• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Stealth" Vacuum Leak

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've been getting pretty poor mileage out of my '88 (208K) for some time now. I always dread smog check time and usually fail at first, then change some parts, based on the results, and ultimately pass.

Now I've been through every sensor, checked all vac lines and hoses and couldn't find any real cause of it. Also I can smell the fumes and tell it's running rich. Otherwise it runs well and idles normally.

While changing out my air filter, I looked at the little disk gizmo in the air cleaner cover, like I have many times before, but this time wondered if it really worked. Using my hand held vac pump I tested the valve in front of the air box (the one that draws air from the exh manifold shield when cold) and it tested fine. I'm also getting good vacuum at the supply line. However, when I used my pump to test the actual ports on the sensor, it would hold no vacuum on either side. Given the day was warm (like 85) I figured the sensor would be "closed" or not allow vacuum to flow to the valve when connected to the supply side. Or it was "open" and the vacuum would shut the valve. Neither happened. I took the sensor off the lid and discovered it was "open" to all ports including the one inside the cover.

AHA!!!

Of course, the part is "discontinued" but it appears to be a Carter component. Carter makes quite a few as TS11, TS9, TS10, etc. I'm not sure what the differences are so I haven't ordered one yet. For now, I just wrapped the supply nipple (can I say that?) with some electrical tape to seal it and put the vac line over it to hold it in place.

So a few things have changed. First my ol' Renix starts a bit faster now. I don't have the same strong rich fuel smell. I haven't driven it far enough to determine if my mileage has improved but the initial results (after 50 miles) are promising.

So I'm gonna run it like this for a while and see if my mileage does improve (get about 10-11 mpg) city. I do a lot of very short trips so I figured that was the primary reason for the poor mileage.

Has anyone else run into issues with this. If you replaced it, do you recall what specific part you purchased?

Since I live in SoCal, it never really gets cold enough to worry about not getting "heated air" but the components are still required to pass smog (I failed once because the hose from the manifold to the air box was missing).

In case you not sure what part I'm talking about it's here on the rear of the airbox.

v98DAaL.jpg

This is what it look like.

DHdnJDM.jpg

Back