• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Question?

Everyone in this thread with a Glasspack is fired!

They are worthless pieces of crap that should never be put on anything. Flowmasters are Junk huh? At least have the common sense to build up your vehicles right. If you are going to be driving the thing everyday don't put a glass pack on it. I point and laugh at people that do that. Looks like the ricer movement is rubbing off on you all. I have the dynomax super turbo exhaust and while i admit it could sound better its WAY better than any glasspack i have ever heard on anything

I think you need to hear what my car sounds like. I have a glasspack and I drive it everyday for about 6 months now. Is sounds amazing. Oh yea and flowmasters are crap. They are one of the worst flowing mufflers out there.

glass pack sounds pretty good on my 4.7 stroker. I have a better muffler for it, just dont feel like completely redoing the exhaust as of the moment.

Considering as the exhaust after the cat is one of the LEAST important performance upgrades, you are fired. You spent your time and money on your exhaust, I spent mine on the motor, axles, suspension and protection.

to each his own.

considering many offroad parks require some sort of spark arrestor i think one should reconsider using a glasspack.
I have no opinions on flowmaster but i do believe to each his own. If you like the way your rig sounds isn't that all that matters

I just ordered for a friend a turbo muffler from summit racing. 100% american made! and it costed 17.95 lol It just came in yesterday, It looks good now we got to see how it sounds. For a turbo muffler for 18 bucks how can you go wrong? I got a magna flow on mine sounds good still quiet just a lil more rumble not loud at all

FlexdXJ said:
Everyone in this thread with a Glasspack is fired!

They are worthless pieces of crap that should never be put on anything. Flowmasters are Junk huh? At least have the common sense to build up your vehicles right. If you are going to be driving the thing everyday don't put a glass pack on it. I point and laugh at people that do that. Looks like the ricer movement is rubbing off on you all. I have the dynomax super turbo exhaust and while i admit it could sound better its WAY better than any glasspack i have ever heard on anything
Actually, the muscle car movement rubbed off on the ricers...Glasspacks used to be on big V8s. It wasn't til CIvics started getting modded that people put them on a 4 banger.

really? You laugh at people with glasspacks? I laugh at people with flowmasters. I'll have to post a bid of my friends 89 dodge Dakota that runs on 5/6 cylinders and is spray painted camo. That's the kind of People who buy flowmasters. But it's got a super 40 so at least it sounds good Right!? Or my other friend who got a $45,000 f-150 handed to him his 16'th birthday. He doesn't know shit when it Comes to cars and what kind of exhaust do ya think he had his daddy pay for? Yup! A flowmaster. Flowmaster exhaust is for trash or someone who doesn't even know what a damn cresent wrench is. other than producing a sound that reminds me of a tractor a flowmaster has NO benifit at all

You're a real expert for someone on their first car, still in high school, without a freakin clue what they're doing or talking about.

I am gonna try to build up my 4.0. What I was thinking was like a 10:1 compression ratio and 7000 rpm. What I need is suggestions on how to do this. What will I need to build it and where can I get it?

Darky said:
Actually, the muscle car movement rubbed off on the ricers...Glasspacks used to be on big V8s. It wasn't til CIvics started getting modded that people put them on a 4 banger.

Yeah i know the glasspack was a performance part back in the muscle car and Hot Rod eras. Now there is far better technology and mufflers that sound better than any glasspack ever made :D

KMK172008 said:
really? You laugh at people with glasspacks? I laugh at people with flowmasters. I'll have to post a bid of my friends 89 dodge Dakota that runs on 5/6 cylinders and is spray painted camo. That's the kind of People who buy flowmasters. But it's got a super 40 so at least it sounds good Right!? Or my other friend who got a $45,000 f-150 handed to him his 16'th birthday. He doesn't know shit when it Comes to cars and what kind of exhaust do ya think he had his daddy pay for? Yup! A flowmaster. Flowmaster exhaust is for trash or someone who doesn't even know what a damn cresent wrench is. other than producing a sound that reminds me of a tractor a flowmaster has NO benifit at all

Sounds better than a glasspack! and you are talking trash about a guy who actually makes his truck sounds decent when you know damn well that it would sound like shit with glasspacks. Around here we take pride in our vehicles being built right. My jeep may not be the biggest but it looks good and sounds decent, whether its a honda , XJ, Vdub, or whatever if you are gonna modify it do it right. I spent many hours working to build my Jeep i don't want it to sound like i half-assed my exhaust.

hubs97xj said:
You're a real expert for someone on their first car, still in high school, without a freakin clue what they're doing or talking about.
Really? I have no clue? My grandparents have a 16 bay shop and a FLEET of cars. I'm not exagerating when I say they have at least 50 crown vics/ grand marquis. About 10 of which have over 1,000,000 miles. not to mention the chevy 2500's the ford rangers and all the other vehicles. We test tire wear for companies like Goodyear, sumitomo, bridgestone, etc. What do you think I do for a summer job? I work at the shop reparing cars with 500000+ miles. I think I know my way around a car.

Darky said:

Yes I first used glasspacks on my Chevy 327. I just stuck them in the collectors of the headers. I used the ebrake cable to keep them from dragging on the road. lol, I was 18. Every once in a while I would lose one, circle back, pick it up and stick it back in the collector. 72 Nova.

Now we used to make fun of the guys that used "Cherry bombs".

flowmaster 44 sounds super good on a xj $90 bucks...glasspack is ok...$30....

have had both....but i prefer the glass pack...becuase im on my 3rd muffler and 2nd drive shaft in about 2 years....i cant justify smashing 90 bucks...the less the better...the glass pack is not even loud..pfft

I'm of my opinion that each to their own when it comes to mufflers. Either style sounds better than the stock muffler set up and must weigh a good 30lbs less than stock as well. I personally drove for 2 years with a broken honeycomb cat that sounded like you had ball bearings in a paint can and a 1/2 dozen 1/8" holes drilled just up stream, incase it started plugging up. Talk about sounding like a tracktor. Replaced both with an $18.99 schmucks special cherrybomb and I personally like the sound. I am, planning on replacing it with a magnaflow eventually. I had one on my LS1 transam and loved it. This too is a "straight through" style muffler but I don't beleive they use packing. They're just a little pricey.

Fast95Neon said:
flowmaster 44 sounds super good on a xj $90 bucks...glasspack is ok...$30....

have had both....but i prefer the glass pack...becuase im on my 3rd muffler and 2nd drive shaft in about 2 years....i cant justify smashing 90 bucks...the less the better...the glass pack is not even loud..pfft

X2 just put my super 44 on and it was the sound i was looking for...had a glass pack on my old one and it had a bit of a grumble to it but not amazing

I run a Flowmaster knockoff. It's some no-name look-alike. It sounds decent and it's beefy enough to hold up in the rocks. It was on the recieving end of some rocks the last time I went through the rockgarden at Redbird. I was impressed with how well it didn't crush.

FlexdXJ has heard my Jeep. He may remember what it sounded like......I dunno.

When I first put it on I hated it. I thought it was loud and obnoxious. Since then, it's kinda grown on me. I've had several non-XJ'ers compliment me and ask what it took to stuff a V8 in a cherokee.:D

Back