• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob exhaust

yeah right they have zero restriction, i run a flowtech purple horny and my buddy runs a cherry bomb, both are glass packs, i turned three guys from flowmaster 40s to glass packs because of the sound and power, in my opinion there the best option, but then again we run hollow cats and i'm sure that makes a big difference

I am sure it doesn't

There is no real difference between No cat, and a cat that works properly. Several people have tested this.

Well I was just on Rustys web site and Dyno max, magna flow. WOW Pricey mufflers but look well made and one has a 3 yr warrenty good in salty western Pa. so maybe in the spring I will pick one and build my own tail pipe back with 2,5 or 3" pipe.

I've got a Gibson exhaust on mine. Fairly quiet, sounds good.

none of them flow, they sound loud, notice I did not say good. Dynomax and borla both flow better and sound better imho

You're wrong. Period

Seeing as how I have installed hundreds of custom exhausts I'll chime in. The new flowmasters flow just as well and slightly better than the Dynomax, and I run a Dynomax cat back. The older flowmasters didn't flow quite so well but that's been several years ago. They are all getting to the point of being pretty comprable. The difference comes down to prefered exhaust note. There will always be shitty flowing mufflers (bullet style glasspacks for example), but the exhaust market has gotten pretty good and todays mufflers are pretty effecient despite manufactuer.

Last edited:
You're wrong. Period

Seeing as how I have installed hundreds of custom exhausts I'll chime in. The new flowmasters flow just as well and slightly better than the Dynomax, and I run a Dynomax cat back. The older flowmasters didn't flow quite so well but that's been several years ago. They are all getting to the point of being pretty comprable. The difference comes down to prefered exhaust note. There will always be shitty flowing mufflers (bullet style glasspacks for example), but the exhaust market has gotten pretty good and todays mufflers are pretty effecient despite manufactuer.

so would you like to get new flow data? because all the articles and tech writeups I have seen list them towards the bottom. That is on here, horsepowerjunkies, ls1.com, ls1tech.com, modernmopar, chevyhighperformance ect. One person has already posted up a link to the flow numbers. So if you have a newer set then by all means, bring them.

The question was asked specifically about a flow40. The do not flow - proven by the numbers unless you can come up with new ones. They do sound like shit, especially without a cat - opinion. The hushpowers run a good chance of having better flow numbers (I would love to seen them, it is a nice tight muffler design), and if you are talking about the single chambers, they do not flow terribly either. However I think the single chambers sound even worse than a 40, save for a few specific applications.

If OP wants a 40, by all means go for it, but for the money there are much better sounding and performing options out there. I do not mind being wrong, but wheres the data?

from ehall's link since you did not feel like reading:
http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3056877&postcount=14

2 ¼” Cherry Bomb 239 CFM
2 ½” Cherry Bomb 294 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

the only thing on here that flows WORSE is a 2.25in cherrybomb. If you read that link, there is also a HP gained comparison, flowmaster had the least gains of all but one muffler tested.

is it true that if you put a good flowing muffler on, you lose some torque? or would that take more then just replacing the muffler?

It's not so much the muffler as the whole system. If you use a big high-flow muffler along with bigger pipes then the low-end torque will definitely fall off, but if you keep the exhaust tight then the pressure will be centralized into the muffler where there is room for it to expand.

OE for me :). It's an 89 and sounds pretty beefy without a aftermarket styled muffler.

Back