• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Operation Fast and Furious

Know what I just realized? We have Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), and now Operation Fast and Furious or OFF, as it should've been called OFF before it ever got off the ground.

ISSA: Mr. Attorney General, we have two Border Patrol agents who are dead, who were killed by guns that were allowed, as far as we can tell, to deliberately walk out of gun shops under the program often called Fast and Furious. This program, as you know — and the President’s been asked about it, you’ve been asked about it – allowed for weapons to be sold to straw purchasers, and ultimately, many of those weapons are today in the hands of drug cartels and other criminals. When did you first know about the program, officially, I believe, called Fast and Furious? To the best of your knowledge, what date?

HOLDER: I’m not sure of the exact date but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/holder-lied-people-died

Perjury is a prosecutable offense.

Ah,.. took them a while, but they finally found the correct answer: It's Bush's fault:
WASHINGTON — The federal government under the Bush administration ran an operation that allowed hundreds of guns to be transferred to suspected arms traffickers — the same tactic that congressional Republicans have criticized President Barack Obama's administration for using, two federal law enforcement officials said Tuesday.
Link to article at AP

Or maybe it's not an article, it might be something crapped straight out of the Justice department's a**. It's spinning so fast, I cant tell. They did leave out one little detail though,..
The problem is, the "same tactic" under heavy criticism by the House Oversight Committee was not used under President Bush. Operation Fast and Furious started in Fall 2009 and was an offshoot of the Project Gunrunner program implemented under the Bush Administration. Project Gunrunner started as a pilot program in Laredo, Texas and went national in 2006. Project Gunrunner involved the surveillance of straw purchasers buying weapons, but those purchasers were immediately apprehended before crossing back into Mexico or tranferring arms to dangerous criminals.
Link to article at Townhall.com

ISSA: Mr. Attorney General, we have two Border Patrol agents who are dead, who were killed by guns that were allowed, as far as we can tell, to deliberately walk out of gun shops under the program often called Fast and Furious. This program, as you know — and the President’s been asked about it, you’ve been asked about it – allowed for weapons to be sold to straw purchasers, and ultimately, many of those weapons are today in the hands of drug cartels and other criminals. When did you first know about the program, officially, I believe, called Fast and Furious? To the best of your knowledge, what date?

HOLDER: I’m not sure of the exact date but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/holder-lied-people-died

Perjury is a prosecutable offense.

why the republicans aren't calling for impeachment at this point is beyond me.

oliver north was short of gaged, tortured and clubbed to death, and this thing is being treated like holder farted at a dinner party and nothing more.

I don't watch the network news any more. Every time I turn it on, some idiot is devoting 10 minutes of a 30 minute broadcast to give me the latest in the Michale Jackson's, doctor's murder trial, or some other equally important, mind-blowing, piece of cow spit that I just can't live without. It's probably a plot to keep ordinary people uninformed.

Anyway, as I get my "news" from alternative, more informed outlets(like the waitress at starbucks, random homeless people on the street,..)I heard about this on Wednesday. I didn't realize how deep this story got buried:

Issa's Gunwalker Subpoenas a Virtual Non-Story; AP Furiously Spins False 'Bush Did It Too' Meme
..,the evening news shows of NBC, ABC and CBS this week not one -- NOT ONE -- mentioned the unprecedented subpoena by a Congressional committee of information regarding the entire top echelon of the Justice Department in the Gunwalker Scandal,..

Searches at the main site of the Associated Press aka the Administration's Press on "subpoena," "subpoenas," and Congressman Issa's last name indicate that the self-described Essential Global News Network has not reported the subpoena's actual issuance.

