• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice from people with experience

You don't know what corrosion looks like under paint/undercoating clearly. I'd be willing to bet it was parked in grass for a while, and under a hundred thousand miles means it sat somewhere for a long time. I see some pretty rough spots underneath, but I'm not going to draw you a picture.

I took my neighbor to pick one up in San Antonio, from a guy who had purchased it from the original owner in Maryland. We knew it was rusty, but didn't notice the hitch was rusted in two until we removed it. Paid $750 for his and it was loaded. You can do much better with private sales.

Can you not see that drive shaft yoke?

Why do you think I'm here asking for input? Because I'm not used to dealing with rust or the ways people cover it up. It's unlikely the car was parked. If you read my previous post i cross checked the vehicles registraition records, maintenance and warranty records. It was driven about 6k a year by the original owner that had it 16 years.

I'm asking for advice not to be talked down to like a moron.

Because I'm not used to dealing with rust or the ways people cover it up.

I didn't call you a moron, I just enlightened you to look at what you admitted to having no experience with. What you call nice clean undercoating is a cover up. Maybe I see it because I know what nice examples look like out here in the desert, or because I've been under a lot of them. I own several of them presently, and a couple are from up north. One came from Washington, another from Wyoming. The undersides of them look better than that, and they're early 90s.

I polish turds like the one pictured on occasion for a hobby, and know that people like things that are shiny. All that shine will flake off in a year or so, but it'll look good long enough to get it off the lot.

Looks like copper to me, I wondered the same.

Now seeing the whole drivers side, you can tell the bumpers, corners, and side trim has been painted, and the cheap car tires were freshly treated for pictures.

Whoever prepped this turd is an artist.

Yeah, "bronze" in color, I can't tell if it's rust or copper - isn't it an aluminum piece though?

With respect to the rust on the driveshaft - living int he NE, it looks pretty much like every other one that I've seen, including my 95 YJ with 19k miles on it and rusted in half tube steps, rusting floor pans, etc. etc. It's a product of being up here on salty roads in winter and near the shore. I tend to not mind rust, it just means that everything is a struggle and lots of things break or need the torch, it is what it is. As long as there's no structural damage or bad cosmetics, how much can you really be picky at the right price? The pinch seams look ok.

Yeah, "bronze" in color, I can't tell if it's rust or copper - isn't it an aluminum piece though?

With respect to the rust on the driveshaft - living int he NE, it looks pretty much like every other one that I've seen, including my 95 YJ with 19k miles on it and rusted in half tube steps, rusting floor pans, etc. etc. It's a product of being up here on salty roads in winter and near the shore. I tend to not mind rust, it just means that everything is a struggle and lots of things break or need the torch, it is what it is. As long as there's no structural damage or bad cosmetics, how much can you really be picky at the right price? The pinch seams look ok.

Because I've owned more than ten of them and never checked any records. I've also never paid a thousand dollars for one, let alone two for a thousand. They're not worth much, but they're fun to drive.

That yoke is the only thing that wasn't included in the detail job, so it's safe to assume the floors looked like that, and you can see it under the paint. Undercoating has a texture of its own that hides imperfections well, but you can see the corrosion anyway. Like you said, and I did too, it'll drive, but it'll be hell to work on.

I didn't call you a moron, I just enlightened you to look at what you admitted to having no experience with. What you call nice clean undercoating is a cover up. Maybe I see it because I know what nice examples look like out here in the desert, or because I've been under a lot of them. I own several of them presently, and a couple are from up north. One came from Washington, another from Wyoming. The undersides of them look better than that, and they're early 90s.

I polish turds like the one pictured on occasion for a hobby, and know that people like things that are shiny. All that shine will flake off in a year or so, but it'll look good long enough to get it off the lot.

Sorry about that. It's that time of the month....

Once again -- it all depends on what they are asking for it --$$$

I paid $200 for mine - put a motor in it, had rust under the battery tray, and has rust/rot on the passenger floor pan that I have yet to address

The feeling I'm getting from you, and your lack of saying what they want for it I'm guessing it's too much even for such low milage

Try posting in the NAXJA chapters section of this forum -- I guess MD would be Northest chapter -- could also be southeast chapter -- Maybe you'll get lucky with someone who lives nearby and would be willing to take a look

Once again -- it all depends on what they are asking for it --$$$

I paid $200 for mine - put a motor in it, had rust under the battery tray, and has rust/rot on the passenger floor pan that I have yet to address

The feeling I'm getting from you, and your lack of saying what they want for it I'm guessing it's too much even for such low milage

Try posting in the NAXJA chapters section of this forum -- I guess MD would be Northest chapter -- could also be southeast chapter -- Maybe you'll get lucky with someone who lives nearby and would be willing to take a look

Thanks. It's definitely not cheap.
I'm on the verge of giving up on the damn thing.

It depends on the price! It's definitely got rust so removing bolts may be a challenge. It also appears to have "Cali" emission(2 pre-cats) so that's another bummer. I will say they detailed the crap out of it but what's left is still very much in question. Would I buy a car from a used car lot that I can't test drive, No!

It depends on the price! It's definitely got rust so removing bolts may be a challenge. It also appears to have "Cali" emission(2 pre-cats) so that's another bummer. I will say they detailed the crap out of it but what's left is still very much in question. Would I buy a car from a used car lot that I can't test drive, No!

Trust me. Before I pay for it I'm driving it. I don't want to waste a plane ticket if it's not worth the time. I posted on here to get opinions and ideas of what I need to look for and where to find those trouble spots once I see it. That coating threw me off.

We already told you that !!!

This one looks healthier. It's in NJ.

C3C48368-83FE-4105-BC29-68CBC9A39856_zpsdnvgezfd.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Just because they sprayed everything? How old are you?

If you want rust free, your shopping in the wrong place. I just bought this absolutely rust-free 2000 for 800$!
20180325_153213_zpsau2x0bwg.jpg

Back