• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off road Bumper

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I was searching on this site and found a lot of good offroad bumpers. I was wondering what type of bumper is best for our "Northeastern" terrain. I really like the JCR pre-runner front, stage 1 rock rails, stage 2 rear. Just want some opinions from people who know how bad rust is here, open to ideas.
Thanks (Anyone close to Southern Maryland who wants to sell some used ones?)

I've got a JCR front. I bought it used, all rusty and cleaned it up good with a wire wheel and time, repainted it with a primer layer of rust reformer, nice semi gloss black on top and its been close to a year and its only got rust where I've scratched it real bad. I like their design, ties in well to the frame and has a good range of styles/prices to go with

I was wondering what type of bumper is best for our "Northeastern" terrain.

LOL, anything that will bounce off of trees well and not bend.:D

JCR makes some nice bumpers, AJ's Armor and Rigid are very nice too. Also, look at Protofab too, they make quality bumpers as well.

Thanks, I like the pre-runner cause if trees but moslty deer at night. I ll definitly get etended mounts or make ones. How much do they usually weigh. With a 3 inch lift how much would it "lower" it?

I dont really think its going to do a lot unless your springs are overly soft, or you have a winch bumber and winch. Both my front and rear bumpers (rear with tire carrier and 32") didnt drop me down any noticable bit. I had a forward rake before the bumpers, and even after the rear and tire on the back, STILL have a forward rake!!!!!

I was planning on doing a little bit of this with my tax return, then i remembered, books for college and college. Its not that much (+-1,000 per year I think?) for books and courses at the community college. So my summer and soon to be fulltime job will cover it all. Once I get a DD car, then its gonna really happen. Thanks for all the info so far, still new to this stuff but know most of the basics, but no experience.

The quality of the finish could be a major issue, I have a tomken rear on the 98 XJ, it came powder coated, the coating bubbled off after 2 years, I sanded it down and now just repaint it yearly with rustoleum as needed. I also have 2 warn front bumpers on the TJ's, they are over 5 years old, powder coated and look as good as they did when new.
Personally the JCR unfinished where you do it yourself is the way to go, stripping off powder coat is a SOB and time consuming. I'd rather prep it unpainted and paint it myself, makes maintenance easier. I also like the side protection of their front bumpers so I would go the next stage up for that.

I got my front bumper off ebay. just make sure it ties into the frame rails pretty far. It should use all the power steering gear box bolts.
I just hit a dear with mine a week ago. it didn't leave a mark. oh and id stay away from Nates4x4.com. hes slow and the communication is terrible. I still haven't had my order completed from oct7th of last year. just a heads up.

he sent me the bumper, but not the hardware I paid for with it. its been 15 weeks.

Last edited:
I have a bumper from Proto-Fab and I got it unfinished, I coated it with rhino liner over the bare metal or & it has worked great. I dont anticipate having to touch it up very often.

whatever you get, if you plan on using it as a tow point get extended mounts or stiffeners if not built into it.

I have a Rock Lizard Rock Monitor bumper that I love, fits great and had been rubbed on trees and rocks with no issues.

Jeepin.com has a good review page of it.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/rocklizard_bumper/index.asp

Hey could you give me the dimensions of your bumper? I'm gonna make my own.... it's a lot cheaper and almost as good of quality.

Thanks,

Zip

Back