• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old rooftop car hauler? Possibly Uhaul?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I've only seen these things a few times over the past few years, and can't for the life of me figure out what they're called or where to buy them... Basically, it's a heavy-duty long wheelbase truck that carries up to 2 vehicles on the roof (ramps leading up from the rear of the chassis and leveling out over the cab). I saw one the other day on IH95 heading back from Virginia, and it was painted in two-tone white and orange leading me to believe it was an old Uhaul vehicle. There's tons of room beneath the ramps/carrier for storage and gear, which makes me think it'd be a great hauler rig option.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd post pics if I could find them, but seem to be coming up short. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Campbell

Ah-ha, finally found a picture after getting crafty with search terms:

uhaul.jpg

It was referred to as a service truck on the site that had this image, but that's about all I can find. Any clues or tips?

Yeah there is no way you are going to fit 2 vehicles on it, unless you plan on those little electric cars. It is most likely a custom build.

i would love to see that rolling down the street with a fully built XJ on top

i'll have to see if i can dig up a pic of my friends dads that he uses to haul his roadsters to shows, it's a 94 chevy diesel with an extended rear frame and long dovetail that he can fit 3 cj's on or two of his stretched rat rods, he sold it a few years ago to buy an enclosed trailer

Thanks for the input. jmaxj, I'd love to see pics if you can find them.

I got in touch with U-Haul vehicle sales and left a message with the person who handles sales of those specific trucks so hopefully I'll have some pricing and availability info by tomorrow.

For anyone who's interested... Spoke to U-Haul and figured out that the service vehicles are 1988 and 1989 model Ford F350s and 1990 International trucks. All the ones with roof racks are designed to haul trailers, not vehicles (spot on, MuckSavage), meaning this is a bit of a dead-end for this topic.

The F350s sell for $3,500 to $5,000 (negotiable) and the Internationals are sold for $2,995, as they're in less demand and have manual transmissions. The Internationals are also based on their 26' box truck chassis, so they're pretty friggin big.

If anyone wants to buy one, ask for Susan at (866) 404-0355 (vehicle sales hotline). Just figured I'd share.

There's a guy around here that has one parked outside his shop alot, maybe I can take few pics next time I see it. His doesn't go all the way over the roof like the one posted but it has been extended i believe so It looks to be able to carry 2 cars. I see alot of derby cars parked there also so I think he may use it to haul em to the track.

Sam

Back