• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ springs v XJ springs?

Nice score on the new MJ. Looks good.

From what I have been able to find, in order to get 3" of lift and not go SOA you're gonna either have to get all new springs or perhaps get an AAL to go under the main leaf. That route will work untill the main leaf gets toasted. If you go SOA you can pull leaves out of the stock pack and build a bastard pack that will get you around 3" or so. There doesn't appear to be a cheap or real easy way to get 3"

I wouldn't go SOA unless you just had to. Just my .02.

comanche metric ton leaf springs will give you approximately 2" of lift add a longer shackle to make up the difference.

a little tough to find, but it works.

cherokee springs are overall shorter than the comanche springs. from the centerbolt to the rear "eye" is shorter, and from the centerbolt to the front "eye" is also shorter.

without building custom mounts, the xj springs just won't work...the axle wouldn't be centered in the front end.

above and beyond that, SOA on a stock 2wd leaf pack will net you 4.5-5.5" lift depending on how tall the new perch is. with a 4wd pack, add another inch. metric ton pack, you're well on your way to 7-8" of lift.

comanche metric ton leaf springs will give you approximately 2" of lift add a longer shackle to make up the difference.

cherokee springs are overall shorter than the comanche springs. from the centerbolt to the rear "eye" is shorter, and from the centerbolt to the front "eye" is also shorter.

without building custom mounts, the xj springs just won't work...the axle wouldn't be centered in the front end.

above and beyond that, SOA on a stock 2wd leaf pack will net you 4.5-5.5" lift depending on how tall the new perch is. with a 4wd pack, add another inch. metric ton pack, you're well on your way to 7-8" of lift.

Great info! thank you

how much does the overload spring really help? I will rarely haul anything but when I had leafs in my XJ, the overload was really more of an "antiwrap" more than anything. Just saying because I just went SOA with my 2wd pack and am trying to keep it as low as possible and was thinking about removing the overload, as that would drop it about another 3/4". I just dont want mad axle wrap either...

the overload is the sole reason that the comanche has such a high weight capacity in the bed.

without it, they bounce like there's no shocks on it.

Hey, if you ever need a full Trailmaster 4" lift for the MJ I ended up pulling one off a 87 Comanche.
Its got front coils and the upper and lower front control arm drop brackets, plus the front sway bar drop brackets.
Its also got the rear 4" full leafs with the SOA brackets included.
I would like to trade all this stuff for a set of 3" front coils and 3" full rear leafs for my 98 XJ Cherokee.
Shipping would be the only expense for us on both ends.
Just PM me if interested. I am going to start pulling my XJ apart in about 3 more weeks.

I was looking at that chart and had a question about a couple of springs i saw listed. It looks like another available option could be 86-03 ranger springs with a thickness of 1 7/16" has a lower load rating of 1050 lbs which would probably allow for some drop. The other option I saw was 95-01 explorer "wedge/4" springs that have an incredibly low rating of 877 lbs. My big question is what do they mean by wedge springs? Both springs would very slightly move the axle forward 3/8 for ranger and 5/16 for explorer. Anyone have any input on these springs?

I'm glad you poasted this. MJ springs are not only longer but will move your axle 3" back. I looked for a set of 3" lift springs to put on my xj when I went to D60's but could not find any cheaper then the 2wd F150's I got for free. :) I was afraid he would try to use xj stuff before someone would post the right info.

FYI, a very useful chart with factory leaf spring specs... http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png

According to the chart you could possibly use Waggy or J truck springs on an MJ, or maybe even 56" Chevy's.

This is the info I used to find the 2wd Ford main leaf I ended up using. Great chart for people wiling to experament!

Back