• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not sure what is going on.......

SgtMojo67

NAXJA Forum User
It seems my cooling fan kicks on about every 10 seconds and then shuts off. The AC Clutch does the same thing......Not sure why this is happening. I'm pretty sure the fan kicking off and on so frequently is an issue. Where do I start? I've owned the jeep for about 4 months now and I'm slowly fixing odds and ends. It's a '98 Cherokee Classic with the 4.0....

It seems my cooling fan kicks on about every 10 seconds and then shuts off. The AC Clutch does the same thing......Not sure why this is happening. I'm pretty sure the fan kicking off and on so frequently is an issue. Where do I start? I've owned the jeep for about 4 months now and I'm slowly fixing odds and ends. It's a '98 Cherokee Classic with the 4.0....

It will do that if the AC controls is set to defrost. The AC compressor and the fan is triggered by the ECM to dry the moisture from the air going to the windshield in order to speed up the defrost time.

Mine does that no matter what setting I have the air on (heat or a/c). Doesn't matter what setting I have for where it's blowing.

Most vehicles operate this way... when in defrost mode, AC kicks in to help with defrosting ... poster with AC and cooling fan coming on no matter what vent is selected has an issue...

Mine does that no matter what setting I have the air on (heat or a/c). Doesn't matter what setting I have for where it's blowing.

Thats not normal, especially on just heat.

It's not whether the A/C or the heat is on...if the heat is on and the "mode" is defrost it'll kick on...and off. If your compressor is kicking on when the heat is on any other setting or "mode" (floor, vent, front etc.) and not set to defrost then something is awry.

I was talking about the electric fan, not the the compressor.

Back