• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New things on the agenda.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
A couple things.

First, I had Mac change the password to this forum and change the moderators to Me, Steve and Terry. He said he will take care of this today or tonight. I will PM you guys and all the past presidents with the new password.

Second. Terry and I had talked about getting together soon to go over a few things. We thought maybe a snow run in the Vernal area might be a fun way to do it. Steve....if you are interested you could ride along with me if you wanted or drive yourself. If we can't pull that off maybe some sort of chat session. Since NAXJA chat is gone maybe FB? Steve are you on FB? I can't remember.

Third. We need to decide how hard we are going to push for a big year or a relaxed year with not much going on.

Fourth, Fall Fling. If we are going to have a succesful event we need to get working on a few things early. Mostly local donations for the raffle. Most companies like to take care of this at the first of the year. Lets get on this.

Anything else?

When I got donations for the event companies were tapped out before the end of January. The sooner you can jump on things the better.

I'll get you as an admin on the FB page today Ryan. Is Terry on FB? I can get him added as well. I don't think Steve is a FB fellow.

Crap I hate tapatalk. I had no idea this thread was here. I'm on facebook. Terry Smith. Check Ryans friend list and click me.

I'm sure I can find some snow somewhere around here before it melts tomorrow. This has been such a mild winter that I'm not sure how much longer we'll have any snow left. I'm ready to hit a trail though. Just have some small maintenance issues to clear up and I'm golden.

Terry. I gave up on Tapatalk. Their newest version is horrible.

Anyway, I'd like to start a discussion on Getting this chapter more active. Terry, I know you frequent FB a bit and Steve, I know you have an account but don't use it much. Since chat is offline would you guys be opposed to using messenger to communicate quickly and easily? Me and the three other guys who run XJ/MJ &Proud use it to keep up on the day to day operations. It makes it easy and seamless to have a conversation with instant notifications.

I have some ideas to run past you guys but I'll post them in the morning. I hate using Naxja on my phone.

OK. I finally have a little time. Figured I would go over a few ideas I have been rolling over in my head. First though, we need to decide... Do we want to push this chapter to greatness again or just hang out and let it simmer like it has the last few years. I honestly think we could bring our numbers up, get people involved and get the chapter a lot more active but its going to take a LOT of work from all of us.

So...you guys in for the biggie or just want to leave it like it is?

IF...we want to make it great here are a few ideas I have rolling around in my brain.

First, we need to bring the social aspect back to this club. If you look around at other clubs they do a lot that don't just involve hitting the trail. They have family activities, M&G's, Christmas parties, BBQ's and try very hard to keep a family like atmosphere to their club. Right now we really aren't doing any of that.

IF...we go big, I think we need to impose an every other month run and M&G schedule.

If we started in Jan with a M&G it would go something like this...

Jan M&G
Feb Run
March M&G
April Run
May M&G
June Run
July M&G
Aug Run
Sept M&G
Oct Fall Fling
Nov Christmas party (later in the month)
Dec Run

National gives us $250 a year (up to $500 if we have a great plan) for growth and member enhancement money. One idea I had to get people to start showing up at the M&G is to buy (or beg local vendors for freebies) a $50ish) prize of some sort to give away at the M&G's. We have done this before and it worked out pretty well. Buy a nice ARB tire deflator tool or a nice strap or something along those lines. Something that everyone can use. We give this item away to one lucky guy who shows up to the M&G. People like free stuff and it gets them interested.

Another thing about M&G's. They need to be in a place where people can mingle. In the summer this is easy. Like the one we did last year at the car show in Layton. People were really receptive to that because they could interact with each other and look at the cool cars. I'm a firm believer that a M&G at a restaurant doesn't work.

Another idea that takes some effort but I think might be effective is to get the word out about NAXJA through the use of Business cards. We could use some of that money (or chapter money) to print off some business cards and maybe some flyers to put up in places like Fat Bobs, Teraflex and any other 4x4 related shop. The cards are great if you see a lifted XJ parked at Walmart, throw a card in their window.

I think it's imperative we sit down very soon with the group if possible and hash out some trail runs. The more people we get enthused about it early, the more successful we will be getting people out on the trail.

So...with all that being said. Should we set a M&G up for Jan 31st? Its my next available Sat off that is far enough out to get some notice to people.

We might get one of the Jeep dealers to let us use a conference room. LHM Jeep in Sandy lets U4 use one as a meeting spot every month. I can call around and see. Let me know guys.

One other thing...

Last year I brought up the idea of doing an all XJ-MJ show at Fat Bobs. They were receptive to the idea and I think it could have been a pretty big boost to our chapter. I'd like to try that again. What say you? If we do, lets plan it for May or Sept and get working on it now. Trophies, a raffle, combine it with the BBQ, NAXJA members get a free admission to the show... Its a win win for both Fat Bobs and us.

One other thing...

Last year I brought up the idea of doing an all XJ-MJ show at Fat Bobs. They were receptive to the idea and I think it could have been a pretty big boost to our chapter. I'd like to try that again. What say you? If we do, lets plan it for May or Sept and get working on it now. Trophies, a raffle, combine it with the BBQ, NAXJA members get a free admission to the show... Its a win win for both Fat Bobs and us.

Well?

Steve I know we talked back channel but I'd like to keep conversations in here and I really need you guys to give me some feed back.

If we do this I want to pick a date, set a time and talk to Fat Bobs about it now. I can get an extra $250 to pay for things like flyers, awards and food but I need you guys to feed me your opinions.

Ryan: I am in agreement with your agenda. I suggested that the Fat Bob's event may be more appropriate in the spring, as the Fall Fling takes some work then. Furthermore, we may be able to attract a few more people who would then be active throughout the summer and fall. I also stated we should have the first M & G January 31st and post it now to give people time to plan. And finally, I like the idea of printing more business cards and starting a campaign of putting them on XJ's, MJ's and the like when we see them around town. Do you like the current cards which may be more expensive, or should we come up with a different (read simpler and cheaper) version?

Are you talking about the cards Steve had made? If I remember right he had a buddy make them. I doubt we could afford something that nice but for something we will just throw on someone's window I don't know if we need something fancy.

May or Sept. I'm good with either.
Your points are 100% valid. The pros to doing it in Sept is the weather is usually more stable, having it close to Fall Fling might generate more numbers at FF due to it being fresh in people's minds and it would give us more time to plan, prepare and advertise the event. Honestly either would be fine. I'll talk to Fat Bobs. The date could depend a lot on their schedule too.

Should I hit up the bid for the MG&E money using that as our idea to generate new members?

Ryan I like your run/m&g schedule. I imagine the run out in my neck of the woods could also double as one of the m&g's. We can hold it at my place. People can camp on my property for free or they can grab one of the many hotel rooms in vernal.

I will try to make it to as many events as I can, but with my on call schedule for work (one week every 2 months) and mma events (sporatic) it can be tough being in the slc area at times.

I think we're all in agreement on the business cards. It's always been a good way to get the word out to the general public. I don't think it needs to be anything fancy, maybe a black and red scheme. I've also been wondering the viability of a chapter coin /or key chain. Just a cheapie that would give members something in hand that they can carry as a momento. Something they would hold in their hand every day. Might remind them that they are a part of something significant. A window sticker is great but it tends to get lost in the myriad other crap people stick on their jeeps.

As far as putting together runs, maybe we should let there be a concensus of the members. We can set the guidelines, such as an area of the state for any given month. We say, "this particular month will be set for so and so area. You guys hash it out by so and so date or the BOD will pick the spot for the chapter."

Back