It would appear that the wire service wants to keep the following people mentioned in the subpoena and accumulated by M. Catharine Evans at the American Thinker out of its subscribing news outlets' publications and broadcasts as much as possible:
Executive Office of the President employees, including but not limited to Associate Communications Director Eric Schultz;
Eric Holder Jr., Attorney General;
David Ogden, Former Deputy Attorney General;
Gary Grindler, Office of the Attorney General and former Acting Deputy Attorney General;
James Cole, Deputy Attorney General;
Lanny Breuer, Assistant Attorney General;
Ronald Weich, Assistant Attorney General;
Kenneth Blanco, Deputy Assistant Attorney General;
Jason Weinstein, Deputy Assistant Attorney General;
John Keeney, Deputy Assistant Attorney General;
Bruce Swartz, Deputy Assistant Attorney General;
Matt Axelrod, Associate Deputy Attorney General;
Ed Siskel, former Associate Deputy Attorney General;
Brad Smith, Office of the Deputy Attorney General;
Kevin Carwile, Section Chief, Capital Case Unit, Criminal Division;
Joseph Cooley, Criminal Fraud Section, Criminal Division;
James Trusty, Acting Chief, Organized Crime and Gang Section;
Emory Hurley, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona;
Michael Morrissey, Assistant U.S. Attorney, Office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona;
Patrick Cunningham, Chief, Criminal Division, Office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona;
David Voth, Group Supervisor, ATF;
Hope MacAllister, Special Agent, ATF
Link to full article: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-bl...ry-ap-furiously-spins-false-bus#ixzz1axjbEvUd

Interesting read here:
Article at Hotair.com

'Not just, "What were you thinking?", but, "What was the supposed end game to all this?"
A question I'd like to see a public answer to.

Oh, good! Maybe he has his lies in order this time.

Saw this one coming.........Bush's fault.

"I am determined to ensure that our shared concerns about Operation Fast and Furious lead to more than headline-grabbing Washington 'gotcha' games and cynical political point scoring," Holder concluded.

Holder has the strong support of fellow Democrat Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, chairman of the committee, who opened the hearing by reciting successes by the Justice Department under Holder's leadership. On Monday, Leahy tried to lower the heat on Holder by blaming the Bush administration for first allowing the "gun-walking" tactic.

In a letter to the Justice Department inspector general, Leahy asked whether the current investigation also will cover the Bush-era supervision of the ATF.

Leahy said that during another operation, called Wide Receiver, in 2006, "hundreds of weapons apparently moved beyond the custody and control of the ATF and possibly into Mexico and Arizona." Leahy also said then-Attorney General Michael Mukasey may have been briefed in the case in 2007.

Interesting take on F&F:

As allegations surrounding Operation Fast and Furious continue to heat up, many major media outlets continue to call the fatal program “botched,” which is a factually incorrect characterization.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines botched as: to foul up hopelessly, to put together in a makeshift way.

The only thing botched about Operation Fast and Furious is that the American public found out about it. Fast and Furious was carried out exactly as planned: allow straw purchasers to transfer guns to cartels, let those guns get trafficked back to Mexico and see where they end up. There was no plan to trace these guns and no plan to inform the Mexican Government of the operation, either.

Tactics used during Fast and Furious seem like mistakes, but in fact were just part of the strategy and process of Fast and Furious. Calling the program botched implies the Obama Justice Department didn’t intentionally allow 2000 high powered guns, including AK-47s and .50-caliber sniper rifles, to walk into the hands of ruthless drug cartels without proper tracing mechanisms. The opposite is true. This was the intention of the program, not an operational mistake in the process.
To prove the operation wasn’t “botched,” let’s take a look at some testimony from ATF whistleblowers about the operation.

On June 15, 2011 ATF Field Agent John Dodson, one of the first whistleblowers to go public about the scandal, testified under oath before the House Oversight Committee about Fast and Furious.

