• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest 2009 planning thread

Hmmm Okay. no arguements there. im one of the "If the shoe fits..wear it" kind of guys. i guess i cant use 70 large zipties either?

There's no rule against zip ties.

Hmmm Okay. no arguements there. im one of the "If the shoe fits..wear it" kind of guys. i guess i cant use 70 large zipties either?

In my book, 1 Very large zip tie or several layers of Duct Tape would be a much better "temporary" battery hold down than the bungee cord :D

Either way, the check list is a good minimum guideline for any vehicle and/or run. At every event we have done tech inspections at in the past we have found some "questionable" items. If these items are not fixable at least we can find ways of lessening the impact of them and make the rest of the group aware of them so that no one gets hurt.

Michael

Yeah, we mentioned safety check as part of the tech inspection. It includes but not necessarily is limited to:

* seat belts for driver all passengers
* fullsize (or close) spare tire
* tow points front and rear
* jack capable of lifting your vehicle
* fire extinguisher
* proper tow strap (minimum 20 ft, no metal hooks)
* first-aid kit
* proper battery hold-down

I would also include:
* a set of basic hand tools
* a change of warm clothing or at least a jacket
* snacks or a meal of some sort

This can all be worked out by the commitee, which I would be happy to serve on.

Doug

EDIT: fixed for Joe.
I have a few questions about these rules since I have never gone to NWF.
I have seat belts but I don't wear them when I wheel
I don't have any spare and dont have the money to buy one nor do I want one
I dont have a tow point in the front just my winch
I dont have a tow strap and have never needed one my winch and tree strap work just fine
and what is a proper battery hold down im sure alot of us have come up with many differnet hold downs

does any of this mean I can't attend?

I dont have a tow strap and have never needed one my winch and tree strap work just fine
and what is a proper battery hold down im sure alot of us have come up with many differnet hold downs

Are you joking?

Some of these make sense. but i do have to agree with the standing fact that rules are rules and we cannot be joking about safety issues!

-PJ-:read:

But would we have to worry about the tweekers wandering into camp and accidentally getting shot?

Okay standing orders : Don't shoot Rich while he's tweeking. ( Clubbing him down may be acceptable).:twak:

Problem solved. Unfortunately that sort of problem can happen anywhere.

Seat belts: Wear them or don't wheel with us. No-one wants to drag your bloody carcass off the mountain because you're too cool to click your belt.

Spare: Personally, I don't care. As far as group safety and the ability to continue in the event of a flat, finding someone else with the same size spare and wheel pattern in the group willing to loan it to you should be acceptable.

Tow point: Yanking on the winch cable is stupid, it's designed for a steady pull, not a shock-load. That said, I'd go group consensus, and have one of the "Aye"s be directly in front of you all day as your winch anchor.

Tow strap: See above, if someone is willing to loan you one, OK

Battery hold down: The "proper" one is one that's designed to hold down the battery, usually made of plasti-coated metal with two metal shafts that anchor in the tray, nuts hold the studs down tight against the top of the battery. Anything else is redneck, the severity of which will be deterined by the group.

Seriously, just make that shit right. It's not rocket science.

Seat belts: Wear them or don't wheel with us. No-one wants to drag your bloody carcass off the mountain because you're too cool to click your belt.

Spare: Personally, I don't care. As far as group safety and the ability to continue in the event of a flat, finding someone else with the same size spare and wheel pattern in the group willing to loan it to you should be acceptable.

Tow point: Yanking on the winch cable is stupid, it's designed for a steady pull, not a shock-load. That said, I'd go group consensus, and have one of the "Aye"s be directly in front of you all day as your winch anchor.

Battery hold down: The "proper" one is one that's designed to hold down the battery, usually made of plasti-coated metal with two metal shafts that anchor in the tray, nuts hold the studs down tight against the top of the battery. Anything else is redneck, the severity of which will be deterined by the group.

The one thing I would add to this: If you don't have a spare don't expect anyone to loan you one, baby sit you, or drive you into town to get a repair made. On a NAXJA run if you are in an XJ you are likely to have someone with swapable parts but on a general run with "whoever" the likely hood of someone else having something that would work for you is absurd.

The one thing I would add to this: If you don't have a spare don't expect anyone to loan you one, baby sit you, or drive you into town to get a repair made. On a NAXJA run if you are in an XJ you are likely to have someone with swapable parts but on a general run with "whoever" the likely hood of someone else having something that would work for you is absurd.

X's 2

i am all for helping a brotha out on the trail. but tossing evryone elses spare parts at him and tugging the same guy out over n over again when he doesn't even have his own recovery strap etc.....all day long. is just plain annoying.

go prepared !!!!! or die in the boonies :skull1:

And if you don't listen to Doug, something bad will probably happen to you.:shiver:

-Alex

well, besides the battery tie down, i fully agree. front and rear tow points, i personally use my hitch and a shackle in the rear, and my front bumper with shackles works.

seat belts... well.. whats gonna keep you in your rig when you roll tire side up?
Your winch will help in alot of areas. but a recovery strap is alot faster in alot of situations.

Spare tire. I don't have one either. But i agree, and support the rule. your tires are no better then anyone elses when it comes to trail damage. you cant predict, just prepare.

If its summer time. i highly suggest water. the more the better. Its a Known fact the 4.0 likes to heat up. just because its never overheated on you before. the rest of the group shouldn't have to pay for your ignorance.

Remember, just because its "Never been needed before" don't mean your invincible. these rules are "Insurance" yeah.. that annoying weight will come in hand one day. just like that annoying Bill will pay for itself when someone rear ends you on a F&^%NG off ramp.

/rant

My vote is for Naches again. I enjoyed riding along last year and would like to go back with my rig since it isnt somewhere I get to travel all to much. Reiter is alot closer and can be run anytime, Id like to have it somewhere out of the way that we hardly get to visit.

And about the trail equipment and such, the proper trail needs are next on my list after lift, tires, tow points, and sliders. If your in a bad situation halfway up a mountain you want to have the correct stuff at your aid.

-Lyle

We'll come up with a list and sticky it.

Or maybe someone already has?

Back