• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy and project pics

looks good man, you should be proud. any plans for efi in the future?

i think my jeep was the exact same color, with the same pinstriping. however your paint is in much better condition than mine was.

This is Bernie again I got my TPI motor in and transmission in but I need to know what you did for front Transfer case output yoke My is much bigger than the jeeps ? I just have a 207 from GM . Any help would be great Thank you,

My front output yoke is from a Jeep 231 so it will mate with the XJ front driveshaft. It's a direct swap from the Chevy yoke. Also, the Jeep 231 SYE kit works fine in the Chevy 231 case.

Well, I got a lot done Wednesday.
1- Swapped the new trans and SYE equipped t-case in.
2- Got all the little things wrapped up. Cooler lines had to be reformed to fit the turbo 350 location.

Today I got the t-case shifter transfer bracket made, now it has support on the trans side. Linkage is adjusted and ready to go. The trans shifter linkage wasn't a problem.

The distributor rotor broke the tab when I was getting the converter bolted up, the firewall took it out when the engine was tipped back. I did have the cap loose.

Front driveshaft is in, the new rear shaft is now at the shaft stretcher and that will be in next week. The t-case is now full and a few quarts in the trans. When it's running the rest will go in.

On Friday's to-do list, finish the swap. Get the new upper control arms in and get the trans kickdown cable hooked up. I'll be able to at least lot drive this until the back shaft is in.

I'll get pics tomorrow.
That's why I chose a Boss 289 w/C4 Dana 20 when I did my conversion to my 85 Cherokee Chief. That 2.8 was the biggest piece of turd ever made. Room was limited the Dana 20 t-case was on the correct side and the axles were full-size Bronco. I did this in 1990. Suggestions I have after my build go with a late made motor for the serpentine belt set up or convert it. I am presently converting my old 289 C4 drive train in the 85 to 1996 injection 302 w/AOD and 1356 Behemoth crawl box with either the Dana 20 or a 205. Dana 60 front and rear strictly for the trail. The cpu's on the 302 is a 2 wire set up so it's easy.

Finally put the new driveshaft in the back. Yay.

Doing a look over, I found that the upper control arm was tapping the drivers downpipe so I have a new 4 1/2" lift coming and will get that on eventually. I'll also play with the bumpstops in front to limit compression and save the exhaust.

Here's the kit, and I'm paying nowhere near retail.
Zone 4 1/2" kit

The lift is on. The front was a utter pain in the ass but it went together. I'm used to doing the front part of the lift in 3-4 hours. This took most of the day. This was Tuesday.

Today, Wednesday I did the rear springs, shackles and shocks. The rear was a trip on this one. Every bolt I figured on cutting out or fighting came right out. Upper shocks, front leaf spring bolts looked like they were put in a month ago instead of 25 years ago. Needless to say, I was ecstatic.

Got everything done, tight and greased then I aligned it. No big surprises there except all the adjusting sleeves turned easily, no fighting.

Then for the first time in probably 10 years, it went for a drive under it's own power. The new trans shifts nice and firm. There was a vibration in the front, I'm figuring the new driveshaft wasn't balanced right since it now turns all the time after I did a elcheapo mod to the diff and moved the collar for the two piece axle shaft and locked them together.

The gears are defiantly 4:10 because the engine was buzzing in 3rd at 60mph.

It drove good, steered right, didn't pull or wander and the new brakes worked well.

Thus far, I'm pleased.

Pics to come.

nice work! driveshaft vibration could be pinion angle too, with the new lift and all. doulbe check that before paying for balancing.
dont forget to get a vid of it rolling!

Here's the long awaited pics.

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01281.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

Shiny new coils and shocks.
DSC01292.jpg

Shiny new leafs and shocks.
DSC01289.jpg

The holy grail for the speedo. Found the housing and gear on fleabay. The gear will be close from the charts I seen but at least it gives me a starting point.
DSC01271.jpg

My current speedo.
DSC01280.jpg

Now I can pick at things until I get sick of picking and just drive it.

Thanks!
I got the driveshafts back from the shaft shop, they finessed them a bit but found nothing really out of balance. I have a few ideas and since I need to pull the t-case to fix a leak at the spacer. With luck I'll find something. The e-brake cables are tight letting the rear brakes drag and heat up. I'm hoping adjusting the cable out will help the rear vibes.

I got a deal on a set of Rubicon 16x8 wheels and am going to end up getting a set of 285/75/16 tires to help slow the rpm's down.

With luck, I'll win the fight and the war. We'll see. Stay tuned.

Pulled the t-case today to fix a leak at the adapter. Did that, put the new speedo gear and housing in then put the new (To me) wheels/tires together. Figured out why it was leaking ATF. The new dipstick was mis-marked and the trans was over full letting it pool up by the adapter and leak there. Put a new pinion seal in the rear diff, the other was shot and leaking.

Took it for a drive after everything was done, the vibe I had is now gone, the speedo is +5 mph according to the GPS which is fine, I know it's close. It's 3000 rpm at 60 mph which I can live with so nothing will happen with the gearing for now. I didn't put the front driveshaft in yet so if there was a vibe, I could isolate it. If I still have vibes in the front once I get the shaft in, I want to get a posi-lock for the front diff so I can engage/disengage it when 4x4 is on.

The new wheels bring the sexy. 16x8 Moabs with 265-75-16 tires.
DSC01297.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

The gauges. I'm not entirely happy with the location but I can see them easy. So far, the temp is staying in check after I found what t-stat I put in it.
DSC01302.jpg

It's even closer now. Does this mean I get to go backwards now?

Last edited:
Put the front driveshaft in it today and drove it a few miles to the gas station. No more vibes other than the tires. I even transferred the title. Only took 5 years. I wasn't in a hurry.

Now I can nit pick things.

It's all legal now. Started driving it on my normal drives today. Put some miles on it. I need to get used to it now. No real surprises, just things to keep in mind.

Blasted thing needs gas now.

Back