• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Turn

LED showed up today. I think it'll be perfect. My idea for hiding the wires is actually going to be to try to use brake line. I won't be able to get that done (along with tabs at the bottom just in case that bolt comes loose) until after winter break.

Today I decided to paint the master cylinder and while I was waiting for the paint to dry I sanded out the brake lever and then polished it.

I also removed the old grips and installed these newer ones. I've ridden them on mountain bikes and they should help with the vibrations.

I was really careful when reinstalling the MC but the front part of the clamp wasn't quite dry (it's pretty cold up here) and it got a bit ugly. I'll respray that once it warms up or just redo it and stick it in the oven.

Man is this seat cover a turd.

My killer wife got me this one all the way from the UK. I installed it tonight. It was a PITA. The slight loose fabric seen is the exact same on the other side and is because the stock cover uses that strap across it and the foam was broken down a bit in that area. I can live with it.

Not too much to add today but the paint on the triple tree was peeling off because of the master cylinder leaking when I first got the bike. I removed it last night along with the ignition bracket that I made and the headlight bucket. I had to some sanding on the bucket to get some scratches out of it. Here's the tree when I took it off.

This is a horrible picture but it looks much better. Like Jim said, it truly is amazing what a little elbow grease does to an old motorcycle. Much better now.

Man those green gauges really like crap now. I'm looking at some 2.5" gauges in black that have the warning lights on the gauge. Also new side covers. Maybe next month. I have to pace myself.

Really? At first I was going to open them up and swap in new faces but they really need to be overhauled too. They are super jumpy. From what I've read it's like working on a swiss watch. Doesn't sound fun.

Yeah man, I really dig them. That last pic with the new seat cover they really stand out. It looks cool.

IMG_2893_zps5f1f3164.jpg
[/URL]

Your project is awesome.

I noticed that the license plate curve doesn't follow the wheel and the mount angle doesn't match the shock angle. Can you tweak the mount that way? Seems it would gel more asthetically.

Of course, it's your ride. Tell me to get bent ;)

HEY…get bent in Ohio!

Hmmmm. Since this is the first project I've ever really had I now see that others see/notice different things than I do. Interesting. Dutch likes big green gauges and now you point this out. I hadn't even noticed that until now but when I look at the picture I can totally see what you were looking at. I'm not sure how to make the angle better with the way I have it's mounted (I'll try to get better pics of that). I actually did want to bend the plate/mount more but was concerned with the light being able to cover enough to keep everything visible. I have now decided that I think mounting the led on the bottom might be better because it will be less distracting to the eye but I still need to work out how I'm going to do that. I think one of the things I was going for with this project was for things to be minimal but tasteful. Thanks for the feedback RedHeep. Check in later on to see the pics of the mount.

Wait a minute. You're not talking about the piece that mounts to the swing arm. You're talking about just taking the whole plate area and bending it slightly to match the angle of the shocks right? I think if you did that then the bend of the bracket matches the tire pretty well.

Yeah, if you drew a line from the top of the plate to the bottom, that angle would match the angle that the shocks are mounted on. The curve would probably follow the tire pretty close too.

Just one of those things that jumped out at me when I looked at the picture, it seemed like the top of the plate was too far aft. I think however you mount the light (I personally think the license plate bolt lights work well) it will light it up enough to keep the 5-0 off of you. I don't think it has to be crazy bright.

Hmmm, maybe if the arc of the plate and the arc of the wheel were concentric....

That's why cop cars have high beams. :D

That's exactly what I was worried about. Originally, I had the plate bent to completely match the hub and the idea was make the bracket so it all tucked up real tight to the hub but the extreme curve had me concerned.

You might want to check but I don't even think you need a light on the plate. You don't even need turn signals on a motorcycle.

I saw one where the guy did a similar mount as yours but it was curved to match the diameter of the rear sprocket.

This is the rear light I've been looking at. It is the only one that I can find that will be able to rotate to get the angle that I think will look ok with the bobbed fender. Thoughts?

Back