• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEW TO LIFT GAME..

i'd go w/a 3" lift and save yourself a bunch of headache. w/the money you save, buy a rear locker.

my last xj was 4.5"ish. my zj was 4.5"ish...

my new xj is going to be 3" :)

What size tires do you want to run and how do you feel about cutting up your wheel wells. That will tell you more about what you need vs what you want.

Most important mods : Frame stiffeners, rock rails, and front locker.
Get these, then wheel your jeep, the more familiar with its strengths and weaknesses, the more accurately you will be able to choose which parts fit your build plan.

Jumping straight to 4.5 is a bad idea imho, lots of hidden costs (SYE, shocks, steering, gears, brakes)
Its also going to take a while to get all the little bugs worked out of your jeep. I would wheel it as is, it will make you a better driver for when you get the goodies.

I'm a little late to this thread..

but to start with..

THAT PICTURE IS NOT AN RE 4.5" LIFT! :)

that is the RE 3.5" superride. The 4.5" lift has upper control arms, trackbar, brake lines, shackles, t-case drop.. it is far more inclusive.

I'm a little late to this thread..

but to start with..

THAT PICTURE IS NOT AN RE 4.5" LIFT! :)

that is the RE 3.5" superride. The 4.5" lift has upper control arms, trackbar, brake lines, shackles, t-case drop.. it is far more inclusive.

yea i know lol my bad i realized that after there was already a bunch of post on the thread. didnt change it.

Most important mods : Frame stiffeners, rock rails, and front locker.
Get these, then wheel your jeep, the more familiar with its strengths and weaknesses, the more accurately you will be able to choose which parts fit your build plan.

Jumping straight to 4.5 is a bad idea imho, lots of hidden costs (SYE, shocks, steering, gears, brakes)
Its also going to take a while to get all the little bugs worked out of your jeep. I would wheel it as is, it will make you a better driver for when you get the goodies.

I'm deciding on 3.5-4 inches of lift.

Yea I'm prepared for getting the bugs worked out. i plan on replacing small things like u joints in the mean time. i used to trail my stock 93 xj pretty often.

I just put a 3" lift on a 90 today. Used WJ V8 springs, two more coil isolators each side, an XJ main leaf (cut the bushings off, keeps the main leaf from bending down due to shackle) and a 2" lift shackle on the rear. Moved the front brake line clips (where hard joins to soft) down an inch. Added a sway bar drop bracket to lower the bar 1-1/2 (make it out of channel or buy new). Added a extra caster shim behind each lower control arm. Adjusted toe. No T-case drop needed, no vibes. Already had TJ shocks on it so they had an inch more travel. Total cost for all parts was $35 at the pick and pull. Axle is now offset about 1 to one side but we did not need the adjustable track bar. Droop is limited by the shocks.

If we had used T-bird springs and two more leafs we would have gotten 4-4.5" but an adjustable track bar and an SYE or a T-Case drop would have been needed. T-Case drop is stupid in my opinion. Lift from 3 inches up to 4 inches and then give back an inch where it counts most. 3" is good for 31's, 33's with a trim. Lift to there and then spend money on skids and raising the rear shock mounts.

Drop Brackets: I have run my 4.5" lift with them and without them. I prefer without them, its a little harsher but even with the braces the darn things are rock anchors.

John

Last edited:
Back