• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my new (to me) wheels

crazyjim said:
I could really give a fuck. It's just a car. I just don't appreciate all the shit talking going on about me. So sue me for getting butt hurt about it.

People shouldn't talk shit if they can't take it back in..........

crazyjim said:
I could really give a fuck. It's just a car. I just don't appreciate all the shit talking going on about me. So sue me for getting butt hurt about it.

I think you fired the first shot with the whole "Vagina Wagon" comment. Like Andy said- if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

So, BACK TO TOPIC!!! Without any jackass comments screwing up this thread. BTW....this wasn't a DRAG car so 15.40's was respectable :peace:

Those with a REAL opinion please let me know how you think that color would look on my AR-23's.

Thanks

GTIrearside.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I think gunmetal grey has always been the best color option on darker cars. But isn't powdercoating not that great for off-road, since it chips?

actually, paint chips more than powdercoat (in my experience). That GTI had a wheel curbed by a ex while she was driving it and it only scrapped P-coat off in a small area and never got any worse. I think it should be better......not better than just bare metal but better than paint.

TheWarWagon said:
I think you fired the first shot with the whole "Vagina Wagon" comment. Like Andy said- if you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Actually no, it started with Andy in another thread.

And Andy, just food for thought, be careful powdercoating aluminum wheels. Some people never have any problems and some people have huge problems. There are many reports of aluminum wheels cracking due to the temperature seen during powdercoating process. Basically, it seems that overaging the aluminum beyond the final heat-treatment of the wheel is causing the cracking and ultimately, catastrophic failure.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=151053&page=10

I remember watching a guy break a wheel at the track on a vette that he had the factory wheels powdercoated. Again, just food for thought, take it as you will.

Well, I only read half of that because I didnt understand the other half. haha

I had a friend have a wheel crack on his Audi Avant and OZ (the wheel manuf) wouldn't replace it because he had powdercoated them black. I thought it was a copout.....I guess I will try to find a number for ARE and ask them directly before proceeding.

crazyjim said:
Good idea. Also, I thought I read something about an epoxy soak kind of deal. Might look into that.

Don't know what you are talking about.......epoxy soak that colors the wheel??? Any more info?

OK. I contacted ARE about powdercoating and this was their response.

I am not sure what course of aluminum we use but I can tell you we have
had other people that have powdercoated the wheels and have not had any
problems

thanks

Hammered said:
Q: is there such a thing as a clear powdercoat? just wondering... never heard of anyone choosing clear, if so I might end up going that way in the future.
yep. they have candy colors now too.

Most powdercoaters I know of will not put the alum wheels in the oven to bake they just use the heat lamps to cure the paint.. If your really worried about them Andy take them to Olympic in santa ana.. They are one of the best..

Clean-RC said:
If your really worried about them...

They're just wheels. In a year they will (should) have plenty of rash and will still look fine.
:D

Back