don't see any issues with having a Prius, nor a VW. I don't need a particular vehicle to make up for the inadequacies in my life. Believe me, we LOVE cars. We used to lease BMW's until our first son was about a year old. By that time, it just wasn't comfortable anymore.

Now, we have a goal of being debt free within 3 years. Leasing a Prius will help us save at least $200 a month, in gas, which we can use toward another bill.

BTW - I still have my '55 Chevy, my Harley, my XJ (for now), and will also have my dignity.. :D

E

How many miles did you figure per month to calculate $200/month savings? Keep in mind that annual mileage is a HUGE factor in lease payment calculations. If you go over the the agreed milage you will pay big time at the end of the lease.

You'd have to drive 25,000 miles a year to save $200/month in gas over a 20 mpg car. Toyota knows that at 25,000 miles a year the Prius is worth nothing after a few years and so your lease payments will be adjusted accordingly.

Ok... My brain is turning into mush.. I'll have to pick this up in the morning..

As a quick note, we pay about $250 to $300 in gas. Since it's driven mostly in stop & go traffic, it's getting about 14 MPGs. The Prius gets 50 MPG. That's roughly 1/3 the cost.

*Disclaimer* I cracked open a beer around 7pm tonight.. I didn't stop at one.. ;) So the numbers MIGHT be off a bit.. :lickout:

E

Ok... My brain is turning into mush.. I'll have to pick this up in the morning..

As a quick note, we pay about $250 to $300 in gas. Since it's driven mostly in stop & go traffic, it's getting about 14 MPGs. The Prius gets 50 MPG. That's roughly 1/3 the cost.

*Disclaimer* I cracked open a beer around 7pm tonight.. I didn't stop at one.. ;) So the numbers MIGHT be off a bit.. :lickout:

E
Thats 50 mpg going down hill with a tail wind, not stop and go traffic.

I've had the opportunity to drive Prius rentals twice.

The first time was in Las Vegas. 2010 model. In the city of Lost Wages, I averaged 51 mpg. Realize that I am very light footed, and can usually beat the EPA estimate on cars by 15%.

I then drove the thing to Death Valley. Averaged 38mpg. The Prius didn't like the idea of going from 5000 feet to zero and back up to 5000 The batteries didn't have the capacity to handle the big changes between long uphills and long downhills. The engine ran a lot going uphill, and the batteries went to full charge partway down the downhill sections.

Second time - 2011 model. Drove from home to Buffalo, NY. About 5 hours drive. I averaged 54 mpg for the entire trip. Combination of interstate, back country road, city and two lane highway. Again, I babied the skinny pedal. But in the case, the up and down hill sections were far smaller than in Death Valley, so the batteries could be used more effectively.

Come to think of it, I had a 2011 Prius from Phoenix to Tucson. got about 50 mpg on interstate only driving with it.

Your mileage may vary.

David Bricker / SYR

No BS, I was on the 710 north a week or so ago and there was a prius I passed and the liscence plate read TREHUGR.

I think all Sierra Club members drive them :gee: Take a look at a REI parking lot as well :/

Go test drive a TDI and report back. They are super nice. :thumbup:

Welcome to the hell that i live in on the westside:

photobucket-2516-1325087214857.jpg

Welcome to the hell that i live in on the westside:

photobucket-2516-1325087214857.jpg

Hybrid drivers are tree huggers thinking they are doing the right thing.....and for some reason they are horrid drivers too.

Guy at work has a 2011 Prius and commutes (stop and go) on freeway from Glendale to Redondo. He said it gets better mileage in stop and go because its running on battery under a certain mph (like 40??). Anyway, he says he gets a fairly consistent 50+ (51-54mpg). He did say on longer drives or hill....it gets horrible mileage (as stated above) because the motor sucks and is slow and you have to beat it keep speed.

Tony's TDI Passat gets 45mpg (at 85mph) with 200+ ft/lbs torque.

neither of which are going to save you money over a vehicle you already own.
but yes, i would drive a pink TDI before i drove any Prius.

Back