“I was involved in this operation, we monitored as they purchased hand guns, AK-47 variants, and .50 caliber rifles almost daily. Rather than contradict any enforcement actions, we took notes, we recorded observations, we tracked movements of these individuals for a short time after their purchases, but nothing more. Knowing all the while, just days after these purchases, the guns that we saw these individuals buy would begin turning up at crime scenes in the United States and Mexico, we still did nothing,” Dodson said. “Allowing loads of weapons that we knew to be destined for criminals, this was the plan. It was so mandated.”
On July 26, 2011 ATF Senior Special Agent Jose Wall, who is based in Tijuana, Mexico also verified Fast and Furious was intended from the beginning to provide guns to cartels.

“I could not believe that someone in ATF would so callously let firearms wind up in the hands of criminals. And that this activity has seemingly been approved by our own Justice Department and ATF management in the misguided hope of catching the “big fish,” Wall said. “These firearms that are now in the hands of people who have no regard for human life pose a threat to all of us, a threat to which none of us is immune.”

ATF field agents knew Fast and Furious had the potential to get people killed, including federal agents. Vince Cefalu was one of those concerned agents and, although he knew he would face retaliation for exposing Fast and Furious to the public, he did it anyway. When Cefalu started speaking out against his superiors within ATF about the way Operation Fast and Furious was being conducted, he was approached within 24 hours and told to stop. He was also threatened and told if he didn’t shut his mouth, he would be relocated to North Dakota, a long way from where he had been working along the southern border with Mexico. Despite threats from his superiors, Cefalu blew the whistle about Operation Fast and Furious anyway, which has landed him under review for what he describes as “a proposal for removal for telling the truth.“

In September, Cefalu explained his concerns during a Fast and Furious town hall meeting in Tucson.

“To think that they could do this sort of operation knowing there could be a dead ATF agent at the ends of those guns made me nauseous,” Cefalu said.

Cefalu also described the skyrocketing murder rate in Mexico as “people getting killed wholesale,” and the federal government gave cartels the guns they need to do it.

To further prove Fast and Furious wasn’t botched in its implementation, ATF Phoenix Field Division Supervisor at the time, William Newell, described in emails that guns showing up at crime scenes in Mexico was proof the operation was working.

The only people who have been trustworthy and credible throughout the investigation into Fast and Furious have been ATF whistleblowers. ATF management officials and Department of Justice officials have done nothing but lie, stonewall and cover-up the lethal program.

The Obama Administration botched the cover-up of Fast and Furious. Lies perpetuated by the Holder Justice Department continue to be shredded by a handful of media outlets, Sen. Charles Grassley, Sen. John Cornyn, Rep. Darrell Issa and members of the House Oversight Committee, but in no way was allowing Mexican cartels to get their hands on high powered weapons a "mistake."

Katie Pavlich
News Editor, Townhall

http://townhall.com/columnists/katiepavlich/2011/11/10/fast_and_furious_was_not_botched/page/full/

No Eric, we dont want you fired and imprisoned because you are black.......its because you suck at your job, your policies are flawed and you supported treasonous activities that resulted in the deaths of Federal Agents and will continue to kill countless American and Mexican citizens for decades to come.

You are an irresponsible Progressive jackass who thinks he is entitled to operate above the law.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...y-justice-department-actions/?test=latestnews

I didn't even know he was black. And I couldn't care less, shitty policies are shitty policies.

I didn't even know he was black. And I couldn't care less, shitty policies are shitty policies.
No, it's because he's black,..
You're a subliminal racist. Didn't you know?

ATF Deputy Director Tom Brandon has suspended ATF Assistant Director of the Office of Professional Responsibility and Security Operations Bill McMahon, ATF Acting Deputy Director Billy Hoover and ATF Assistant Director in Charge of Field Operations Mark Chait until further notice from their cushy ATF management positions as the investigation into Operation Fast and Furious, of which McMahon, Hoover and Chait were heavily involved in, is on going. The rumor is that Brandon has a rough draft copy of the Justice Department Inspector General Report on hand, sparking the move.
Oh good. Maybe if we pretend to fire a couple guys, they'll change the report to make it look like the "problem" has already been taken care of,..

Article at Townhall.com

I'm curious if that's "suspended with pay",..

Back