• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Wiring NEED HELP!!!

Project_MudXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im a little on the shallow end of the pool when it comes to electric systems and wiring. I know a little like how to cut, solder, extend and simple junk like that. Anyways, I need to wire up my NSS to simulate it being in Park/Neutral for my Manual transmission. The reason being because I swapped out my AW4 for a manual transmission. This is the last piece before I am finished.

Heres what it says in the Sticky - Download at www.JeepForum.com about the wires:

Connector Terminals
B + C have continuity in Park + Neutral
A + E have continuity in Reverse
A + G have continuity in 3rd
A + H have continuity in 1st and 2nd

I was told by one guy that I could just cut and solder wires B and C to make it work. He also had a hangover and said he might be wrong. If its the case, where do I put the NSS? There is no spot to put it on my Manual Transmission. He also said to leave the other wires alone because it controls the reverse lights, which makes sense. Im just not sure, but I need help quick because I need my XJ runnin quick. Thanks

You don't need any of it for a manual trans accept the backup light wires.
Just ground the lower right terminal on the start relay.

srelay.jpg

Last edited:
Project_MudXJ said:
Im a little on the shallow end of the pool when it comes to electric systems and wiring. I know a little like how to cut, solder, extend and simple junk like that. Anyways, I need to wire up my NSS to simulate it being in Park/Neutral for my Manual transmission. The reason being because I swapped out my AW4 for a manual transmission. This is the last piece before I am finished.

Heres what it says in the Sticky - Download at www.JeepForum.com about the wires:

Connector Terminals
B + C have continuity in Park + Neutral
A + E have continuity in Reverse
A + G have continuity in 3rd
A + H have continuity in 1st and 2nd

I was told by one guy that I could just cut and solder wires B and C to make it work. He also had a hangover and said he might be wrong. If its the case, where do I put the NSS? There is no spot to put it on my Manual Transmission. He also said to leave the other wires alone because it controls the reverse lights, which makes sense. Im just not sure, but I need help quick because I need my XJ runnin quick. Thanks

Yes, just cut and solder the B&C wires together. In the later FSM's the pins are numbered 6 and 7. On the connector, they are the two center pins on the opposite side of the retaining clip.

The wires for Reverse get wired to the reverse switch on your manual tranny. My 95 FSM has them labelled 4 and 8 and they are are on opposite corners of the connector. To verify you've got the right wires, one should have 12volts on it and the other goes to the reverse lights.

Back