• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My '01 XJ - A Work in Progress

Well, it was a productive weekend at home! Got the axle U-joints replaced (drivers side was bad, just as I had hoped), changed the oil and filter, drained and filled the transmission, painted my door kick panel things, and got a stubby rubber antenna to replace the long metal one; it looks much better! My next "big ticket" item will be 5100's all around...at least that's what I'm hoping for! I should be able to get those ordered in less than a month! I'm thinking about a CB setup as well!

Well, other than some new fluids and new axle U-joints, not much has been going on with the XJ. I don't really have a lot of extra money during the school year, so I have to prioritize wisely. Right now, I'm trying to decide between some Bilstein's or a handgun. I did finally get some dirt on the tires yesterday though. I found a network of forestry service roads nearby and explored a few miles of them, but not even close to the whole network.

ARP_1189.jpg

ARP_1186.jpg

When I'm not busy with college or working on the Jeep, I like to be a little creative. Any guesses what I do with this stuff?

DSC_4432.jpg

Take pictures?

So after more than a year with the XJ, I think I have finally decided which direction to take the build. I am realizing more and more that most of the off-roading that I do only consists of Forestry Service roads, etc...and no "hard core" wheeling. If I lived in Moab, it'd be a different story. Since this is my DD and expedition rig, I have decided to keep it small (actually go a little smaller), and make it a solid, well-built, mild trail rig. I have been saving my pennies, and with Christmas and a few contract jobs coming up, I should be able to order at least part of this list the day after Christmas.

In no particular order:

HD Tie-Rod w/ new ends
HD Steering Box Spacer
BPE’s all around
SOLID Diff Covers
Armor (Sliders, skids, etc...)
2.5/3" OME Coils
2.5/3" OME Leafs
Stock Length Shackles or LII Leaf Sliders
Bilstein 5100’s
H.D. Engineering Frame Stiffeners
Braided Brake Lines
CB Setup
Window rack w/ Axe & Shovel
Aux Switch Panel

Thoughts?

Well, I got home from college for Christmas break today and look what was waiting for me! Shiny new Bilstein 5100's along with some DPG Offroad Swaybar Disconnect cables! Hopefully I'll have more upgrades/projects done by the end of break, but this is what I'm starting with!

I am most likely going to cut the boots off before installation. I'm guessing that can-down is the way to go, huh?

photo1_zps8d7b3164.jpg

photo2_zps2f8eabe3.jpg

Also, am I supposed to use both of these rubber feet? It doesn't seem like theres going to be a lot of stem left for the nut to go on.

photo3_zps9658f460.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pictures!

Well, I got home from college for Christmas break today and look what was waiting for me! Shiny new Bilstein 5100's along with some DPG Offroad Swaybar Disconnect cables! Hopefully I'll have more upgrades/projects done by the end of break, but this is what I'm starting with!

I am most likely going to cut the boots off before installation. I'm guessing that can-down is the way to go, huh?

photo1_zps8d7b3164.jpg

photo2_zps2f8eabe3.jpg

Also, am I supposed to use both of these rubber feet? It doesn't seem like theres going to be a lot of stem left for the nut to go on.

photo3_zps9658f460.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pictures!

Yes you must use the rubber "feet". Those are the upper shock bushings and you most certainly need them. You just need to have enough threads showing to start to screw the nut on. Once the nut is on it will sandwich the bushings between the metal washers. You put a washer and rubber bushing on before sliding the stem in the upper mount hole with the washer going on first and then the bushing. Then once the shock is in place you put the the bushing and washer on the exposed part of the stem under the hood. Bushing first then the washer. Make sure to observe the way the old shock's upper bushings are if you need a reference to what I explained. Rule of thumb is tighten down the nut until you see the bushing spread out to the edge of the washer.

Yes you must use the rubber "feet". Those are the upper shock bushings and you most certainly need them. You just need to have enough threads showing to start to screw the nut on. Once the nut is on it will sandwich the bushings between the metal washers. You put a washer and rubber bushing on before sliding the stem in the upper mount hole with the washer going on first and then the bushing. Then once the shock is in place you put the the bushing and washer on the exposed part of the stem under the hood. Bushing first then the washer. Make sure to observe the way the old shock's upper bushings are if you need a reference to what I explained. Rule of thumb is tighten down the nut until you see the bushing spread out to the edge of the washer.

Awesome, thanks man!

Today was install day for the DPG Sway Bar disco cables as well as the new Bilsteins! I started with the cables first...

First step is to take the battery out:

DSC_4537_zps58e50b97.jpg

DSC_4540_zpsd24530e9.jpg

Then drill a hole on each side (the instructions say where). I don't have a stock air box as referenced in the instructions, so I guesstimated where the hole would go.

Uninstalled on the passenger side:

DSC_4541_zpsc581e781.jpg

Installed on the driver side:

DSC_4548_zps71772b0c.jpg

Then rig them up and figure out how long they need to be to serve their purpose, take them out, and crimp the cable, then cut! (Picture is un-cut but adjusted to size):

DSC_4543_zps1858c7b3.jpg

Installed!

