• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 231 vs. np 242

Depends on what you are using it for? trail rig? d/d?

It's an old debate, and one that's sure to keep coming up over & over again. There's lots of info to be had on here alone, and a quick search will turn up hours of reading fun.

That being said, here's my $0.02

The 231 is a strong, simple, adaptable little t-case. It enjoys a massive aftermarket following and can be built to handle V8 power and good-sized tires. You can get 4:1 low range gears for it, and twin-stick adapters are also available. (I believe.) The only downside to the 231 is that it cannot be used on dry roads, (and some say high-traction rocks, but I can't vouch for this.) This might not seem too bad, and wouldn't be a problem if your rig is a trail-only machine. However, if you drive on partially snow-covered roads where some portions are free and clear of any slippery stuff while others are coated, it can be a PITA to keep switching between 2wd and part-time 4wd.

The 242 is almost as tough as the 231, but while it's not rated for the same levels of power the 231 is, the 242 has been successfully run behind the 5.2 V8's found in Grand Cherokee's. (Look into 249 to 242 t-case swaps on the web, you'll see what I mean. Aftermarket support isn't anywhere near the same as for the 231, but stuff is out there. The best thing about the 242 is that it has a full-time 4wd option that allows the vehicle to be driven on any surface road without fear of catastrophic damage to the case.

I like the 242. It's a solid case that gives me the best of all worlds when it comes to wheeling, and driving my Jeep every day. (Or loaning it to someone and not worrying about them bringing it back with a grenaded t-case.)

:)

also with a pre-97, 231 t-case you have to have a vaccum disconnect front axle (2 piece front passenger side axle shaft)
and with the 242 there is no disconnect...
but like what was said earlier, there isnt very much aftermarket support and i think there is like only one company that makes an sye/hack-n-tap kit (rubicon express)
242 in my opinion is your best bet.
-shomsky

Shomsky462 said:
also with a pre-97, 231 t-case you have to have a vaccum disconnect front axle (2 piece front passenger side axle shaft)

WRONG WRONG WRONG:hang:

I own a 96 and 94 both with the NP231. The front axle disconnect ceased on the Heep's around 90 -91.
Thanks for playing.:moon: lol j/k

Shomsky462 said:
but like what was said earlier, there isnt very much aftermarket support and i think there is like only one company that makes an sye/hack-n-tap kit (rubicon express)
242 in my opinion is your best bet.
-shomsky

C'mon man. If you don't know FOR SURE, please don't try to tell people "facts"

nvcases.jpg

Most of the vehicles around here that had the 242, are no longer running with their stock TC. Now, there are a bunch of people including me that are running their stock 231 with no problems. You can't even find a 242 in a junk yard here. So far, from the people that I've personally talked to, the 242 is junk. But, I live in the sticks of Michigan, and we do beat the tar out of our stuff.

I believe the front output shaft on the 242 is bigger than the one on a 231. Both transfercases have the same weak spot, the output shafts to the rear driveline will snap. If you do a SYE on a 231 that is not a hack & tap it will replace this shaft with one way bigger and stronger. On the 242 your only option I am aware of is just a hack & tap with the stock weak shaft. My offroad Jeep has a 231 with heavy duty SYE, my on road Jeep's both have 242's. I absolutely love the 242 on rainy days, 4WD full time just floor it and go. My jeep with the 231 dosn't have this option so it is 2wd drifts all day.

Approx. 22 years ago I owned a Chevy 4X4 step side pick up truck. It had 9" of lift, and 39" MT tires. I drove it to Tahoe many times to Ski, and even did some rock crawling with it on the Con. (And yes, it suffered painfully for it) But never did I worry about the
T-case (NP 205), which I believe was a full time unit, and never did it explode.

Is the 231 just a weak unit comparatively speaking, or is all the hype about the 231 not being able to handle pavement more myth then fact? Or was i just lucky? Anyone ever break their 231 divining it in the snow/ pavement scenario? Not trying to start a flame, just curious. I currently have the 242, and plan on up-grading to an Atlas soon.

Thanks,
Gar

Last edited:
I had a TJ with the 231 and abused it regularly on road during the winters. Never had any problems. I have a 242 in my XJ and have not had any problems. I know of many other people who run the 242 and have no problems whatsoever. The aftermarket stuff for the 242 is harder to find, but there is stuff out there.

The np231 is marginally stronger then the 242. The biggest issue is you can not get a true HD 32 spline output shaft for the np242 like you can with the 231. The other issue is the np231 is a smaller t-case being it is more simple and lacking "fulltime", but you gain 1" of ground clearance with the np231.

So for somone that offroads and is lifted on 33s+ I think the np231 is a worthy swap because I never use "fulltime" anymore since I am locked up with lunchbox lockers. My main reason for the swap was to gain the 32 splinde output shaft and 1" of ground clearance. I can say my 242 never had a single issue with 33s or 35s and an RE hack n tap SYE.

Someone mentioned the 231 not as good onroad, well its fine just missing fulltime. I live in Alabama and didn't use it much whenstock, but with lockers and large tires its never used. I've run a np231 in 4wd (missing rear driveshaft) going 70 mph many time with zero issues.

231 or 242. I have not torn a 242 apart but I know the 231 is simple. The 242 has an extra gear set to provide a 48% front 52% rear torque split. The 231 is probably cheaper to fix. People tell me if your off road most of the time 231, if your on road/city lots of winter use 242. Either one change the fluid now and then. They have pumps in them and screens but they just keep the big chunks of crap from floating around. AND .....you will get the most life out of them if you dont shift under load. Dont shift into 4x4 while on the gas and your rear tires are spinning at all. It starts to round the edges off the gears and then you get jumping out of gear problems and larger metal particles floating around wearing everything else out.

I run my 242 almost continuously from about the beginning of December to March. No problems ever. I only have about 1.5" of lift, though, and run just 235/75/R15s right now. As far as I'm concerned, after reading as many posts as I could over the years, and having read all the technical data available, I'll stick with my 242.

Back