• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy and project pics

Been a while and I have been driving this daily for the last 5 months. No real surprises. There is a list of things I need to address but nothing critical. I did get new tires, or at least new to me. It rides and drives 100% better now.

Did a bit of rework on the t-case linkage. Got rid of that stupid transfer linkage and went direct from the shifter to the t-case. A have approx $15 in this mod. Much more firm but need to move the hole for the shifter down about 1/2" to get 4 low. Not a big deal, it has everything else nice and solid but pops out of 4 low. It was a guessing game seeing I didn't have the stock Jeep t-case arm. Found the joints at Tractor Supply (MTD4415168) and the 3/8x24 threaded rod from NAPA.

Well, I finally went and did something productive. I finally got the floor done today. :woot:

I was expecting soft, but this soft/gone?

I got a replacement side because I didn't know what was needed and I got it very much cheaper thru work.

Here is the aftermath after cutting.

Installed, welded and undercoated.

I just need to let the undercoating cure then I can put the interior back together.

I did change pulleys to slow the water pump down. I got new belts because the new ones need a shorter belt. I'll get to that along with putting in the new fan. This one really sucks.

You never know where you'll find something. Most of everything I got was from a circle track book or street rod show.

Awesome thread, sir. You've basically built EXACTLY what I am trying to build. Even using the 305.

Do you by chance still have the early pics that Photobucket seems to have eaten?

Yup. Just have to get them swapped out. I would like EFI in the future but the carb is working fine. Just need a smaller one. Go from a 600 to a 500.

Meh. I can't edit my posts.

Very cool. I haven't had a chance to peruse the entire thread yet. Looks like you're carbureted, using a TH350 trans?

Don't suppose you have measurements of those motor mounts, do you? :)

There's a lot more room in an XJ than I'd have thought, once you remove all the extraneous crap Jeep put there. Of course, a lot of the extra room is due to your not running AC. That will be a necessity, I haven't had AC in 20 years in my vehicles, I'm sick of sweating my ass off in our climate during the summer- coming back from lunch drenched in sweat is understandable if I'm on the bike, but not if I'm in an enclosed vehicle (to other folks).

Yes on both counts. If you go thru the Street Rod sites, you'll find the appropriate A/C system. All that room gets taken up fast. Position things tight and out of the way but still serviceable. Depending on how much room you have you could go rear mount A/C.

Back