DSC_4550_zps40fefe18.jpg

And next was the shocks. I didn't take any pictures of the removal or installation, mainly because my hands were so dirty. I did the whole job with the wheels on the ground, no jack, nothing! The rear upper shock bolts gave me no trouble at all. Just remove the old and install the new...

Front studs:

DSC_4551_zpsc66c476b.jpg

DSC_4553_zpsbd1f47f4.jpg

Installed:

DSC_4554_zps7071b1e0.jpg

DSC_4555_zps30ec7ffc.jpg

DSC_4556_zps7c0b38c9.jpg

DSC_4557_zps8cf96348.jpg

Rear installed:

DSC_4558_zpsb67763a8.jpg

I only drove it around my neighborhood to test everything out, but I could tell a difference! More stable around corners, and much more controlled braking as far as nose-dive goes. To top it all off, when I pulled out of my driveway....no squeaks! That was the first time I've gone over a bump or down a dip without any noise whatsoever.

I am planning on having OME coils and leaf springs installed by the end of Christmas break, so hopefully that will top off the road manners redo.

Today I got my switch panel installed! I specially ordered all 7 switches to have green LED's to sort of match the dash lights.

Before:

DSC_4567_zpse8ec6e25.jpg

During:

DSC_4571_zps4d480856.jpg

After:

DSC_4582_zps660f8768.jpg

DSC_4585_zpsa35ce9db.jpg

I can't wait to have enough stuff to take up all 7 switches!

I have a whole pile of lift parts just waiting to get installed, hopefully soon!

Hey all,

I know I've been dormant for awhile, but I wanted to give a quick update, not necessarily XJ related (although a few things have changed, which I'll post about in a few weeks). The past few months, I've been working on my senior project to graduate from North Georgia, up in the mountains of Dahlonega, Georgia. I created a time lapse film featuring the town and it's surrounding areas. It's been a labor of love that has been well received thus far. I made it public today at noon and it's already at almost 2000 views, which I'm blown away by. If you want, check out the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmP6WDqWuNQ

Thanks!

That's awesome, the transition to night is my favorite part, great job !

and the rest of the night scenes, mind blown !

Last edited:
Well, it's been ages since I've done a real update to the build, so here goes nothing!

There was a long (probably 8 months or so) period where the XJ was serving as my DD (still is), and I didn't have much time to work on it because of school and work. I graduated college back in December, so I've had some time on the weekends to put some work in and starting getting it to the point where I want it. In the past 6 months or so I have:

- Installed new, longer Bilstein 5100's since the original ones I got ended up being a little short. I ran them for a little bit and then sold them.
- Replaced my Firestone Destination M/T's with Cooper Discoverer AT3 in the same size (245/75/16). This was probably one of the best decisions I've made other than putting Old Man Emu coils and leafs on. The Cooper's ride so smooth and quiet compared to the Firestone's. I would have kept the Firestone's if this was a weekend trail rig, but serving DD duty, I just wasn't using them how they are supposed to be used, so I sold them to a forum member here.
- Installed a new Kenwood head unit and Alpine speakers in all 4 corners. I wanted a USB hookup on the rear of the head unit so that I could run a cable for my iPhone down through the center console, with it ending underneath my e-brake handle. I'll get a pic of that later, but it makes for easy access to my music, etc...
- Relined my headliner
- Replaced brake master cylinder and brake booster
- Installed adjustable upper and lower control arms (still want long arms)
- Installed rubber Brown Dog motor mounts and a new OEM transmission mount
- Installed hack-n-tap SYE (I have the 242 t-case so it was really my only option)
- Installed IronMan4x4Fab shackle relocation brackets. My shackle angle was really bad, and these have helped tremendously.
- Installed IRO steering box spacer
- Installed JCR rear bumper with hitch receiver and integrated 1/4 panel armor
- Installed JCR PreRunner front bumper with hitch receiver
- Installed new OEM fender flares painted Satin Black to match the bumpers
- Repainted my roof rack
- Installed Olympus Offroad 50" HD (Cree bulbs) LED light bar with Inspired Engineering mounts. I found their mounts and had to have them simply because they are exactly like (if not actually) my JCR roof rack mounts, so the look flows a lot better. Beefy too!
- Installed TruckLite LED headlights (insanely good)
- Installed smoked corners and tail lights
- Installed DieHard Platinum battery
- Installed Kelley's Work in Progress 4AWG battery cables and ANL fuse kit
- Replaced rear main seal and oil pan gasket

Typing that list made me realize just how many hours I've spent on this thing recently. I took a little drive today and got some pictures before the sun went down:

Found a field on the way home after the FS road:

Of course, my to-do list is still a mile long, but I'm happy with the progress so far. I think about selling it every day, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

Thanks for looking!

Back