• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Question for guys on 38's

a guys rig from pirate is another height i like to set at. either one would be perfect.

this guy had 4.5 RE ZJ coils and i think a 2" puck, not sure.

FullwidthXJ.jpg

FWXJ2.jpg

Jes said:
SeanP with his 38.5X12.5s and about 8"s of lift...
picture.JPG

This is total thread jacking but who made the Roof rack on SeanP's rig. any links would be appreciated.

Sorry

We now return to rigs on 38's.

paul_xj04 said:
i think i got it. here is a pic of a friend thats on 38's. he has 8" coils and a 2" puck. this is about the same height i want.

kenscherokee1.jpg
Thats too tall. 8" is plenty. My next set of tires will be 39.5" Irocks and I won't be going any hire than I am currently. That extra two inches can have very negative consequenses. I would just trim your fenders. I wheel in stuff that looks a lot like that and I am taller than everyone else I wheel with and it gets scary every once in a while, most people around here run with about 4-5" of up travel, they often fit tire sizes that most would consider too big for the amount of lift.

Last edited:
YETI said:
This is total thread jacking but who made the Roof rack on SeanP's rig. any links would be appreciated.

Sorry

We now return to rigs on 38's.

URF Racing, they don't have a website yet. ;)
A couple other examples of it... here...and here.

paul_xj04 said:
Bruiser what size front coils do you have up front, is there any spacers?

woody thanx for the pics. how do you like the 1/4 elliptic. does it give you any problems?

Thanx guys keep the pix coming. can anyone tell me how to post some.

I have 6" rockkrawler coils up front and no spacers.. but I mounted the coils on the radius arm mounts so that should give ya about 2" more lift then a stock Jeep axle.. but my coils have settled some so that is why i think I am around 7".

Ken C
www.impaks.com

C-ROK said:
38.5x14.50 Swamper SXs.
I've cut about 6-8" out of the back of the fender and cut the top of the fenderwell out all the way to the crown in the center of the well and then welded in new fenderwells.
I have quite a bit of travel and get some rear steer because of my links that requires more trimming in the rear of the fenderwell than a leaf or non-biased link system would require.
My rear axle is 67" WMS to WMS w/ the spacers.
Still don't see how you could "stuff" 38s w/o a lot of cutting.
Golden%20Crack%201.JPG

The new cage looks great with the top on it.

Big Red said:
I guess people "need" bigger than 35" tires in Disney, Oklahoma or Tellico or stuff??? :) I have seen so many built jeeps of all kinds with 40"+ tires. Out here in Northern Cali (Rubicon, Fordyce, etc) 35's seem to work good and maybe even 33's.

Nice build xj/mj's guys. Keep um coming and try to send them to Billy for the XJ database collection. xjdb.com
Troy

Yep I am with you Troy these rigs are very nice and a lot of engineering and good idea's but I just dont see the NEED for tires that big where we are. unless of course you are building a competition rock crawler.

C-ROK said:
38.5x14.50 Swamper SXs.
I've cut about 6-8" out of the back of the fender and cut the top of the fenderwell out all the way to the crown in the center of the well and then welded in new fenderwells.
I have quite a bit of travel and get some rear steer because of my links that requires more trimming in the rear of the fenderwell than a leaf or non-biased link system would require.
Golden%20Crack%201.JPG
not haten' on your rig...but is that flex-steer I'm seeing?

BIGWOODY said:
not haten' on your rig...but is that flex-steer I'm seeing?
I guess you just looked at the pictures huh :)
Yes, I get some rear steer from my links. I did my rear suspension back when the "linking rear suspensions for massive articulated travel" world was still flat.
Columbus has since arrived for all the "new worlders".

I run between 6 and 7" of lift: I have 19" of vertical from the hub center to where the actual marker lense (amber) starts - My fenders have no real referance points any more...

I use the 38 x 14.50 SX's and they stuff some but most of the suspension is set up for droop...

As for needing 38's - I dont see how 33's are going to cut it when you have downed and back filled logs like this...

TA_Matt_2_22_03.jpg

I am pretty well set to move up to 42's - now that I have re-done the bumpstops - any takers on how long the 30 centersection would live :gag:

Matt4.jpg

I have the back clopped off so the rear is no longer a problem:

chop18.jpg

HTH

Matt

BrettM said:
matt, nobody cares about that thing anymore...

we just want to see the Willys!!!! :drool:

:D

Yeah, yeah, I know but 52's on a willys is not really what he was lookin for :wierd:

Its sad how I look at my XJ now and see "little 38's"

I am actually at work to mess around on the CNC to get a steering column support for the willys done today...

I am half way through the driveshafts and then I just need to rebuild the motor, rear t-case and wire/ plumb the thing and it should be hitting the trail before too long...

Matt

C-ROK said:
38.5x14.50 Swamper SXs.
Golden%20Crack%201.JPG
Hey Greg, I think this one is more representative:

is.php

Back