• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOHAWK MADNESS labor Day Weekend!!!! sept 3 - 5

my friend sean may be coming and he's 19. but there are gonna be some "crusty ole' bastids" coming too.. i'm a 30-something (damn that is sobering)

Hope everyone got back ok, I had to get back to the ole homestead - the honeydoo list got kind of out of control.... :twak: , but I had a great time wheeling what I did wheel, and enjoyed meeting everyone that I did. :wave1: I Have some pix of Bic and Eagle, unfortunately thats about it, y'all got so far ahead of my slow little heep that I didnt get many shots at all. I'll post a link when I get 'em together. :greensmok

Great weekend, big thanks to Earl & Mike for organizing it!

On Saturday I went on Earl's run to Tunnel Rd, Soapstone and Florida Mountain with between 5-7 vehicles (2 dropped on the last trail) and they were awesome trails. My favorite was the last one which didn't have any real hard obstacles but was technical and you needed to be alert the whole way up while threading your Jeep between trees and slinging mud and climbing roots and rocks at the same time, and the payoff was a spectacular view at the top. :sunshine:

My only carnage was a dislocated E-brake cable that broke when a 6" diameter by 4' log got between it and the axle and then twisted up and wedged between the gas tank skid and the inside of the rim, this of course happened in a 12" deep mud pit LOL :mad:

Sunday I went with Earls group of 4 on an easier run to the loop and sucker pond rd but Alan's driveshaft u-joint gave up on the dirt road in so he turned around and went out in front wheel drive. Then I got crossed up on the trail trying to avoid a big log and dug myself in and spent the next hour trying to get unstuck before getting yanked out in a double snatch with Earls XJ strapped to Patricks budget boosted XJ (which only got stuck because he was trying to back up to help me, Patrick drove awesome) strapped to my XJ with a total of 100' of tow strap, way to go Earl! :worship:

Didn't get to take too many pictures but I've put up what I got HERE

It was a really fun time doing some excellent wheeling with great people and I can't wait to do it again!

-Bic

holy crap what a weekend!!! saturday i took 6 of us thru sucker pond and the corridor 9 trail, and we finished off with the "elephant" run... the latter being the high point of the day with a few of us learning the value of rock rails and lockers.. got some pics but none from " the elephant" ... awesome potluck BBQ kinda came together at the base camp that night.. i brought my beef Kabobs.. bic brought some excellent chicken and steak .... uh.. tandori?? i think thats what he said.. and propane-jay was flippin bugers like a real fry cook.... sunday my group was only 4 rigs so we covered alot more ground.... we ran tunnel road and soap-stone (top of the world). after lunch and a few repairs to jay's leaking t/case we were off to run dodge road a short but real technical run.. and followed that up with a run at Notch road... which was incredibly washed out (even more than mid july when i ran it last) it used to be a long grades hill climb and some pretty smooth switchbacks, and the highpoint was a split-level ladge and hill climb at the very top... now every switchback is washed out and some of the ruts are 3-4' deep and the road is totally reshaped in places.. rocks you drove overr in may are now window-high and threaten your body panels now.. a few straps and some group-spotting got us up that trail.. all was fine until mike (wilsmick.. sp??) decided to get great traction on the second step of the last hill and climb the down-hill tire up the 3' bank and lift the right front 4' in the air while the left rear was also airborne.. quick thinking, and a few of us on his front fender kept him from rolling down the 30' cliff literally 2' to his left... a lil panic is fun.... cant wait to see the video!!! aftert hat we headed down the mountain to call it a day.. but there was this one lil mudhole just minutes from the end that i told jay (mud-boy/propane jay) to take a run at.. it was only 20' across but it was deeper than the doorsills on his doorless XJ so he barley got out.. chris made a run at it with his ZJ and swamped his motor and airbox and needed a tug to get clear of it.. a lil water-removal and jay's donation of a t-shirt to act as an interim airfilter to replace the muddy old fram and we were rolling once again.... and on the final decent jays alternator died and when his battery was sucked dry his engine quit.. on a pretty step decent... no power assist on steering or brake. jay hollered on the CB that he couldnt stop so we all whipped off the trail or made a banzia run to the botttom staying ahead of him.... after getting jay on a trailer we finally got back to camp around 1130 and stayed another night on greylock and called it a weekend monday AM....
awesome weekend guys!!!!! thanks to everyone who came.. and i promise it will be alot more organized next year..

