• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My fuel mileage sucks...

This BG44K stuff is interesting. I might give it a try. Regarding injectors (pardon the ignorant question), but how many do I have and how difficult is it to swap them out?

My 96 XJ has 95K miles, BTW. Thanks...

CoastieJ said:
This BG44K stuff is interesting. I might give it a try. Regarding injectors (pardon the ignorant question), but how many do I have and how difficult is it to swap them out?

My 96 XJ has 95K miles, BTW. Thanks...
You have 6 for a six at about 55 bucks each, not hard to change though.

I just put in an overhead console in my 98 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 5 speed. It is an excellent way to monitor your mileage while you are driving as it shows instant mpg updated every second and avg mpg. It verified that I was indeed getting about 21.5mpg with mostly city driving. Before I installed the console I avg. about 20mpg with a best of 24.6 with all highway driving. Best fuel economy is achieved at about 40 miles an hour where I can get 32 to 34 mpg in 5th gear. It goes down from there as the speeds get higher and the A/C knocks me down 3 mpg at highway speeds. Mileage is really bad every time you have to stop and go which. The console must have some type of memory because when I installed it. (I bought it off e-bay) The avg. mileage was sitting at 16.6mpg and it has been rising the whole time. It took 2 days for me to get my Jeep from 21.4 to 21.5mpg which means I'm about maxed out for city driving. I spent about 1 year looking for a 5 speed knowing I could better control my fuel economy than with a auto. The autos' that I test drove seemed to rev to high between 1 and 2nd gear. I still hope to squeeze some more mpg. out of it by putting syn. gear oil in the tranny and axles.

You might have the wrong injectors in as well (previous owners are known to go the cheaper Mustang injector route. Good for power, but not economy)
What tire size? If stock with stock gears, then it sucks. If oversize tires, then you want to change gears so the equivalent ratio matches (ie: I run 33" tires with 3.73 gears to match my original tires with 3.08 gears) Also check MAP sensor (especially the hose going to it!) as any leak will mess with the readings. The CCV tube can also clog and cause lower fuel economy.
Brand of fuel seems to make a difference and for injector cleaner, sure BG is good, but Lucas injector cleaner is also the shiznit and much cheaper! (and it comes in plastic bottles. Different grades of plastic have different characteristics)

I get about 15-17 in the city and about 20-21 on the highway on the trip computer readout. Rusty's Flowmaster 50 and exhaust pipe added almost 1 mpg and some horsepower. 1" TB spacer added horsepower and maybe .5 mpg. I enlarged the air intake hole on the air filter box too. I got a trip avg of 18.5 MPG from Minneapolis to Moab (1282 miles) thru Denver, cruising at 65 MPH. I use SeaFoam injector cleaner about every 6-8 weeks.

my 99 4.0L AW4 got a solid consistant 15 mpg for the 3 years i had it. the 90 4.0L 5-spd i replaced it with got 16-17 mpg at stock height. whats funny is when i lifted it 5", swapped out the axles with a set running 3.55s, and added the 33x9.50s i get a consistant 20 - 21 mpg.. all these are corrected to actual by using GPS to verify milage and speedo/odometer accuracy. so i GAINED 4 mpg by lifting my rig!
i'm diggin it.

CoastieJ,
]
CoastieJ said:
Any ideas? Was thinking some new spark plugs, hi flow wires, headers, cat, and exhaust might open things up a bit. Got any ideas?

sure these things will maximize the perfomance of an engine with something really wrong. how many miles on it?
if i was getting really lousy milage i would get a fuel pressure gauge, vacuum gauge, compression gauge, a multimeter and a fsm and figure out why before i upgraded a bunch of stuff.

CoastieJ said:
Obviously the price of gas these days is killing everyone. I just bought a '96 XJ, completely stock, well maintained (have all the records). I get 12-13 mpg consistently...what's up with that? I've changed the fluids and dropped in a Fram Air Hog reusable filter. It steers straight, runs great, idles well, air is good in the tires, I drive like a grandma and still no change.

Any ideas? Was thinking some new spark plugs, hi flow wires, headers, cat, and exhaust might open things up a bit. Got any ideas?
Are you sure your OverDrive is even working? Sounds like you may be driving in third all the time.

Bought a 2001 Yellow 2 door several months ago with 82k on it..without using A/C and commuting 110 miles per day at 75-80 on the highway, I get 19mpg. If I use A/C, it drops tremendously.

MikeL

Just using quick mental math, if what you guys are saying is true, you will reduce your $/mile by about $.04 assuming gas @ $2.50/gallon and you go from 14mpg to 19 mpg. If BG44K is about $28.00 per bottle tou will recoup your money spent on the stuff in about 700 miles. Not completely accurate but assuming my mental math is not that far off, not a bad deal!

If you can't find BK44 Castle Products also makes a good one (in a metal can) it is stocked my Napa and Advanced Autoparts.

Castle[size=-2]®[/size] Dragon Power™ safely removes deposits from fuel injectors, fuel rails, intake valves, intake manifolds, and combustion chambers.

Back