• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np242 vs dana300

Well I ask because I will be wheeling alot in a couple months do to I have all the parts and sheet metal is almost done....
And I have heard of 242 snapping alot if you get to friendly with the skinny petal.

OR for maybe $800-1000 if your lucky you can get a beefy 241or with 4:1 and the equivalent of an sye when you swap on the necessary yokes...and its bolt in

i thought the 242 was a little beefier than a 231j? i have no facts to back that up, just hearsay. not that it matters much, i'm not putting in a 242, i'm just curious.

It's like axles, everybody has their religion. The 242 is fine and some people replace their 231s with a 242. I like my 242 for the gear options - all time 4 wheel and part time.

The reason the 242 is thought to be weaker is because it has a differential inside it which could fail sooner than the 231 which doesn't have one.

Disadvantages: must buy or fab a flip kit (downeastoffroad.com $600), getting harder to find (found on '81-'86 CJs).

Try $168.00 from Novak.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm

To the OP, if you are running larger mud tires and stock axles the least of your worries is your transfer-case. Sounds like you are about to do a lot of work for not a big advantage. It's an inline 6 not a 500hp LSX engine. You're going to destroy shafts and other axle parts long before you will trash your transfer-case.

I bent a 35 shaft mall crawling in my yard....

You have a D35 and you are worried about your transfercase? Pretty sure a D35 will blow up if you just look at it wrong. You need to ditch the turdy5 first.

I am working on getting a set of 3/4 tons 60/60 combo

Because I say 35s and every one says upgrade so I am
Isn't the ubolt on a 44 the same size as a 30? If so I don't see how it's an upgrade other than shafts

you don't need 60s.

hell, a stock 29 spline 8.25 will do 35s as long as you're not stupid, so will the D30.
I've been beating on a D30 with 34/35" tires for a long time now.

I can understand the do it once mentality, but 60's is just plan absurd with 35's.

This is my unsolicited opinion:
If it were mine, I would stuff an 8.8 in the rear to replace the D35, get the disc brakes and a strong axle. Stuff a lunchbox locker in the 8.8 (Oh noes, the weak stock carrier!) and beat on it until something broke. Carry some spare front shafts and not worry about it.

how about a 9 inch?
Junkyards dont have 8.8s often they have been taken
a 9 inch is $150

I am torn between my plans
I like the cheap 8.25
But I am a bit hard on my xj I am not afraid of the skinny pedal at all.....

8.25 will be fine, I think you're over thinking this and getting ahead of yourself here.. and the 30 will be fine unlock. You're talking about axle swap that cost $$$ and if you're on a budget, thats certainly not the route you wanna go.

Because I say 35s and every one says upgrade so I am
Isn't the ubolt on a 44 the same size as a 30? If so I don't see how it's an upgrade other than shafts
The only thing/s that are similar are the axle tubes and bp the rest are completely different. XJDana 44's are $$$ tho.

Back