• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needed suggestions for front bumper

I'm still kinda leaning towards a bumper with a permanent place for a winch, however it's tempting for option 1 for the low profile front bumper

Basically depends in your intended use. I choose low profile because I never intended on needing a winch. Now, we do runs I sometimes wish I had a winch for piece of mind. Not enough to change bumpers, but if I had the receiver, I would at least have an incremental option.

Now, if you are already considering a winch, then FOR SURE get a winch bumper right out of the gate.

You could always go the custom route. Even with the winch my bumper is probably lower profile the option 1.

Yeah if you are concerned enough, just do the low profile winch, and in a few years when you have modified further, you can customize to have a low-pro winch mount in there. Some have done under the radiator, some have cut out the grill. Check out action fab's bumpers.

which of the 3 or 4 do you have? any pictures?

If I didn't already have a front bumper that i love, I'd have gone ORS. I have a rigid bumper which is really stout and great looking, added a dirtbound offroad hoop kit which changed the look completely.

If ORS was available 6 years ago when I bought my rigid I would have looks hard at them. If I were to do it now, I'd get the integrated bumper with wings. This would let me keep my solenoid box on the winch and I have an in cab controller switch anyways. Also the integrated one sticks out a few (maybe 3") further than the non integrated. Gives a little more protection for the grill, and makes adding hoops and lights a little easier - though someone on that thread did a face mounted light bar on the non integrated bumper.

The nice thing about the ORS bumpers is you can buy just the main bumper which is relatively cheap, then add the wings in a few months when you get the money. I'd probably just weld the wings to the main bumper.

Edit: here's my bumper
ere9ejug.jpg

2upyte2u.jpg

Last edited:
If I didn't already have a front bumper that i love, I'd have gone ORS. I have a rigid bumper which is really stout and great looking, added a dirtbound offroad hoop kit which changed the look completely.

If ORS was available 6 years ago when I bought my rigid I would have looks hard at them. If I were to do it now, I'd get the integrated bumper with wings. This would let me keep my solenoid box on the winch and I have an in cab controller switch anyways. Also the integrated one sticks out a few (maybe 3") further than the non integrated. Gives a little more protection for the grill, and makes adding hoops and lights a little easier - though someone on that thread did a face mounted light bar on the non integrated bumper.

The nice thing about the ORS bumpers is you can buy just the main bumper which is relatively cheap, then add the wings in a few months when you get the money. I'd probably just weld the wings to the main bumper.

Edit: here's my bumper
ere9ejug.jpg

2upyte2u.jpg

Isn't it dangerous to operate the winch while standing near the bumper in case it snaps?

Isn't it dangerous to operate the winch while standing near the bumper in case it snaps?
Yes, if it has a steel cable line.

If it has a synthetic rope line, then it is not dangerous. Synthetic lines drop when they break, they don't snap back. ;)

Also, the winch will be much lighter if it has a synthetic line, for the receiver mount option... Still heavy in rough terrain though.

Not sure what you mean? Also not sure what that second picture is, it was supposed to be a profile of the bumper.

Anyhow my winch has synthetic line. It also has In cab controls so I can sit in the jeep to winch. Can also use the handheld controller if I need to.

With the ORS bumper, you can relocate the socket for the hand held remote to the face of the bumper or anywhere else and be out of danger. That remote cable is like 12' long.

Mine has inside controls too. I just plug the handheld controller in at the beginning of the ride and away we go!

Id think it will look good myself. :compwork:

Back