• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Money market funds, IRAs, retirement accounts

Nickel-metal Hydride batteries

example:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1661031_1661028_1661022,00.html

Plenty more to read online too if you take the time to look...

I have not done all my home work yet on lithium ion battery environmental issues (if there are any), but the latest hybrid car batteries are/will be using lithium ion batteries from what I have seen the last 3 months.

That is why I asked.

Nickel is an EPA hazardous waste metal in solution at high enough concentrations, but not as bad as lead and cadmium.

And thats what everyone needs to do.

You keep putting money into your IRA or 401K, you keep buying. Sometimes high sometimes low. Sure it looks like you lost a lot but it will go back up and now you have a ton more shares, if you bought while its down.

My Fidelity fund jumped 12% today.

The stocks to buy Friday were GM and Morgan Stanly. They went up 35% and 50% respectively on Monday.

I kick myself in the ass for being on vacation and not buying GM last week.

I opened a brokerage account today though, its time to get in.

I kick myself in the ass for being on vacation and not buying GM last week.

I opened a brokerage account today though, its time to get in.

Not to worry, it went back down some today, but yes, Friday was a day to buy. By the way, the only reason GM went up was because of the financials, GMAC part, not the automotive part. A bunch of banks are back up 50% from their lows.

Meh, I'm 24 years old, anything I put in now is staying there a while. At least until its time to pull cash for grad school in 2 years, or buy a house.

I have not done all my home work yet on lithium ion battery environmental issues (if there are any), but the latest hybrid car batteries are/will be using lithium ion batteries from what I have seen the last 3 months.

That is why I asked.

Nickel is an EPA hazardous waste metal in solution at high enough concentrations, but not as bad as lead and cadmium.

Lithium Ion ones are good, as long as they dont catch fire :D See: Dell Laptops...

I wasn't aware that anyone (or everyone) was switching to the L-I batteries yet....

Lithium Ion ones are good, as long as they dont catch fire :D See: Dell Laptops...

I wasn't aware that anyone (or everyone) was switching to the L-I batteries yet....

I forget the company name but their is an all electric sports car, with a 0-60 mph in about 2.5 seconds, selling for just under $100,000, that has about a 6 month back log of orders, silicon valley like success story, and they are using al Lithium Ion batteries. They were on a PBS interview a few weeks ago on the business news. GM's volt is expected to use Lithium Ion and so is the one that Ford or Chrysler ( I forget which?) announced just last week. I usually hear and read about this stuff before most others.

I think the lithium ion fire issue is less of an issue than the explosive gas issue, LOL.

I forget the company name but their is an all electric sports car, with a 0-60 mph in about 2.5 seconds, selling for just under $100,000, that has about a 6 month back log of orders, silicon valley like success story, and they are using al Lithium Ion batteries. They were on a PBS interview a few weeks ago on the business news. GM's volt is expected to use Lithium Ion and so is the one that Ford or Chrysler ( I forget which?) announced just last week. I usually hear and read about this stuff before most others.

I think the lithium ion fire issue is less of an issue than the explosive gas issue, LOL.

Tesla motors, they have a 4 door in the process of being produced as well as the sports car, some of those have already been delivered. The hold up was the batteries and the built in onboard charger system. The 4 door is targeted for the $25K price range.
The roadster was designed by lotus engineers, I've been following it for the past 2 years.

I found out there are like 4 or more different lithium, lithium ion batteries running around with significant differences in them. One uses cobalt, another uses iron phosphate!

But back to MF's, check this out in todays news!

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20081021/48fd53c0_3ca6_1552620081021921333518

"Fed makes new move to help bust credit logjam By MARTIN CRUTSINGER and JEANNINE AVERSA (AP Economics Writers)
From Associated Press
October 21, 2008 11:00 AM EDT
WASHINGTON - The Federal Reserve on Tuesday introduced a new program to finance the purchases of assets from money market mutual funds as the government continued to search for ways to battle a severe credit crisis.
"The short-term debt markets have been under considerable strain in recent weeks as money market mutual funds and other investors have had difficulty selling assets to satisfy redemption requests," the Fed said in an announcement of its new effort.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. was chosen to run five special funds that will buy certificates of deposit, bank notes and commercial paper from money market mutual funds. The Fed will lend up to $540 billion to the five funds to support the effort.
Fed officials said that about $500 billion had flowed out of prime money-market funds since August as investors began to worry about their ability to redeem their investments. On Sept. 18, the Treasury Department announced it was tapping a $50 billion Treasury fund to provide guarantees for the assets in the funds. The new Fed initiative is designed to bolster the funds further.
Meanwhile, the Treasury Department announced Tuesday that it had selected two major accounting firms to help manage the government's $700 billion rescue program for the financial system.
The department selected Pricewaterhouse Coopers to be an auditor for the program that will purchase troubled assets from financial institutions while Ernst & Young was chose to provide general accounting support.
Those announcements came as the House Financial Services Committee held a hearing Tuesday in which experts discussed what needs to be done to improve the government's regulatory structure. The aim is to find a way to better manage the financial system to prevent another financial crisis.
Democrats in Congress were also pushing ahead with efforts to assemble a second economic stimulus program. That effort got a timely endorsement on Monday from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke."

so now we're just shy of $1.3 trillion invested in Wall Street...

...great...:eyeroll:

so now we're just shy of $1.3 trillion invested in Wall Street...

...great...:eyeroll:

Not to worry, I am sure Wall Street has far more than that invested in Washington.:eek:

in other news today, Wall street crashed again, DJIA
arrow-dn-lg.gif

Change:-514.45 -5.69%

Even better, OPEC wants to push oil prices up....

They'll be pissed when no one buys the higher priced oil. "Need" is already dropping worldwide...

Well the stock market seems to be happy about something today. Up another 3% today.:clap:

:party:

I guess maybe they think McCain is going to win, or maybe not?

Back