• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jersey Lift Laws new website

You can't hook secondary lighting into your high beams, doesn't matter what kind of lights they are :( . But you would think he would have told you that, instead of incorrectly saying they were because they were fogs light :mad: .

The comments by XJ4Fun relating to lighting were correct. It appears that segment of this thread was lost due to a database failure. As we recall, it related to using auxiliary lighting hooked into the high beams.
While not related to high rise, we believe '13:20-32.25' lighting mandates may impact the 4x4 community. As such, we've added the below page.

http://home.comcast.net/~kayaker121/NJLightLaws.html

Ok, I read the link. It would appear that what we are calling "driving lights" are what that page calls "supplelemental driving lights".

If they are meant to supplement the upper (high) beam, it seems silly to not allow them to trigger off the high beams rather than requiring a driver to fumble around his dash looking for the doggone switch.

Since I have the capability to turn mine on via dash switch (or, depending on which holder the fuse is in, either high or low beams), it is really a non-issue for me now. The only bit that really aggravated me was that the inspector either didn't know the difference between clear fogs and driving lights (or didn't care)), and insisted that (a) they were foglights, and (b) they had to trigger off the low-beams. You could almost see him reading the script.

For my own edification, therefore, what should one look for on the lights themselves to correctly identify a light as either a clear fog or a driving light?

very nice !thank you for the compilation.

do you happen to know any info on collector vehicle or qq plate vehicles?my rig is grandfathered and im having a hard time with insp this yr.when i asked about collector and qq at insp i just got a very cold "no" you cant do that on an altered vehicle but ive recently seen a chevy s-10 slammed to the ground with the triangle sticker and he said it was easy to get.

vetteboy said:
As my rig will be up for inspection again in November,

I'll post back about my own experiences as I get more information.

Hey Vette - Just wondering what you're experiences were in November? Did you pretty much consume everyone at Asbury for hours while they tried to determine how to handle your rig?

Nice guys at Asbury, but I don't think anyone at the 3 specialties would be prepared for what you would present them with :)

Reminds me of the movies Jaw's when Quincy says 'the taxadermy man is gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him' :scared:

Hmmph...haven't gone yet. At this moment, all it'll get me is either impounded or one of those '24-hour emergency repair' failure stickers. :D

Lots of work to do yet before I even attempt getting it through.

For now, I'm content to drive around with my expired lift sticker on there...it's a little more "subtle". Insurance and registration are both current & valid. I haven't even been pulled over in the damn thing so I'll see how it goes.

markg said:
very nice !thank you for the compilation.

do you happen to know any info on collector vehicle or qq plate vehicles?my rig is grandfathered and im having a hard time with insp this yr.when i asked about collector and qq at insp i just got a very cold "no" you cant do that on an altered vehicle but ive recently seen a chevy s-10 slammed to the ground with the triangle sticker and he said it was easy to get.

I remember seeing an old CJ-8 up at Paragon a couple years back - he was running 39-40 inch tires, fender flares made from the tread of old semi tires, and NJ QQ plates. Maybe he got the plates while it was stock, and then put all the mods on.

Other than remembering watching that guy sunk in the mud, I regret that I can't be of more help other than suggesting you send a letter to the MVC commissioner - maybe you'll get lucky.

Rob

can anyone tell me what the door height is supposed to be so I know if I have to change my tires when I go to get it inspected tomorrow?

Maximum of 30" to the doors.

If you change your tires, realize that they'll put the smaller tire size on your sticker. So if you change back to the larger size and get pulled over, your sticker ain't worth crap.

You gotta be pretty big to get a 30" door height on an XJ though.

when i recently went thru with a toyota asbury told me they werent enforcing the front mudflap issue anymore and that they now will take appointments any day of the week instead of just wednesdays.

hey vette.....i just missed u the other week at my friends shop in wall when u went to see mitch

If you change your tires, realize that they'll put the smaller tire size on your sticker. So if you change back to the larger size and get pulled over, your sticker ain't worth crap.

true

100_0905.jpg

:laugh2: (that's murderdout's on 42s...)

sick. He only needs 3 lugnuts. Damn those honda people who dare use 4...

;)

New to the site!!I have a 04 rubicon with 32's that go's through no problem,I just put together a 86 shortbed chevy with 8" lift and 39" mickeys with 1-ton axles.Do they just check the GVW of the reg or do they look for the door tag to???? If they just check the reg I can just change the GVW to 10000 lbs to get the highest limit right????? Thanks!!!!!!

that wont work.they look at the door tag.

That's good to know for possible future reference, since I replaced my left side doors two years ago. Caused some fun on the way home from Moab in October, because the shop I ended up at for the trans leak looked at that for the VIN instead of the dash. I happened to notice it, and cleared up the confusion.

Rob

I talked to a guy at the asberry park station,I told him that the doors have been replaced and the door tag is gone.He said if you don't have a door tag there are other ways to determine the GVW besides the door tag or the reg,He said one way is by total weight of the truck!!!!!!

And another is by your VIN.

4th digit - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
D up to 3,000 lbs.
E 3,001 - 4,000 lbs.
F 4,001 - 5,000 lbs.
G 5,001 - 6,000 lbs.
H 6,001 - 7,000 lbs.
J 7,001 - 8,000 lbs.

Damn! I just measured and I'm at 31". I have to get through inspection soon. I wonder if they will break my stones or if I should just roll through on 33's

Last edited:
I'm going to drop my 86 Chevy down from 8" to 6" and 39's to 35's,get the sticker and hope for the best!!!!!!I don't drive it much,maby I'll luck out !!!!!!!

Back