• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest 2009 planning thread

all I asked was a simple question and all I wanted was a simple answer not a bunch of smart ass fuckin remarks! I dont wear my seatbelt wheelin plain and simple! I probably wont have a spare due to money and yeah your right yankin on the winch cable is stupid thats why I unspool it and use it the way it was intended to be used im not a fan of some yahoo yankin the shit out of my rig I dont have a tow strap SEE ABOVE my battery hold down is very strong and not redneck also not factory like the one you described further more I do NOT excpect anybody to help me out I take care of myself just fine I have wheeled with a good handfull of pepole from here and all of them will say my rig is well built and that I am a safe,sane and prepared seriously it's just wheelin not rocket science!!!!1

You should request username change to 'That Guy'. :looser:

1. I dont wear my seatbelt wheelin plain and simple!

2. my battery hold down is very strong and not redneck

3. further more I do NOT excpect anybody to help me out

1. Cool, I hope you are an organ donor.
2. bungee cords are known for being safe and not redneck at all. :looser:
3. Noted

If I'm doing tech. inspections, bungee cords will not pass.

And Paul, I'll be first to volunteer to lead a "big dogs" run of well built rigs on some of the harder stuff @ Naches.

Here is my take on NWFest '09:

Reiter would be a GREAT place to have this event. It has ample parking / caming, plenty of trails with a variety of difficulty & the weather GREATLY effects the terrain (be it good or bad). The fact that I live @ 6 miles from Reiter has no bearing on my decision. Actually I would offer my home for anyone wanting to shower / clean up or even pitch a tent.

BUT the way I see it, NWFest is supposed to be a memorable trip. The GRAND PUBA of trips...right? Kinda like the "Ultimate Adventure" I always dream of being invited to by one of the mags I read.

MOST of us can go to Reiter any time....but MOST of us can not go to Naches or into Oregon at anytime.

I have been to Naches several times & enjoy it every time. However I would like to run some different trails. Every time I go to Naches I end up running the same 4-5 trails.

I was over there one year in a Samuri & wheeled a portion of the Shoe String trail & had a blast. If memory serves me correctly, this is a rather lengthy trail. Might be a wheel & camp as you go. I am not sure.

I guess long story short, I am in for Naches (not Reiter) BUT would like to try a different area on some different trails. OR some where I have never been. I have heard / read about some great trails in Oregon.

So there you have it. A lengthy, meaningless response by a non-member :gee:

All the input helps and it doesn't matter if you are a member or not, everyone is responsible for helping to make these events better.

Rich

all I asked was a simple question and all I wanted was a simple answer not a bunch of smart ass fuckin remarks! I dont wear my seatbelt wheelin plain and simple! I probably wont have a spare due to money and yeah your right yankin on the winch cable is stupid thats why I unspool it and use it the way it was intended to be used im not a fan of some yahoo yankin the shit out of my rig I dont have a tow strap SEE ABOVE my battery hold down is very strong and not redneck also not factory like the one you described further more I do NOT excpect anybody to help me out I take care of myself just fine I have wheeled with a good handfull of pepole from here and all of them will say my rig is well built and that I am a safe,sane and prepared seriously it's just wheelin not rocket science!!!!1

Those were all serious replies. I don't want to drag your bloody carcass off the mountain, lend you a spare or a tow strap, scavenge a battery if someone has a dual-battery set-up because yours fractured or arced out by bouncing against the hood, wait on you pulling cable when a tow strap would be much faster, etc. The problem is that I will have to do or wait while someone else does those things if you show up with the lack of equipment and attitude you've displayed here. It wasn't intended to be a personal attack, but your attitude was "Screw it, this is how I want to wheel". That in turn breeds responses geared around "Screw you, that's irresponsible and no-one will want to wheel with you".

Everyone at one time or another has needed help from someone else on the trail, whether it was spare parts, tools, knowledge, or labor. That's just part of the deal, no-one has a problem with that per-se. It's when you act like you don't care that you've shown up unprepared and will likely unnecessarily inconvenience/delay the group at some point that is the difference. No-one will want to wheel with that guy.

Those were all serious replies. I don't want to drag your bloody carcass off the mountain, lend you a spare or a tow strap, scavenge a battery if someone has a dual-battery set-up because yours fractured or arced out by bouncing against the hood, wait on you pulling cable when a tow strap would be much faster, etc. The problem is that I will have to do or wait while someone else does those things if you show up with the lack of equipment and attitude you've displayed here. It wasn't intended to be a personal attack, but your attitude was "Screw it, this is how I want to wheel". That in turn breeds responses geared around "Screw you, that's irresponsible and no-one will want to wheel with you".

Everyone at one time or another has needed help from someone else on the trail, whether it was spare parts, tools, knowledge, or labor. That's just part of the deal, no-one has a problem with that per-se. It's when you act like you don't care that you've shown up unprepared and will likely unnecessarily inconvenience/delay the group at some point that is the difference. No-one will want to wheel with that guy.

In addition, with the right attitude, I would have personally tried to help out by finding a spare tire, a tow strap, and would have built a proper battery strap for this guy and had everything ready for him at the event. Now... I'd drive around his broke-ass Jeep and continue on my way.

Therin is the crux of the issue IMO. I personally have no problem driving around a guy who's broke down and acted like a petulant child, but the code of group wheeling requires that someone in the group help him get his rig mobile and off the trail safely, if not actually repaired. When a guy has shown up minus about five critical common sense items and attitudes, my motivation to help is pretty low. If this guy truly says "I don't need or expect anyone to help me" while out on the trail like he has here, then yeah, I'm wheeling on, he can fend for himself. I'm guessing his tune will change when miles out of camp on a remote trail something breaks (including possibly his arm from not wearing a seatbelt)

Just doesn't make a lick of sense.

"I don't believe in safety, having the basic proper items in my rig, or an agreeable attitude. But I want to wheel with you guys."

Yeah, okay..... :D

I vote for Naches this year again but i would like to go earlier in the year so that we could play in some of the mud!!!! And so i can bring MY jeep this year!!!!!

-PJ-

I vote for Naches this year again but i would like to go earlier in the year so that we could play in some of the mud!!!! And so i can bring MY jeep this year!!!!!

-PJ-

Depending on the trail and your level of equipment (i.e. lockers, tire size/style, rocker protection) the trails turn form a Sunday drive to a survival exercise. OK not really, but i hit naches pass a couple years ago with the 33's swampers and even with both ARB's on i still was reduced to the hook to make forward progress.

That being said.... I'm up for early.... LETS GO!!!

Dingo

I have been over there stuck in the snow, digging my self out wearing shorts & flip flops!! That was awesome to be stuck in snow & still be warm.

heck there was still snow blocking our progress last June at NW fest. makes for some long ass detours if you go to early.....

food for thought.

This is true, IF were willing to trudge/ winch through some of the drifts I think it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would like to go a little earlier in the year also just to avoid the heat that we had last year.

-Alex

I've been to Naches in early June twice, the snow in the upper elevations is impassible. If you like winching for most of the day, then have at it. It makes for too much work and too little wheeling IMO.

Back