• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb - Needs help sorting it out

tonydm

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I've been searching the post for newb posts on lifts. I just learned of the site. I too am trying to educate myself before doing a lift. I have a 2000 XJ. I want a reasonable street use vehicle as well as some med trail to go camping, exploring Arizona back country. I'm considering a 3"-3.5" lift. I had heard that OME is the way to go, as well as RE 3.5. Then the local shop who I am going to have do the work has his own opinions. Money is not the only issue for me. I don't want to go crazy but don't want to go cheap. I want to spend good money now. I think I would like to use 31's. Maybe 32's. I just am looking for as many thoughts as I can get. Seems many swear by OME and RE. Many references to Rusty's but don't know what that is. Your thoughts would be vaulable. Thanks

Tonydm

Go RE3.5 its a good brand, I have all their components on my 4.5, soon to be 5.5, I think OME is a bit softer ride maybe, Don't go Rusty's, and go probably 31's. 32's would require some trimming.

OME sells kits that are a very good ride, if your mostly highway with light trail and camping, thats probably the kit for you.

RE sells kits that step more into the hardcore, and varying degrees of hardcore at that (superflex vs superride). Normally I'd suggest RE.

Rusty's sells kits from small to large, but the quality is not great, parts break, and the customer service is very hit and most, although more people have bad stories than good.

There are a ton of other vendors, but from your post, you seem to already understand that you want OME or RE. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go OME. Be prepared to have to do an SYE with that on a late model, go read up on it a bit.

-C

Good info so far. What are your thoughts on shocks? Stock OME's with the kit, bilstiens, etc. The shot that I talked to originally said that OME wouldn't give me a ride that was all that good. recommended a RE 3.5". But all the forum posts I've read, yours included say OME a great ride. He suggested bilstien shocks over the OME. I'm begining to have my doubts about the guys competance. I should look more into the OME kit. The guy at the shock said it is an uncomplete kit and he would have to add a bunch of additional parts to complete the lift. What's your take?

Tonydm

One thing you should consider is with a 3.5 lift on an 00 you may get driveline vibes. I personally could deal with the slight vibes on my 00 but its all preference. For a cheap fix grab a T-case(transfer case) lowering kit. Also I don't know if it will matter to you but 00 and 01s have low pinion front axles. Not so great if you lift but will be fine with 3.5" its when you start to go bigger where you will run into issues.

I ran a rustys 3" which sat 2.75" in the front and 4" in the rear I recommend their leafs but not coils so go RE or BDS something else.. 31" will be real good and you will not have to regear because it won't be that bad at all

Andrew

It would also be possible to put in an early transfer case AND a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) kit - that would give you a longer driveshaft (which reduces operating angles, and therefore vibration) and eliminates the slip yoke at the rear of the transfer case entirely.

Just be sure to get a 1991 and later case, so the input gear would be the same. I think the cutoff was earlier, but I'd have to dig - and I'd have to give you some notes. This way, you don't have to think anything but "1991 and later..."

3"/31's should work neatly on mild backcountry and fire trails - I've done that combo up around Flagstaff and points West (wife and I looking at property.)

Also, if you have the means, I'd suggest installing your lift yourself. "Lift parties" get posted here from time to time - someone gets a lift kit, and buys beer/pizza for a few guys to come over and help. If you do it yourself, you'll know more than you did - you'll save on labour charges - and you'll know more if you need to fix it. Most lifts can be done handily in a week-end and I ran 31's/3" on an 87 without trimming - unless you get into moderate to serious crawling, that should work for you as well.

My kit was a Rancho, and I commuted in that truck, so it rode on-road fairly well too...

5-90

Back