• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My temp is at like the first notch or a little higher?

byrinxx74

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have changed my radiator and clutch fan. I have noticed, in the streets or on freeway that the temp only goes to the first notch maybe a little higher!! Is this normal or is somthing wrong? could this cause problems to?:hang:

Did you change your t-stat too...maybe with a 180F stat. I have a similar setup on both of my Jeeps but I have ZJ HD fan clutches and 195 stats and I still have a hard time getting it up to full operating temp.

Of course at this time of year the outside temps are cooler. I know the high in Oakland today is about 65-70F, but here the morning temps are ~30-35F. My driving to work at 5 am is almost all downhill, some flat, but NO traffic...all highway speeds. Not much stop and go driving. Coming back home it only gets to about 200F max.

In the summer here when it's 90-100+ I run at 195-200 or when I'm headed up into the mountains with a load of gear and a couple more people it'll get to 210 or so on a long uphill grade.

I'd live with it for awhile and see if it negatively affects your mileage or an out of the ordinary rich/lean condition. I'd also confirm the temp gauge with an IR gun. It won't reall hurt anything mechanically, short term.

Ok so i have changed my radiator and clutch fan. I have noticed, in the streets or on freeway that the temp only goes to the first notch maybe a little higher!! Is this normal or is somthing wrong? could this cause problems to?:hang:
I'd start with replacing your thermostat with a 195 degree one after you confirm that your engine is, in fact, running that cool. These (and most modern engines need to run very warm) ours need to run around 205-210 degrees). If they don't the ECU sees it as a cold start situation and will richen the mixture and keep it rich (bad on the wallet and your cat).

Get an infrared point and shoot thermometer. Point it directly at the thermostat housing of a hot engine. Compare that verified number to what you are seeing on your dash gauge.

Ok so before changing the radiator, my temp would get past 210 or hotter if sitting still, because of a leaky radiator and bad fan clutch.

EXACT SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME!!! Changed the radiator and stat and poof temp only reads to the first line. I changed the stat 2 times problem was not resolved. I checked temp with with IR temp gun on the stat housing and it read 185. I was concerned it would have an effect with my emissions (I failed twice in CA) So i really looked into it. I changed the Temp sensor that screws into the stat housing, and then found out that sensor isnt even the one that gives you the temp reading, and also the temp from the correct sensor has a very minimal affect on emissions. But if you are that concerned about it the sensor you are looking for is located on the back of the head drivers side it is half the size of the one on the housing and doesnt have a Plug connection on mine it has just one small wire attached. Leme know if you need photos and I will post em up.

Back