• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ's in the midwest area, for sale?

woody431

NAXJA Forum User
Im browsing trying to find some MJs in the midwest area that are for sale. Im looking for one rather cheap, that I can fix up. Don't really want to deal with one with rust, but this IS the midwest and I realize how bad rust issues are. Preferred: 4.0, auto, 4x4 if possible. Any leads will help. Thanks

I'm sure there's that mythical rust free MJ that's spent the last 20 years stored in a barn after the little old lady's husband died...

:D

Gil BullyKatz said:
I'm sure there's that mythical rust free MJ that's spent the last 20 years stored in a barn after the little old lady's husband died...

:D
I heard about that!
A friend of mine's grandmother's friend had one in her garage!
It was parked next to a '69 Camero SS only had 1200 miles on it!

seanR said:
I heard about that!
A friend of mine's grandmother's friend had one in her garage!
It was parked next to a '69 Camero SS only had 1200 miles on it!

Wasn't the Camaro next to a Vincent Black Shadow and a Norton Commando?

woody431 said:
Im browsing trying to find some MJs in the midwest area that are for sale. Im looking for one rather cheap, that I can fix up. Don't really want to deal with one with rust, but this IS the midwest and I realize how bad rust issues are. Preferred: 4.0, auto, 4x4 if possible. Any leads will help. Thanks

Yea, you and every other MJ head.

Enjoy your search for the Holy Grail.

If you are willing to drive a bit look to KY, South IN, South OH and the like. I was looking last week and found 5 or six with very little rust in these areas. All but one were 2wd though. Good luck.

You can convert a 2wd to 4wd relatively easily with XJ parts, so if I were you I'd focus on finding one with a decent body and go from there.

I found one locally, believe it or not, its in decent shape, I believe it's an 86, long bed, auto, 4x4. The engine caught fire so the front is trashed. But the bed is in great shape as is the interior. Im almost ready to swap my XJ axles out for my full widths so, im thinking if I can pick this one up cheap enough, I'll put the XJ axles in it, (MJ has the M35 rear) and pick up a front clip and hood from the junkyard. Throw a newer drivetrain in it and make it my new DD.

woody431 said:
I found one locally, believe it or not, its in decent shape, I believe it's an 86, long bed, auto, 4x4. The engine caught fire so the front is trashed. But the bed is in great shape as is the interior. Im almost ready to swap my XJ axles out for my full widths so, im thinking if I can pick this one up cheap enough, I'll put the XJ axles in it, (MJ has the M35 rear) and pick up a front clip and hood from the junkyard. Throw a newer drivetrain in it and make it my new DD.

If you are putting a new clip on it, your half way to being able to swap in the 4.0l. Grab the front clip, crossmembers, and wiring harness off a 4.0l XJ, and some new motor mounts.

I have a 4.0, AW4 & 231 from a '88 MJ w/ 123k miles on it if you are interested.

Back