• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

streetpirate said:
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD what year did they start putting cupholders in cars?
i cant think of any car older than 1990 that ive ridden that had cupholders.

my xj has plastic rings that wedge in nicely between the seats, half console, and e-brake
lever with one can size and one gatoraide size. one even has a brick of styrofoam under it to keep the drinks cool. (hot floorboards). if this sounds ghetto please feel free to design good non-console xj cupholders so i can buy them. thank you.
My 84 Colt Vista had cupholders all over the place. The only person who had to hold a drink was the middle passenger in the middle seat. The other 6 got cupholders. Lucky Pierre got an ashtray.

jeep made so many different modles. ive seen the front end of a CJ5 attatched to a 5th wheel receiver the size of a semi trucks. i dont remember if it was a dually or dual axles. at pirate they have every modle ever made listed from the first cj to the rubicon unlimited, i dont know what my mj is. probly base modle.
fog lights (think owner installed. no extra switches on the dash for them)
30/35
3.07s
ba10
longbed
carpeted
bench seat
every guage EXCEPT a tach
the part that stumps me is my italicised COMANCHE badges. its an 87. but ive seen 88s with the standard and italicised comanche badge. anyone know?

My 93Xj has colum shift AW4, rubber floors, PW/PS/PDL/tilt/cruise/selc-trak case (242?)/rear wiper/defrost/basic AM/FM radio w/ dash/driver/passenger/rear hatch speakers, factory front skid, t-case, gas tank skid, no tow hooks, basic gage package w/ 115mph certified calibration speedo and an aparently rare extended Idle switch. Factory switch makes the jeep idle at about 1-1200rpm. I've been told my jeep has bigger swaybars then other early 90's XJ's. All I know is it corners like it is on rails.

Last edited:
streetpirate said:

my xj has plastic rings that wedge in nicely between the seats, half console, and e-brake
lever with one can size and one gatoraide size. one even has a brick of styrofoam under it to keep the drinks cool. (hot floorboards). if this sounds ghetto please feel free to design good non-console xj cupholders so i can buy them. thank you.

My '81 CJ-7 came with cupholders in the factory console. :)

Might as well throw in my .02Cdn. I have three XJs, an 89 laredo, a 93 country and a 94 sport. The 89 is fairly normal...4.0/AW4/242 with pw/pdl/pulse wipers etc and no air.. but the other two are a bit odd. The 93 is a Country 4.0/AX15/231/air/tilt wheel/pulse/cruise/crank windows and dealer door locks. The 94 Sport has 4.0/AW4/242/tilt/pulse/cruise/air, but crank windows and manual locks. I guess it was whatever your imagination and your budget could agree on???

MaxxTraxx said:
My 93Xj has colum shift AW4, rubber floors, PW/PS/PDL/tilt/cruise/selc-trak case (242?)/rear wiper/defrost/basic AM/FM radio w/ dash/driver/passenger/rear hatch speakers, factory front skid, t-case, gas tank skid, no tow hooks, basic gage package w/ 115mph certified calibration speedo and an aparently rare extended Idle switch. Factory switch makes the jeep idle at about 1-1200rpm. I've been told my jeep has bigger swaybars then other early 90's XJ's. All I know is it corners like it is on rails.

Hey Max, where did you get your '93 at a auction or private seller and do you know any history about it?

Jeff

I've got a 2000 XJ with A 2.5L AX5, hp30, chysler 8.25, 4 door 4x4. Came with only power mirrors and a block warmer. Chysler doesn't even list parts for it because they say there were no 4 cylinder cherokee's in 2000. Sucks having a 4 banger, but what can I say, I get 24mpg on the highway with 31's!

streetpirate said:

theres someone on here with a ford(taurus maybe?) coin/cupholder in place of the middle heater vent. I think it looks real slick like it had come from the factory

wil4thril said:
Same with my 99 XJ Sport with Painted Flares......hahaha Mine also has auto lights that stay on for about 30 seconds after you shut it off but only if you turn the lights off after you shut the engine off.

