• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Money to spend

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
So I just got a bonus of $500 from work and plan to spend some (all) of it on the Jeep.

Here are my 2 directions. What say y'all for the type of wheeling we have here in the SEC? I am running on 31s and 4.10s.

1. SYE and front locker. SYE since I have the money now and can get it done before I get inchitis.

2. SYE and Teraflex shackles/spacers to add 2 inches so I am at about 5 over all.

Other thoughts....especially those that have run with me and are familiar with my rig. Interested to hear what you think.

I would go with #1.

I'm not the biggest fan with going real tall, but I am biased towards more of an expedition style rig anyways. Plus, I think you'll be able to do more stuff with a locker than you would be able to do with ~2" of (wasted) extra height.

numero uno, i seen you wheel, pulled you a time or two, know that you need the traction!

pulled you a time or two, know that you need the traction!

No one can say I am too proud to be yanked out!

My thought on option #2 was that if I had a couple more inches that I would have cleared some of the stuff I got hung on, but yeah, traction will do it too...

Sounds like I have a winner!

Locked is very handy. If you put in a lunchbox locker like a LockRight Locker in your front axle, you can save a load of cash over selectable lockers but the tradeoff is your turning radius can become very large in certain situations like turning while on dirt or leaves (anything less than grippy) especially on the side of a hill. The (expensive) fix is a selectable locker. Personally, I'd do a lunchbox locker because if you hate it, you can pull it out & sell it & install the pricier selectable ones when you get the money. I think you'll find the LockRight benefits outweigh the downsides, especially the install. Selectable ones look like they have a high PITA install factor but I haven't done one.

If you do a SYE, make sure you budget in some money for a different rear driveshaft.

Last edited:
If you do a SYE, make sure you budget in some money for a different rear driveshaft.

I have a spare front DS that I understand will work in the rear with an SYE, so I think I am good. Otherwise I'll pull something that will work out of the junkyard for $15.

Which SYE are you going with?

Not sure Tim. Haven't really gotten that far yet. I thought I saw Tyler had one for sale on the classifieds so I am following up on that.

If I remember correctly he's got a Hack n Tap, which is what I have and has held up very well. Not to mention it's a very inexpensive way of doing an SYE.

Can't remember, but you have a NP231 correct?

Dirk, I agree with the locker up front. Thats where the weight is and you wont regret it. My $0.02

Locker and SYE!!!!

just remember that a SYE includes getting a new drive shaft at time of assembly. Best to do if you KNOW your not going to change the lift height in the future...

What everyone else said! Front locker FTW!

my vote would be front locker...

although, when i installed my ausie, and alloy shafts... that's when i started breaking stuff up front :dunno:
i also noticed, with the locker you try "harder" stuff... push things a little harder. i found out that when you try bigger stuff and really have to "hit it", you end up putting alot more strain on the front end, as my open rear end would just spin when i needed it to do push me up stuff... (that's fixed now)

a question to ponder, on your decision... when wheeling which occurs more, dragging your frame rails, gas tank, or having a lack of traction?

my vote would be front locker...

a question to ponder, on your decision... when wheeling which occurs more, dragging your frame rails, gas tank, or having a lack of traction?

Traction was my biggest issue at Harlan, especially entering the upper rock garden, and most all of the lower rock garden.

I've got my plan worked out.
-Aussie locker showed up last night
-Ordering the Dirtbound Offroad SYE kit in Septmber
-Then when money is available will get an adjustable track bar
-Then after that track bar is in, I will go with spacer/shackle kits (again when money is available)

I'm pretty excited about the way this is turning out. Can't wait to get it back on the trail again. Hopefully the Flog with an SYE and locker!!

Back