pics and video will be posted soon....

thanks for a great weekend wish i didn't have to leave sunday.but with everything that happen had no josk. but did have a great run with the stocker sat look forward to the next time. without the rockman and his targets, steve thanks alot it was fun and raflh said he learned a lot from you

Last edited:
GREAT GREAT weekend!! I had such a good time! I wasn't really sure what to expect coming into it, but this weekend I met a great group of people and wheeled some really great terrain. Thanks Mike, Earl and whoever else helped this come together. :thumbup:

Saturday was definately fun, especially towards the end of the day when we hit the elephant run. This was our first real go of some pretty challenging terrain for my little XJ with a 3" lift and 31" A/T's. It was a real sloppy combination of some nasty-slippery mud and loose watermelon-sized rocks. Picking a line through that stuff was just not a realistic option for my little XJ. All I remember hearing was "STAY ON IT!!! <crunch> STAY ON IT!!!! <bang>" It was fun as anything though.

Sunday I was hoping for even more..... let's just say I got it. I still can't believe I made it through some of those spots with as little damage as I did. The only real damage was a couple more dents to my driver side rocker panel, no worries though, it was toast anyway. Tunnel road up to Top of the World was a blast. Dodge was short and sweet and Notch road had a bunch of completely unexpected new obstacles from the wash out.

A sincere thanks goes out the whole group for the effort that everyone made to get me back on solid ground after my little near-roll experience. :rof: It took some time, but everything worked out okay in the end. I even had a nice little snack and a drink while I was hanging out in there (with a strong foot on brake of course). I never thought it would be possible to lift a tire that high with open diffs! :confused: Live and learn. I should figure out how to get some of that video on-line. I got a bunch of pics too.

As for my brother Chris's ZJ, that thing did great, I was totally impressed with it (more than once), but man, his rockers took a serious beating. Just mangled them. They hang down way to low anyway. They were just askin for it. So now, we've both got new to-build lists. Lockers and Rockers.

I really had a blast this weekend, can't wait to do it again.

Northern Pride said:
Here is the link to the photos hope you all like um!

Doug...

great pics.. i havent gotten many good pics lately cause i'm usually leading and geting the rest of the rigs thru obstacles.. more than 1/2 my picks were taken by my daughter so i guess i have to keep bringing the kids....

mike

sidriptide said:
great pics.. i havent gotten many good pics lately cause i'm usually leading and geting the rest of the rigs thru obstacles.. more than 1/2 my picks were taken by my daughter so i guess i have to keep bringing the kids....

mike
Thx I hope everyone liked them. I wish we could have got more of everyone, but we were trying to get 4 trails in and just didn't have the time.

Good Job Mike,
Looks and sounds like everyone had a good time. Don't know if you heard but Mary bought a 2001 XJ and ordered armor for it so SHE can return to Moab. while I just get to install the stuff :tears:
Take care,
Tom

Eagle said:
Mike, I haven't had a beer in so long I probably wouldn't like the taste now, but for those who do and just can't enjoy a cook-out without a brewski in hand -- do you know if the state parks allow the non-alcoholic "beers" such as O'Douls? Can we find out, just in case someone wants to bring that type of quaffable?

Eagle, Non-alcoholic" beer is fine in state parks here in Virginia, and we are boarder line communist state. So you should be fine in your satate, as long as its not Cali-for-nia. :roflmao:

Back