Our 99 XJ Sport is also like this. pw/pl/rear defrost w/wiper/pm/tilt/cruise/foglamps/np 231/ 8.25, and the light delay. NO CRUISE. Ours was a lease turn in. I'm guessing that the local dealers here ordered the Cherokee's like that. When we were looking to buy ours, we looked at twelve different Cherokees, all lease turn ins, and only three had cruise. One sport, two classics. Weird. :wierd: We had cruise installed two years later. Well worth the $200.00 . It's a DD.

Also, I bought a 94 cheap model for parts. 4.0l/aw4/np231/d35/cassette/rear defrost and wipers. No tach,idiot lights,2-speed wipers. Pretty basic. It has ABS. Weird:wierd:

Re: oddly optioned xj's ????

CharlesS said:
Purchased new in October 1997; a 1998 XJ SE with Sport badges...
4.0L AX-15, NP 231, heavy duty radiator, Corp 8.25 w/TracLoc & fullsize spare, idiot light instrument cluster (no gauges), AM/FM cassette, factory alarm system w/o power door locks, A/C, tilt steering, cruise control, power mirrors, sun visor with lighted mirrors, rear windshield wiper & defroster, cloth seats & floor carpeting and basic steel wheels w/ 215/75's.

When I went looking for a Cherokee with a manual transmission...; the dealer I purchased the Jeep at didn't even know he had one on the lot..... He said that this package doesn't normally come with these options....

Charles

That sounds like mine. Is yours a 2 door, mine is. I have a full instrument dash, but everything else like yours. It will be a good dd, I drive a gas hog 96' ZJ loaded out Limited V8 and am selling that for the fun 5 speed, 2dr 4x4 XJ. :laugh3:

Troy

I run in to this old thread while searching for something else.
It got me thinking about a 96 XJ owned by somebody at work.
Bought it brand new, first owner, never modified it.
It has a front and rear Dana 44 axles.
I'm waiting for him to bring me his VIN to verify it with the dealer.
In the mean time I told him not to sell it without talking to me first.
What kind of 96 XJ comes from the factory with two Dana 44 axles?

falcon556 said:
I run in to this old thread while searching for something else.
It got me thinking about a 96 XJ owned by somebody at work.
Bought it brand new, first owner, never modified it.
It has a front and rear Dana 44 axles.
I'm waiting for him to bring me his VIN to verify it with the dealer.
In the mean time I told him not to sell it without talking to me first.
What kind of 96 XJ comes from the factory with two Dana 44 axles?

They stopped using all Dana 44 rear axles in usa cherokee's in 90. They never used a d44 up front, in any year.

88XJSport said:
They stopped using all Dana 44 rear axles in usa cherokee's in 90. They never used a d44 up front, in any year.

That's why I asked him for the VIN.
He never replaced any axles and bought it new.
Could it be an export or special contract model?

88XJSport said:
I dont know what year but some export cherokees have 44 in the back....but never in the front.

I hear Canadian XJs and YJ had f/r dana 44's. Also other foreign ones used in Central/South America. I never seen one personally though. Wow, get that XJ if he doesn't care about the good stuff and get him another XJ with the usual 30/35 if he wants ABS or 30/8.25 You could probably talk him into this if you get him a 97' or 98' that way he gets the newer look, and you aren't out a arm and a leg to buy it. That 96' has to be wheeled, it's a complete waste if it's not. :)

Big Red said:
I hear Canadian XJs and YJ had f/r dana 44's. Also other foreign ones used in Central/South America. I never seen one personally though. Wow, get that XJ if he doesn't care about the good stuff and get him another XJ with the usual 30/35 if he wants ABS or 30/8.25 You could probably talk him into this if you get him a 97' or 98' that way he gets the newer look, and you aren't out a arm and a leg to buy it. That 96' has to be wheeled, it's a complete waste if it's not. :)

His wife uses it as a DD, I need to talk to him.

ive seen front and rear dana 44.
export spec 1993. had amber front turn signals, no bulbs in the corner lights, and fender blinky lights. LHD though. was bought by a friend in germany when he was stationed there, then imported back here.

Back