• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new tow rig

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
For the past few months I have been looking for a new tow rig, I wanted 4 real doors and a short bed on a diesel truck. The newer the better, but I didn't want to spend over 15k.

I finally settled on this 2003 dodge 2500:

0_IMAGE_011.jpg

It has just over 200k on the odometer, but the two previous owners never towed with it! After I brought it down to my mechanics at Auburn Car Repair and Offroad to check out we decided that I couldn't go wrong with this price. The truck is very clean on the inside, with some small dents and paint scratches on the outside.

Now I have to decide what power mods I want to do on it. I have been thinking of doing an edge programmer, exhaust and intake. But I will probably hold off on that for now. Maybe a winch bumper and some of our military grade Superline XD to start...

Who here has done power mods on these year of dodges? I need to figure out which exhaust and intake to go with because I will probably be doing those before the programmer.

-Alex

I did it on my 01' Cummins and I could notice a huge mileage gain. The CR 5.9l come stock with 3.5" exhaust instead of 3" so unless you plan on doing huge power improvements straightpiping it that way will be the best bang for the buck. But these trucks are LOUD straightpiped so if you want something quieter go with a 4" MBRP system. They are excellent quality, I have their 5" system on my 07' Duramax.

My brother has an 03 QC SB laramie CTD 1ton. with a few goodies..
BD twins /4" Magnaflow turbo back/AFE Intake/Edge Attitude with Juice/FASS HPFP system..
The truck puts out well over 1k Ft/lbs torque..

Check out www.cumminsforum.com
You might have seen the rig at NWFest.. Road armor bumpers F&R.. (picture is old)
31202_1425852326843_1248813595_3127.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason I could see having that bumper is if you plan on trying some stuff from that fast and furious movie. Otherwise it just kills mileage IMO. Those Dodge's always have a place in my heart though, especially in Patriot Blue like your's Alex.

I love the bumper.. the "Brush guard" or "Train stopper" is a bit overkill IMO.

for the record.. the truck averaged 17.9mpg Towing my 5.9.. averages about 22mpg every weekend bremerton-portland empty.

good choice on the cummins :cheers:
X2 on cumminsforum.com, the guys over there will help you decide what power add ons will be better for you. seems like the smarty and the edge w/attitude are the most popular programmers/chips.
my dad has 2 cummins, an 06 2500 QC SB 4x4 thats just stock, and a 91 w350 4x4 dually with a straight pipe and K&N air filter. its just a 3" exhaust and man the thing screams!!! just the intake and exhaust helped a good amount. we dont do any major towing, the 2006 is a DD and occasionally tows a 24' travel trailer. the other one doesnt get to see much driving time except when taken off roading. makes a great recovery vehicle when things go wrong:
Oct2009045.jpg

Oct2009041.jpg

enjoy your cummins :greensmok

The only reason I would do a big bumper is if I lifted the truck, for now I am not gonna do any of that. I wish I could get a winch behind the bumper like on the Power Wagons, but I think that the intercooler and trans cooler and everything else gets in the way.

-Alex

Alex what are the emission laws in WA? If they are lax on 03' diesel's just take your truck to an exhaust shop and do a Cat and Muffler delete. I did it on my 01' Cummins and I could notice a huge mileage gain. The CR 5.9l come stock with 3.5" exhaust instead of 3" so unless you plan on doing huge power improvements straightpiping it that way will be the best bang for the buck. But these trucks are LOUD straightpiped so if you want something quieter go with a 4" MBRP system. They are excellent quality, I have their 5" system on my 07' Duramax.

I registered in Whatcom County so nothing, I can pretty much do whatever I want. I will probably do a exhaust system since I don't want it that loud.

-Alex

bad ass! im actually looking at a couple of cummins 2500's for a work/tow rig/DD and make the XJ a dedicated trail rig.

I wish I could get a winch behind the bumper like on the Power Wagons, but I think that the intercooler and trans cooler and everything else gets in the way.

-Alex

that is the reason that Power Wagons don't come with a Cummins

I know some Ford guys who space the bumper out a few inches to fit the winch in behind the stock bumper, then trim the fenders out a little to make them flow with where the bumper is now

I talked with the Mopar Underground guys at EJS this year about this and I believe that was one of their reasons for not doing the cummins.

Too bad they can't figure something out to get around it.

-Alex

They could extend the bumper out a little but the winch might block some of the flow to the Intercooler.

So I am going to go with a Stans Performance exhaust, they are made in Washington State so my shop guys are telling me to go that route.

That bumper on the white truck posted above was making me debate a lift, bigger tires and one of those last night... But that isn't gonna happen for a very long time.

-Alex

I would wait on the "look cool" department. It's a Cummins. make it SOUND cool! Bigger exhaust, Less restriction. A good programmer.. Maybe upgrade the turbo system..

Check out Dieselperformance.com

Last edited:
I would wait on the "look cool" department. It's a Cummins. make it SOUND cool! Bigger exhaust, Less restriction.. A good programmer.. Maybe upgrade the turbo system..

Check out Dieselperformance.com

I went on Cummins forum and posted up about exhaust there, so that is getting done first (4" stans kit).

After that I will probably go with a good intake and hopefully get a little more power there. I want to do a programmer but with 200k on the trans I don't wanna start throwing down big numbers and blow that up. So I am gonna wait till I have money to build a trans then do the programmer.

I do wanna add some gauges: EGT, boost, trans temp etc.

-Alex

I do wanna add some gauges: EGT, boost, trans temp etc.

^This first. Great idea to know what's going on under the hood.

I have an '01 5.9L NV4500, and ordered 0-30 psi FP(worried about my VP44 going out), 0-40 psi boost, and 100-1500* EGT ISSPRO gauges from here. Great people to deal with and they also had a-pillar mounts with matching MOPAR interior paint in stock.

So the only problem with the truck is the passenger side sun visor wont stay up, has anyone seen this problem before? The guys on cummins forum aren't very much help.

-Alex

Which part is loose? The clip or the hinge? I would just go to a junk yard and get a new one if it is the hinge or clip, or both lol...

Back