• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Stroker, What oil?

I usually run the priming rod with a drill motor until I see stable pressure, and then one full minute afterwards to prime everything.

The tappets? I just coat them with assembly lube ("too much is almost enough" - you can always buy more of the stuff!) and drop them down the holes. Even dunking them in oil makes it harder for the lube to stick to them, so I just dunk them in the lube instead.

agreed.... I dismantled an old distributor (it was good clean fun) and then chucked it in my drill. Then i knew the pump was primed before i even cranked the engine.

agreed.... I dismantled an old distributor (it was good clean fun) and then chucked it in my drill. Then i knew the pump was primed before i even cranked the engine.

Last time I did an oil pump (about a week and a half ago, in fact) I was getting tired of keeping the damned priming rod in the slot. I had an old dizzy lying about, I took the shaft out, and the priming rod dropped right through!

Drop the dizzy housing in the hole, drop the priming rod down the housing, twist it until it drops. Put the drill motor back on and spin away! Hell, I should have thought of that ten years ago...

Don't know if you already got it running or not, but every engine I build gets Brad Penn oil. Its some good stuff!

Back