• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my new project/dd 2-door content

mcguyver_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all been outta the jeep game for a bit but am getting it back in this was an unexpected purchase but i couldnt let it get junked i spotted this sweet little 1998 xj 2-door at a shop with no plates called about it they said don't know whats wrong with it $450 so i went for an inspection its 2wd (racejeep) and 5-speed!!! has 185k some minor interior issues and some exterior flaws but all it really needs is a motor and has some weird push button start...this thing is absolutely rust free and from Georgia it was given to the shop when a customer couldnt pay for work done and they never messed with it and said customer never told them what was wrong with it...so i just got it home bought it for $375!!!

this thread will be to track what i do to it like a build thread...
current list of issues (i am not fixing every little thing)
-doors dont lock
-hatch dont open
-passenger door is missing all door handle components only opens from outside
-needs a motor
-needs some front end work and tires
-needs minor exhaust work
-dent in left quarter panel behind door
-header panel is screwed up and faded paint
-hood faded paint
-push button start
-airbag light
-no radio
-headliner is jacked

already got a motor lined up just needs a head gasket need to finish working on the blazer you see in pics then i can start on this

Hahaha wow I think the only option that thing has is a 4.0. Nice find though, rust free trumps all else, options come from the junkyard!

Hahaha wow I think the only option that thing has is a 4.0. Nice find though, rust free trumps all else, options come from the junkyard!

It has cup holders.

C'mon Ken. It's got A/C, rear defrost, and the full center console. :D Mine didn't even have that...

You'd hafta check if it's got rear hatch speakers too, I got the AM/FM-only radio with just the two front speakers...

It's family day at rehab and the rifle club across the street is having a swine shoot, someone has an awful quick trigger figer over there

picked up a motor today for $50 person needed money and lost interest in future stroker project...just gotta grad a head gasket set and bolts throw it togethor and start stripping the xj to get new motor in also hitting up junkyards this week with a big parts list...

also took out the rear sway bar for racecar weight savings...

picked up a motor today for $50 person needed money and lost interest in future stroker project...just gotta grad a head gasket set and bolts throw it togethor and start stripping the xj to get new motor in also hitting up junkyards this week with a big parts list...

also took out the rear sway bar for racecar weight savings...

motor ended up being no good cylinder 5 had a ridge of rust which left the cylinder wall pitted and unusable without machine shop seller wont give money back for silly reasons but all well it a future table....bought a real motor from a reliable source for $180 and might be trading the head gasket set and bolts i bought for a 99+ intake (person has a spare intake and has to do a head on a 2001 xj)

also went to the jy that had a steel blue xj of course its gone so no header panel for me went to another jy that had a 5-speed xj got a shifter boot for $2 so not all bad still need at least both headlight surrounds and a header panel and a drivers seat frame

Try Sams pull a part, iirc they have a steel blue one with a good header panel right now. I was going to pick it up because I like having spares on hand but if you need it more...

They had a 4 headlight waggy header panel completely loaded in great shape a week and a half too.

Try Sams pull a part, iirc they have a steel blue one with a good header panel right now. I was going to pick it up because I like having spares on hand but if you need it more...

They had a 4 headlight waggy header panel completely loaded in great shape a week and a half too.

I've got a black one if you have no other options

kastein i cant make it this week are you by chance going back ill give you $20 extra if you grab it for me and ill get it from you and just in case how much billy

They charge like 80 for a fully loaded header panel. I personally think that's a bit steep.

I'm not going back this weekend most likely since I'll be holed up in the shop at work doing an AX15 swap, rear LSD install, SYE, partial transmission rebuild, partial engine rebuild and reseal, and some other crap on my DD... and won't be leaving till it's done because I drove it here :gee:

They charge like 80 for a fully loaded header panel. I personally think that's a bit steep.

I'm not going back this weekend most likely since I'll be holed up in the shop at work doing an AX15 swap, rear LSD install, SYE, partial transmission rebuild, partial engine rebuild and reseal, and some other crap on my DD... and won't be leaving till it's done because I drove it here :gee:

ok no problem was just checking ill see if i can make it out there next week thanks for the tip and good luck on the to-do list

well thanks to BillyJP got me a header panel its black but whatever should be getting my motor delivered this week, scored a '99+ intake in trade for head gasket set i wasnt gonna end up needing, might be picking up an apn header also...also picked up some almost new street tires on rims for $160 with a free full gauge cluster and driver seat frame....

so friday the motor got delivered...then saturday morning i woke up and went to a junkyard got drivers side fenderl flare brackets and a flare, vacuum ball, hardware to put the spare tire where it goes and as a bonus some factory foglight pigtails...then went to another junkyard got a brand new oil cap and a fender for my vw went home and stripped almost everything off new motor cause it was out of like a 1992 xj so cant use anything:

then mounted up my newer tires and rims i painted:

today went and picked up a used apn header for a good deal couldnt pass it up and put the motor in the jeep:

now just to put all the 1997+ stuff on with my apn header and 1999+ intake then can put the tranny in with new pilot and throwout bearing...

long overdue update but its done (almost):

130k used 4.0 is in with fresh tune-up, water pump, thermostat, motor mounts, valve cover gasket, 99+ intake, bored throttle body, apn header, shell rotella t6 oil with wix filter also replaced pilot bearing and throwout bearing along with tranny output seal and fresh fluid according to my research 10w-30 synthetic for ax15 and a new tranny mount...

new header panel is on along with nice newer tires on painted steelies (would have center caps but one broke) found fender flares to replace missing ones:

Last edited:

hatch opens now put spare tire in carpets a bit dirty:

adjusted the e-brake so it holds the jeep now passenger door still missing internals for the door handle so it has to be opened from outside but found a window crank handle and drivers seat still needs to be replaced:

airbag light is on still:

Back