• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy and project pics

I dropped my turbo 350 off to get rebuilt and tricked out. Ordered a few things for this stage of the swap. Next will be my SS SYE kit, then a lift and once it's all done, get a new rear driveshaft made. It'll be worth it once it's done, it's just getting there without more stumbling blocks.

Driver side exhaust routed between sump and track bar with 4-1/2" lift
CIMG00184.jpg

The 700r4 requires a tv cable and correct geometry at the throttle-end
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

No progress. I'm waiting on the guy rebuilding my trans then it's saving for the SS SYE kit then save for the lift.

Here is the latest gathering of parts. A new converter, kickdown cable with bracket, adapter kit to go from the turbo 350 to the S-10 231 and a shiny dipstick and tube for the trans.

DSC01203.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

The 231.
DSC01210.jpg

DSC01211.jpg

The speedo issue is solved, for the time being anyway. I forgot about the GPS I got from my brother a couple years ago. Tested it out and it'll work fine.
DSC01221.jpg

Hopefully spring this will see the road........

Picked up my trans up today. Actually I picked it up twice..........

We loaded it and he closed the tailgate. I didn't check if it latched. This comes into play later. I drive 25 miles to my shop to unload it but as I backed to the door I noticed I could see the garage door. Odd, the trans is not there and the tailgate is down. SHIT! I boogie down the separated 4 lane that is getting redone to find it. It's right where I figured it would be. Didn't even get hit by anything but the road. Get it back in the truck and head to the shop to access the damage. The new output shaft got a ding in the splines and the trans pan got killed. I pull the pan to hammer out the dents and find a tear in it. Scrap.

I wanted a aluminum pan with a drain plug anyway.

Cliffs; get new trans, dumbass forgets to check the tailgate and ends up picking said trans off the highway with a wasted pan.

This happened 1/2 mile from my shop.

In the pic showing your exhaust routing, I think your trac bar is mounted backwards?? doesn't look right and your adjustment end should be at the frame end.

Picked up my trans up today. Actually I picked it up twice..........

We loaded it and he closed the tailgate. I didn't check if it latched. This comes into play later. I drive 25 miles to my shop to unload it but as I backed to the door I noticed I could see the garage door. Odd, the trans is not there and the tailgate is down. SHIT! I boogie down the separated 4 lane that is getting redone to find it. It's right where I figured it would be. Didn't even get hit by anything but the road. Get it back in the truck and head to the shop to access the damage. The new output shaft got a ding in the splines and the trans pan got killed. I pull the pan to hammer out the dents and find a tear in it. Scrap.

I guess you could say you were lucky? Holy crap.

In the pic showing your exhaust routing, I think your trac bar is mounted backwards?? doesn't look right and your adjustment end should be at the frame end.

That's my rig. If you look closely, everything is on backwards.

Got my new B&M pan a couple weeks ago. Stock depth. I had a thought about gluing some kind of cheap lift together with parts I already have or need to get. Need to rework shocks and mounts so they still work with the screwing around but then I ran some numbers and figured out that I would be ahead just getting the lift I'm after instead of butchering something together to get me by. I will still need a SYE regardless of what happens. I still need to stare at the front a while to see if I can play with bumpstops so the upper arms won't crash into the exhaust.

So it still sits, waiting on money.

Figured out a way to gain some clearance for the drivers downpipe. It will get friendly with the upper control arm. I have a new pair of BDS upper arms, stock length and will gain me the extra couple inches needed so things won't crash because of the tube design and how it attaches to the diff.

BDS124411.jpg

S-10 231, stock trans to t-case adapter, Advance Adapters turbo 350 shaft and spacer kit.

Finally got the SYE kit, need to get that together then I can swap everything. Picked up a nice front shaft, if I can use it as is, fine or else it's going to the driveshaft shop.

Well, I got a lot done Wednesday.
1- Swapped the new trans and SYE equipped t-case in.
2- Got all the little things wrapped up. Cooler lines had to be reformed to fit the turbo 350 location.

Today I got the t-case shifter transfer bracket made, now it has support on the trans side. Linkage is adjusted and ready to go. The trans shifter linkage wasn't a problem.

The distributor rotor broke the tab when I was getting the converter bolted up, the firewall took it out when the engine was tipped back. I did have the cap loose.

Front driveshaft is in, the new rear shaft is now at the shaft stretcher and that will be in next week. The t-case is now full and a few quarts in the trans. When it's running the rest will go in.

On Friday's to-do list, finish the swap. Get the new upper control arms in and get the trans kickdown cable hooked up. I'll be able to at least lot drive this until the back shaft is in.

I'll get pics tomorrow.

Tell me about it. Between time, money and a epically screwed up back it's about time. I was going to do this 2 months ago until my back had other plans.

Got pretty much everything done now. There will be a few loose ends but those will come later. Aside from the rear driveshaft, it's ready for a drive.

Looks like I'll still need a lift and some bump stop adjustments.
DSC01240.jpg

The bracketry I tossed together for the linkage for the t-case transfer rod. I'll rework it if needed.
DSC01242.jpg

The mandatory engine shots.
DSC01255.jpg

DSC01254.jpg

DSC01253.jpg

DSC01258.jpg

Can you believe I washed it?
DSC01245.jpg

DSC01249.jpg

The trans does shift between driving it on the lot and having it in the air filling the trans.

One small step for man, one big step for a jackass wrench turner.

Back