• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need locker advice

landscaper

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my trans put in. Lift and longarms are on order I just need some advice on lockers for the front and rear. Which one would be the best to get first. front or the rear. What brands do the best when Im on a budget. Has anyone had any experiance on welding the rear up I have a 8.25 What are yalls opinion on welding it up. Not a daily driver just drive locally to get to trails around home.

Personally I don't like welded difs. I would go with a lunchbox locker. Either aussie or lock right. Rear first imho!

i agree with ghost... i would go with a lock-right; plus, with your axle being an 8.25, it will be EASY to set up, with no side-shims and all. you won't even have to mess with you pinion depth. lock-rights have kinda received a bad reputation with the throttle-jockey crowd, because they think that they're really weak. i've known people back in moab that have wheeled the same lock-right for 10 years and haven't had a single problem with them. hope that helps...

I had an EZ locker in my d35 and hated it. From what I've read, ppl with manual trans don't like them, ppl with auto's don't mind them. My current combo is 8.8 rear with factory Trash-Lock and front Aussie. I've got a disco axle so I don't even notice the Aussie on the road. This setup works rather well, however I'm planning on going with a No-Slip in the 8.8 when/if I do a gear change.
So... my opinion is this, if you have an auto with open diffs f/r, then go with a lunchbox locker in the rear first.
If you have a manual with open f/r, spend a little more and get a No-slip or a real locker like a Detroit.
If you have a rear LS, then go with a front locker first.
You may want to state what your current combo is as far as trans, axles, TAD's. Otherwise we can only make educated assumptions as to what you have.
Also, like others, I'm not a big fan of welded diffs. Not saying I'm totally against them, just not a big fan.
Dale

:scottm:

I ran a welded 27 spline 8.25" on 33" Swampers for almost 2 years with an auto transmission. Never had any trouble with it. You can expect accelerated tire wear, chirping tires in parking lots, and it takes just a few miles under your belt to get used to the feeling, but mine wasn't a daily driver, and the handling quirks were minor to me. Also ran an EZ Locker in the non-disconnect front with no issues. Would I recommend it to anyone? No. Would I do it again if I had a strict budget to adhere to? Absolutely.

YMMV.....

:skull1:

Welding the diff will make it virtually unstreetable; If budget its a concern then go with a lock right (lunchbox locker).

I know people who have run welded diffs or spools on the street, but it's not something I would want to do on a regular basis. We've got a spool in the back of my trail XJ and tow dolly and that is unpleasent enough even behind a 7 thousand pound diesel dodge truck.

If it's a Daily Driver then lock the front first,, it will be completely transparrent in normal driving (in 2wd); if it's a second vehicle then rear first. Once you lock one end, then be prepared to catch the urge to lock the other...

I DD'ed a locked rear xj in college but since moving to more refined vehicles and going back to a rear locked vehicle on the streets it's deffinitely more noticable.

If you need help with the locker install PM me; i wrench for beer these days around atlanta on my free weekends. :cheers:

I had an 87 Ramcharger on 38" Swampers with a welded 9.25 rear and Dana 44 front, no problems. 88 Chevy Suburban on 44" Hawgs and welded 14 bolt...no problems. If it's a trail rig then weld it up. Clean the gear lube out real good with brake clean then torch the interior a little to burn away then weld er up, you don't even have to remove anything but the differential cover. Easy and good for poor white trash like me.

Detroits front and rear and a 2low kit.

Here is what I have run:

D30
Aussie Locker. I love it.

D44 mini spool.
Awesome traction and it behaves much better than an auto locker on the street. Its great on ice and slick conditions. The rig is very predictable. I have run icy trails with folks on auto lockers and they had to be strapped a couple times because when the locker kicks in they spin out and go over the edge of the road. The spool or mini-spool is very smooth and nothing happens to upset the rig. It does find the low side but it happens slowly and is easily controlled.

D44 Aussie Locker
I use to drive the rig only out to the desert (100 miles) for a day or two of wheeling and park it the rest of the week. I moved east and now drive 20-30 miles a day in town and take trips of around 500 miles every couple of weeks. Tire wear was killing me. The Aussie has been great both on the road and off road. Not quite as sure footed as the spool but its a small difference. I am not looking forward to the winter. The rig now has a wierd roll with a pull to the right when locker kicks in on the street (disconnected). Once you realize its going to happen its not a problem but it sure doesnt handle as well as it did with the mini spool.

If you are thinking about welding dont do it, just get a mini spool for $50 to $100 (with a new center pin).

John

Here is what I got.

D30 up front with a truetrac and 4:56 gears. I converted the disco to a non disco. Took some time to research all that was needed but it is virtually un-noticeable. If you cannot find a truetrac then my next option would be a aussie.

In the back I have a turdy five that is welded up with 4:56 gears. I am going to get a soft locker and upgrade the shafts to super35. They are a larger diameter and a 30 spline shaft. I am also going to truss to stiffen. If you have a D44, then you can do both aussie lockers and gears for a very reasonable amount.

My junk is not a DD and I generally tow it on long trips.

I have not had had any issues with the welded rear and it does take some getting used to when making sharp turns, esp when people turn their heads to see what they heard.

Good Luck

Aussie is what I have and its okay..

Once I get done wit hmy cancer crap I will be going all out with d60s and you can bet OX lockers will be used.

Trail rig on a budget, Weld the rear and either a selectable locker up front like ARB OX or and ECTED, even a powertrax no-slip. Welding the front will make it nearly imposible to turn on the street, you'll wheel hop with every turn.

Back