• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on VW GTI

Damn! I missed this thread. DOH!

I'm not usually a 'new' VW fan (old school watercooled fan) but I'd have to say stock for stock> spend the money on the used R32. 1st, you won't lose money! The resale value on the R32 hasn't dropped. 2nd, it's a fast car in stock form. No need for a chip... just turn the key and smile! Running a chipped 1.8T or 2.0T lands you in that risky WARRANTY VOID zone.

Also, owning a VW is like joining a cult. It's a huge disfunctional family. There is a neverending supply of knowledge and support nearing that of the Jeep communities.

Persnally... if it were ME spending loot on a new VW> it'd be an older body with a newer engine. Maybe a mkI (rabbit) with a 1.8T or something. I currently drive (not daily) an 81 Polo 1.1l that was imported from Germany. I've also owned 2 mkII GTIs, a G60 Corrado, a BBM supercharged JettaIII, and the pimpest Vanagon this side of the Chesapeake Bay. It's a family thing. My sis and bro-in-law have (all immaculate) a G60 Rado, a Callaway Scirocco, a mkII Jetta Carat, and have owned a slew of others as well as currently owning a VERY FAST Audi S4 Avant. I just wanted to warn you it can become an addiction!! hahaha .

Here's me ....
jayspics716.jpg

Yeah, bummed I missed this thread too. Definetely get a GTI!!! I had an '03 w/ the 1.8T and it's a great car. Mine was chipped w/ a 3" into 2.5" straight exhaust (no cat), cold air intake and a few other things and it was pretty damn quick. It was as fast as my friends .:R32, but I did have my spare tire and rear seats removed and he weighs about 100lbs more than me, so I definetely had a weight advantage. Unlike a WRX, the R isn't AWD all the time...only during wheel slippage. Driving down the highway at 50mph, it's a FWD car, so you don't have the excessive drivetrain loss that you'd have w/ a WRX. Plus, a VW is a cooler car anyway!!! I did get rid of the GTI for my current DD....'07 VW Passat w/ the new 2.0T. It only has 750 miles on it now, but once it hits 5k, it's getting chipped and an intake/exhaust.

If you're getting an older one, I'd go w/ the 1.8T. It's lighter than the VR6 and once chipped, makes a decent bit more power. I do love the sound of a nice VR6 though. If you're going new, you obviously can't go wrong w/ the new 2.0T.

Back