• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Cherokee

Txakura

NAXJA Forum User
Recently came into a '77 Cherokee Quadratrac, 360... I kind of like it. It's all steel and kind of cool the way it's fairly simple. The rear window works and it runs okay. It won't be doing anything more serious than heavy snow and should hold up fine. The body has no dents, the paint's faded but it has no body or rocker panel rust. (There is rust on the factory fender flairs towards the edges, but not near the body).

But, the grill and the front bumper are dinged up, I wandered around the net looking for repro, oem or NOS grills and didnt really find anything for it.

Anyone got any links or sources for the 70's Cherokee or even Wagoneer where I might find a fresh grill?

Thanks

Everything you need to know about FSJs

http://www.ifsja.org/

My brother had a 79 Cherokee and a 84 Wagoneer, both great rigs and easy to work on. Check for rust through on the frame above rear wheels, pretty common. The grills are interchangeable with a little modification of the hood latch, although the Razor grill looks the best IMHO.

Right on, thanks guys. Was reading more last night, realized it's the 1977 Cherokee 'S' Wide Track with the 'Razor Grill'. I definitely dig those straight body lines.

It'll be kind of nice to work with points again, ha ha. Have to blow the dust off my 'dwell meter'. Had it running yesterday and went a mile or two out and back. The biggest problem is the PO and that it sat for over a year that I know of. It's a 'z' code, so somewhere along the line the 401 got traded out for a 360. I can live with that, the 360 seems pretty tight and leak free. Runs ok, but there is some nasty fuel contamination to get out of there. Added a half tank and some iso heet, octane booster and carb cleaner.

When I get it home I'll go over it more thoroughly, right now it's parked at one of our shops. Should I post some pics when I can?

Not sure if my XJ is going to throw a fit when I start seeing an older woman... especially a bbw like the fsj...

Make sure you get that tank cleaned out, I had a 69, had a buick GS350 in it, T400 and spicer 20 transfer, D44's front and rear, the floor literally rusted out from under me and back then I had no idea how to fix it so sold it for a couple of hundred. Wish I still had it. That was back in 86.

I had an 83 for a few months.... needed way too much work to be drivable, let alone wheelable, so I sold it.

It was pretty though...

IM002145.jpg

The 75-77's had a problem with the stock ignition systems, Search the net for 'Prestolite jeep ignition fix' and you will find ways to fix it. Also, if it's an auto with the q-trac 4wd, the 4wd is vacuum operated. Check the vacuum hoses from the transfer case to the dash switch. The transfer case takes q-trac fluid only and you fill the case and the low range seperately. I had a 75, a 65, and a 66. They are good trucks. Good luck.

All good info, thanks AL. Here's some cell pics, that aren't great, but I like this old warrior and I took a minute to warm it up and drive it around a bit. When I pulled it back up I double checked the timing and it was purring like a kitten. I have never seen any engine sit so motionless and vibration free when its running, just rock solid and motionless on the mounts.

The deal is getting convoluted, essentially we took it for a debt, and the general manager figured I could have it for a work truck, or pay the (business) owners for the equivalent value for a private vehicle... well this morning the owners decided it can sit and the kid we got it from can have the opportunity to buy it back for all he owes plus the credit he was issued...

I'll put it away inside our shop so it can get out of the weather. I have the feeling that it'll be around for me to take ownership of later. I'm not going to get spun up about it.

here's some clickable thumbs

you know something about this tough old dog makes me want to do a restoration, not cut it up and modify it, the thing is, every piece is there (except the original 401)

I don't mean a trailer car or something silly, but a nice solid runner with proper colors, correct pieces and proper repairs

and that rear power window is cool as hell and the tailgate shuts as solid and smooth as a door

you know something about this tough old dog makes me want to do a restoration, not cut it up and modify it, the thing is, every piece is there (except the original 401)

I don't mean a trailer car or something silly, but a nice solid runner with proper colors, correct pieces and proper repairs

and that rear power window is cool as hell and the tailgate shuts as solid and smooth as a door

I loved the rear power window.

I have had mostly old muscle cars or 4x4s and I like my 4x4s lifted but I know what you mean about just doing a nice restoration. The 66 Wagoneer I had, I purchased it from the family of the original owner and it was in really nice condition. The interior was perfect, the electric tailgate window still worked, even the AC worked. It had an AMC 327 V8 that had just been rebuilt and it ran perfect and had tons of torque. Even though it was 4WD, it always seemed more like a hot rod to me.

Back