• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New long block

Capt Sport

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it's time for a new engine in the ol' Jeep. My 94 'Cherokee has 206k miles on it and has developed a bit of piston slap. So, I started looking for replacement long block and came across this option and was wondering if anyone has delt with them before?

http://www.reynoldsmachine.com/web/jeep40stockeng.htm

Seem's like a reasonable option as most of the long block's I've seen are about $1500 for a factory replacement. Any information or more viable options are welcomed.

Also, I don't want to have to run premium gas so I don't see a stroker as an option either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance for you reply's and input.

JR

That looks like a good option to spend an extra $300 for a better performing engine put together by a machine shop. You can make strokers that'll run on 87 oct, but it'll cost about the same and take more time. I'm building a $2500($500 of which is a piggy-back ecu and wideband/ob2 combo) stroker that'll be a right around 300hp/325lb-ft of torque running on 93oct.

That looks like a good deal to me, for me I'd strip it and build a supercharged stroker. Just leave the Jeep alone and when the motor is done I'd swap it in. I was planning to do something like that anyway, this might be my good option too thanks. :p

gradon said:
That looks like a good option to spend an extra $300 for a better performing engine put together by a machine shop. You can make strokers that'll run on 87 oct, but it'll cost about the same and take more time. I'm building a $2500($500 of which is a piggy-back ecu and wideband/ob2 combo) stroker that'll be a right around 300hp/325lb-ft of torque running on 93oct.
x2. the stroker is the only way to go if you want to do it right.

That is a 4.8L stroker. Hesco's 4.7 L stroker has been dyno'd 267hp @ 4700rpm and 332lbft @ 3400rpm. The numbers Reynold's advertise for their 4.8L is 270 hp and 302 torque. For some reason the torque is lower than a 4.7.

I don't see how just by changing the cam, some port work and larger valves they can get 320 HP / ft lb 361 Torque. Increasing displacement by .7L and you have a gain of 72 hp and 97 ft lbs torque, going off Hesco's numbers. How did changing the cam, valves and port work gain then 50hp and 59 ft lbs of torque? Most strokers already have an after market cam, and the valves aren't really a weak link in the flow.

Talyn said:
I don't see how just by changing the cam, some port work and larger valves they can get 320 HP / ft lb 361 Torque. Increasing displacement by .7L and you have a gain of 72 hp and 97 ft lbs torque, going off Hesco's numbers. How did changing the cam, valves and port work gain then 50hp and 59 ft lbs of torque? Most strokers already have an after market cam, and the valves aren't really a weak link in the flow.

You would be amazed what a gain you can get from correctly matching the cam profile and the port shape and combustion chamber can do for an engine's power. We have taken the heads off of a drag car's engine, touched up the ports and intake manifold and gained about 20 cfm and the engine gained 30 HP on an engine dyno.

~Alex

Back