• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWC Picture of the day

Found this waterfall up near Lost Lake yesterday. Can't find it on any map and have no clue what it's called. It's pretty though.

AeO56Xx.jpg

And this is why I need to fix my Jeep. I could've done this in two wheel drive in it, impassable in the car. 12 miles back down to the road on tiny Lake Branch Road.

RhxAhfe.jpg

I've never towed and even I know that with towing its best to get as much weight on the axle of the trailer than to do that.

Actually tongue weight is good. If your tongue weight is too little the trailer behaves badly (ever seen a trailer that's squirrely for no good reason?). That said I don't know the factory tongue weight rating on a ZJ. On an XJ that rating is all of 500 pounds. So in an XJ you'd want to set that weight up so that the tongue has nearly 500 pounds on it (in load plus trailer weight). That would probably mean that load is mostly over the trailer axle(s), maybe biased forward a little bit.

IIRC, tongue weight should usually be positive (needs to be lifted onto ball) and around 10% of the towed weight including trailer. Lower than that (especially when you dip into the negatives) and you are going to fishtail.

You don't want to always have max tongue weight, basically aim for ~10% of the towed weight and keep it under the max for the towing vehicle.

I know nothing about weight distributing hitches. Everything is probably different with them.

Ken is correct about the 10%. I was assuming that big ass box was ****ing heavy and the 10% would overload the tongue weight.

Actually tongue weight is good. If your tongue weight is too little the trailer behaves badly (ever seen a trailer that's squirrely for no good reason?). That said I don't know the factory tongue weight rating on a ZJ. On an XJ that rating is all of 500 pounds. So in an XJ you'd want to set that weight up so that the tongue has nearly 500 pounds on it (in load plus trailer weight). That would probably mean that load is mostly over the trailer axle(s), maybe biased forward a little bit.

That's why I said as much as possible lol I knew some weight up front helps for control, just not 1500 like boring Dave stated lol positive note though, I didn't know the tongue rating was 500 for an xj lol

Very nice! Real good for prairie dogs and rats if you go over to the east side at all.

Sage rats are our plans.

We got a cheep .22lr also. Plan on giving it more of a tacticool snipper look, with a fake suppressor and big 50mm optics. It's going to be for my son.
uda6anaz.jpg

Back