• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob exhaust

jshaab2

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i have a 2001 xj sport. stock with 235/75 at's recovery etc. and i read a few threads on JF.com on putting a flowmaster on but my problem is idk which one to get. and wahts the diffrence between the super/standard 44/40 series . can anyone help me please

that is a pretty common opinion on this board, and just about any that try for horsepower over sound

edit: I would like to try out the hushpower 2 muffler though, it looks kinda nice and would tuck in real tight.

I have the flowmaster 50 series SUV/Truck muffler. Its the same muffler that Rustys off-road includes in their exhaust kit which is where I first heard the muffler on my buddys 94 XJ. What I noticed is the sound out of that muffler is alot better than the 40 series which is what most people go with. I did some research and found out the 50 series SUV/Truck muffler has a special tuning chamber in it that cuts out the higher pitched ricer-like noises that the Jeep I6 can make so all u get really is the low end grunty noises. I have heard alot of mufflers on Jeeps from dinomax to borla to gibson, and on and i think this is the best sounding muffler. Its not as loud as the 40 series or others but its not quiet either. I have have a single in dual out muffler so I could have dual exhaust (not to be confused with TRUE dual which cant really be accomplished on an inline motor). Mine and mine buddy's single exhaust sound the same but mine is a bit louder due to two pipes and my pipes are bigger and I have two tips coming straight out which project the sound better. Anyway I say go with that muffler and if you want a nice bolt on kit that you can do in your own driveway then go for the Rustys kit with the 50 series muffler. I know its better to get exhaust welded in but my buddys has been doin great now for 4 years with no problems. There is my 2 cents

I do not agree...Do you have flow bench number's to back up what you said.

T.

Any absorption muffler is gunna flow better than a diffusion muffler. There's far less restriction in a straight through style than in a chambered muffler for obvious reasons.

I do not agree...Do you have flow bench number's to back up what you said.

T.

I don't know about Dynomax, but i swear by Borla, and i can guarantee you that Borla flows better...but doesn't sound as cool! :roll:

yea, but if it is so widely know that they do not flow that I can confidently assume that someone else has the flow numbers handy, I dont worry about posting them.

If you are going to spend 80-100 on a muffler, there are much better choices than a flowmaster. Some like the sound, I dont. Magnaflow and dynomax both sound better imho, and they both rank higher on that flow list

I've got a 40 series Flowmaster in mine
I don't like the sound,
I didn't notice any performance beyond what you might expect from the downpipe I put in at the same time.
Heck wtih the Flowmaster, go Borla or any straight-through

im runnin a Dynomax Ultraflow welded muffler on my 98 XJ, its loud and drones a little but no where near as bad as the flowmaster 40 i had on my 95, the dynomax sounds great and it pulls a little better at high rpm's

muffler_001.jpg

im running a strait manifold. sounds good.. mind you im affraid of heat damage so i dont let it idle for more then 5 mins. hahaha

Back