• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Turn

Well I am too especially at this altitude where I think it's going to be royal pita to get them set up right. I worry they won't run right if I go to Springs but I guess thats the price I pay for wanting something different.

Shouldn't make that much of a difference. I've yet to see anything run lean in Colorado. Back in the day, we advanced our timing from sea level to help with altitude. Even with the high altitude CPS, open intake and exhaust, the 90 still runs rich.

Neither of these pieces has seen a buffing wheel yet.

My helmet finally came today. Feels great in the garage.

Haven't done a lot to this thing as I've been out of town in Mexico but I'm back now. As you know by now, I try to do things in a specific order instead of jumping all around. I need to get the Dyna ignition installed but before I do that I wanted go back into the carbs and replace the aftermarket main jets and needles with the stock ones. They were the same size but many people complain about aftermarket brass causing running issues on these bikes and it's bothered me ever since I rebuilt the carbs. So I yanked the rack of carbs off the bike and, in doing so, managed to crack this ear on the carb stay plate.

It was a bonehead move and I'd rather not go into details about how it happened. Let's just say I screwed up. I guess my head was still laying on the beach. In the picture you can see the ear is cracked all the way through and that part of the bushing inside is cracked as well.

Here's a picture of how the whole rack looks. There is a rod that goes through the closest ear in the picture, then through the piece by my thumb, then through the throttle spring return assembly (not pictured), then through the cracked ear and, finally, through the piece by my finger. The purpose of the rod is to keep all 4 carbs working in sync.

In this picture, the rod actually needs to be flipped the other way. That groove is where a set screw in the cracked ear sits and keeps it from moving laterally. This is a big mess.

Here is the ear.

There's also these two little woodruff keys on each end of the rod that help to keep it in place.

Finally, here's a picture of the entire carb stay plate as it should be. Apparently, this plate is not meant to be taken apart but...I found a way to do that.

So after I calmed down I began to think about options. Even small parts for these carbs can be quite difficult to find so I really started thinking outside the box. My idea (with a friend of mines help) was to remove that bushing, TIG weld the ear, then run a lathe on the inside of it to make sure it was totally smooth, make a new bushing, press it in, find a new set screw and put it all back together. Problem with this is that I don't have access to these tools but my buddy in Virginia does and was confident that he could fix it but it would take time. My other idea was to use JB weld and simply address the cracked ear, leave the bushing as is (I don't think that area sees a large amount of stress), find a set screw and put it back together. Problem with this was that I wasn't sure it would hold and I do not need any issues with the carbs not working as a unit. Well in the 11th hour yesterday I was able to track down a stay plate in Arizona and the guy only asked $50 for it. So...it is on the way and I'll swap the two pieces (by my thumb and finger in one picture) from my carbs and reinstall them onto the ones on this new plate and hopefully be back in business. I considered repairing my plate and reusing it eventually and selling this one but that's a lot of extra work taking apart a 45+ year old bike and, seems to me, possibly asking for more trouble. So I think I'll just chalk this up to experience (it's been a tough pill for me to swallow knowing that I ****ed up pretty badly) and move on. As soon as the rack is back together I will bench sync them again, reinstall them, then do the ignition, and finally be able to vacuum sync the carbs. This project has really been an exercise in patience for me.

Yeah what a deal at $400.

I got a replacement carb stay plate today and got the carbs all put back on the bike. It fired right up but cylinder 4 is still dead. Dyna replacement ignition should be here soon. I really hope that takes care of the issue.

Don't think I've posted this bike in here but it is one that I look at routinely. This is where I think mine is headed (other than color).

This showed up today.

Installed.

Fresh plugs and she fired right up. Next up is a vacuum sync.

Well yesterday I went to the DMV in Colorado Springs to get my endorsement. That took an hour. On the way back home I stopped at the insurance company to get the bike insured. No problems. Then I went to the DMV in Teller County and was told that I would not be able to use the title because of a discrepancy with the signature (didn't match the front of the title but it was on the same playing field as Ben vs. Benjamin). I was told that I would have to track down the seller. I tried to last night and was not able to. So I went in and pleaded my case and asked for options. After a few phone calls, they gave me the green light (much to Yella's chagrin). Obviously, I'm happy. Here's the plates.

If that Q was an H they'd be priceless right?

I continue to have issues with this thing running fat. Really fat. These are brand new plugs. I rode the bike 30 miles last night and #4 is already fouled.

#1 looks the same but isn't soaked when I pull it. I'm really trying to do things in a logical sequence so I need to get the carbs synced before I start playing with jets and needle positions but I think that's where I'll ultimately be going.

So these are the decals that I want to use eventually when I get this thing painted which is so far down the road it's stupid. I won't use decals but the area they appear will me KTM orange unless I change my mind again before that.

Ever since riding this thing for 30 miles the other night it has run like an absolute turd. Barely starts at all. I got all new plugs today and pulled the others out. These literally have 30 miles on them. With the new plugs in it roared to life but I know they will be cooked in no time.

I've needed to do a vacuum sync on these carbs for a while now but my fear is that there is more going on than that. I think there are issues with the jets and needle positions making things uber rich as well as issues involving the worn out rings and the oil being burned that's causing the plugs to foul so quickly. I really worry that this thing will be ****ed until I can pull the motor and rebuild it.

Dam. That 3rd one is bad. My buddy in springs is pretty good with bike stuff. Dunno if he's done any cafe stuff or not. But ya that's all bad.

4 makes 3 look like a prom queen. The only reason it's as nice as it is in this pic is because I cleaned it this morning. No spark at all. I'm so close but yet soooooooo ready to push it off a cliff.

What really blows is that the thing barely started at all today. It was horrible. Had spark on all plugs after cleaning them up but it was poor. Put in fresh plugs and it absolutely roared to life. I shut it off right away because they'd all be shit in a few minutes anyways. So close.

I'm not sure what to do with this thing right now. As it sits right now it has fresh plugs in it and fires right up but is super rich. I know it could be rings, valves, jets, johnson bushings, etc. or all of it combined.

Not too much to report. I have a jet kit on the way (85, 90, 95, and another set of 100's). I hope this makes a difference. I also got up to Jim's place to grab some 2x4's. I am sick as a dog but was able to get the frame work done on this bench/table before passing out. Just needs a top sheet, some casters and a ramp. Thanks again Jim.

Ok now it's stronger. I should be able to drop a motorcycle onto the table from 2 stories up now.

Just watched Mad Max for the second time in a week. Love the vintage sport bikes in it. You totally need to find an old school fairing for yours.

I love all the helmets too. So awesome. Terrible movie, but I can't stop watching it. It's Mad Max damnit, you have to watch it all the way through.

mad-max.jpg

Last edited:
Back