• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need more turning. XJ sterring box ideas

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
Have a spidertrax 609 under my XJ that's capable of 42* steering. I know I can't get all the way there but anyone know if there's a box that has more throw?

shorter high steer arms or longer pitman arm, like he said

Why do you need more throw? How much different is the axle side?

Spidertrax knuckles do 50* of turning, RCV shafts go to 45* but they say limit them to 42* so I'm looking to get as close to that as I can.

I will be using a shorter point on the pass steering arm and a longer pitman arm, just wondering what else bolts up to the XJ or easily swapped parts.

Thanks.

X2 waggy pitman arm. I have ran a waggy arm in the past and I now run a WJ arm after filing down the splines.

Well after taking the jeep out into the woods and needing to make a few try's to turn I must start on this. I have the turning radius of a tri-axle right about now.

I keep reading the WJ boxes are a good one. I'm preferring one with a much faster turnjng rate.
Im also adding a PSC ram.

If you are going hydro, most say just spend the extra cash on a psc box too.

have you ever seen a WJ box ? They mount differently . you need to match the throw of your knuckles to your steering arms. Likeveryone else said, shorter arms, or longer pitman . You could also try giving PSC a call for a legit box.

Just remember that the tighter you turn the knuckles, the higher force on the u-joints and the easier to pop them.

I vaguely remember that the Gen III F-body box works and you can get them in 12:1 ratio, no idea their throw angle though.

Lol your running spider 9's and rcv's and you don't want to spend any money with psc?

He's running the RCV's CV axles. Although the issue holds true for them as well.

That's why I went with RCVs, spidertrax shafts can turn to 50* matching their steering knuckles but more turn is more pressure on them. RCVs are maxed at 45* but say limit steering to 43* which is fine with me but most people say the RCVs are smoother and less likely to pop even when cranked hard one way.

Back