• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mt side ohv closing down

256offroad

NAXJA Forum User
quoted from facebook

"
Mountainside is sad to announce that the January Jam,Jan. 7th and 8th, will be the final ride for Mountainside. Due to insurance rates going up so high and regulations and guidlines they have set forth we are not going to be able to keep the gates open!! We want to thank... EVERYONE that has come out and help support the park over the years. A very special thanks to the Black Creek Fire Dept. for being out there to help at all our events and rides!! Great group of people that volunteer their time to be there for the community!!! Please come out for our finale ride and lets make the last a blast!!!! Bring some fire wood and we will have a fire and have a good time!!!! Thanks again to EVERYONE!!! We will be cooking Saturday. Plan to join us and make this final ride one to remember.

"

so if you havent ridin there.... MAKE IT THAT WEEKEND!!! I would be there if i didnt already have a vacation planned that weekend.

Crap and it's on "the list".

Who's up for going???

I might be game for this...

I might be able to do this one....might...I'll keep following this thread. If I do, it will be with the girls again.

Rock Yuppie said:
It's more than just raising some extra change to keep the park going. I can get cheaper insurance, but it is simply a trip and fall insurance policy. It would not protect me or my family, and not much protection for the park. A waiver signed at the gate is simply that. Most people don't even sign a legable name to the form. In the event that a person got severely injured or killed due to their own actions or someone Else's, an insurance company will begin picking every safety aspect of the park operation apart looking for a way to void your policy. The money you pay them, they pay lawyers to defend a hefty payout. It will work against the business owner everytime unless they have complied to the lastest safety audit. Our audit calls for safety barriers between the spectators and participants, Perimiter fencing, eye wash and first aid stand at check in, a full time CPR certified staff member everytime the gates are open. Permanent mounted fire extinguishers in every rig entering the park. Safety belts/ rollover protection structures, High visibility signage for all trails and a few other requirements requiring set dates and times for event, including no wheeling before 30 minutes after day light and 30 minutes before dusk.

I have spent the last three months back and forth between attorneys and Insurance companies and just simply do not see it possible at this point to keep the park open to the public. I will continue to pursue this, but will not be able to allow the park to be open after Jan 10, 2012. I hate it just as bad as everyone else. I have poured a lot of time and money into this place for us all to enjoy, but I have to consider the worst case at this point.

Ok. So, who's down for a ride before they close up?

What about the possibility of making it private and having a membership fee?

Users of it would have to register and get a registration number, you have all of their contact information and if they have passengers they have to fill out a form and register with them as well..

Might be a bit of red tape, but a simple laptop or what not would make this easy.

I'd hate to see another place close down.

There was talk about that on Hardline. Look at snowbird ohv.. you pay $1000 for membership .. you can invite 6 people with the membership.. its not bad if every one chips in ...

rolled my jeep there in 2008. one of the best places in the south. the vibe there is the mellowest. all the trails at the time were fresh(2008). ive been there maybe 4 times. i will definately be there by hook or crook.
im calling out Chris Hyde....i dare you to be my co-pilot...again. lol!

is Chris still in the offroad scene?

I think he is playing in the band on naxja as well as pirate.

Last edited:
He's out. Dude is awesome IMHO. Tentative plans to ride together that weekend.

Man this just sucks. This was one of my favorite places to ride. I got to ride it before he even really opened the park and have loved it since. If you have never been you will be missing out. I am going to plan on being there for this ride. Would be nice to ride with Juan and Chris again.

Just a few pics from over the years at MSORP.

Snowy winter day a few years ago.
DSCN2476.jpg

DSCN2439.jpg

Bob's buggy (owner of park)
IMG_1179.jpg

Chris' old XJ
IMG_1243.jpg

Killer views
IMG_1273.jpg

Picture949.jpg

Wife making "Full Throttle" not long after park opened. This hill is almost impossible now.
IMG_3161.jpg

Back