• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfiring, where to buy injectors?

Here's what Dino did
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/manifold.html
And here's the stuff he used
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=THE-13575&dds=1

I was thinking he'd used a header blanket, but it's a different product. I was wondering if something like this would work.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=header blanket&dds=1

Do you think the material will burn or melt if it's coming in contact with the exhaust header? It's a very tight fit from what I've seen so it's probably gonna be touching it.

Both products say they're rated to 2000*F, and the last link is specifically for wrapping headers. I'd think they'd work fine on a stock Jeep.

Both products say they're rated to 2000*F, and the last link is specifically for wrapping headers. I'd think they'd work fine on a stock Jeep.

Yeah I noticed that but the "feel" of the heat shield I got makes me think it would burn or melt but I'm no expert, maybe it will hold up just fine. When I get money I'm gonna try to do this. Never hurts to keep the heat down and out of the engine bay. :)

The shop I work at just completed machining exhaust manifolds for some huge out-of-production military vehicles. The next step in the process is for them to go to another company to coat with "fiberglass". This must be some coating similar to the "fiberglass" header tape that Summit sells. I have to believe that it actually works in heavy duty applications too.

Fiberglass coating huh? I've heard of the ceramic coating (I think that helps keep the heat down too).....but fiberglass is definitely interesting - and probably expensive :D

Fiberglass coating huh? I've heard of the ceramic coating (I think that helps keep the heat down too).....but fiberglass is definitely interesting - and probably expensive :D

They have exhaust wrap that's basically made of fiberglass. I have a couple rolls of it and used it on my intake hose to shield it from heat. That stuff is ITCHY!!!

Well wrapping the fuel rail and injectors FAILED. I give up and now prop open the hood when I park it. What a PITA.

Next step: modify the fan timer.

I don't know.. heat soak in 50*... your problem may not be heat soak. That is awfully cool for heat soak to cause an issue, especially with insulation. Have you checked fuel pressure?

I don't know.. heat soak in 50*... your problem may not be heat soak. That is awfully cool for heat soak to cause an issue, especially with insulation. Have you checked fuel pressure?

It was still freakin hot under the hood when I opened it. Damn these engine bays get HOT. It's been in the 30's lately and it hasn't misfired after a couple long trips.

I dunno - I'm not convinced it's heatsoak. I have an '01 XJ and I ripped that joke of a heatshield out a long time ago.

I did have a problem with my engine misfiring on random cylinders - even threw a code (can't remember which). I eventually found my answer in this article: http://motorage.search-autoparts.co...lestandard/motorage/292005/169830/article.pdf

My crank angle sensor was completely misaligned. Used a toothpick to line it up and the truck ran like new again!

Your CEL code tells you multple cylinder misfire, and which cylinders are misfiring. With an '01, think of three pairs of cylinders, each pair with its own coil. If the misfire is limited to cylinders 1-2, or 2-3, try swapping coil packs with a pair that is not misfiring. Clear the codes, and see what happens.

If the code returns, but on a different pair of cylinders, you've isolated the problem to the coil pack (or possibly multiple packs). Your original code of P0303 pionts to #3 cylinder, and the link magimerlin posted gives several causes.

Does the error code change? What are the last two digits of the error code when it changes? I lean toward a bad coil pack (or two), as I have seen it happen before. You said it's all cylinders, so that would mean you've seen P0301-06? Knowing for sure which cylinders are misfiring will aid in diagnosing.

Steve

Your CEL code tells you multple cylinder misfire, and which cylinders are misfiring. With an '01, think of three pairs of cylinders, each pair with its own coil. If the misfire is limited to cylinders 1-2, or 2-3, try swapping coil packs with a pair that is not misfiring. Clear the codes, and see what happens.

If the code returns, but on a different pair of cylinders, you've isolated the problem to the coil pack (or possibly multiple packs). Your original code of P0303 pionts to #3 cylinder, and the link magimerlin posted gives several causes.

Does the error code change? What are the last two digits of the error code when it changes? I lean toward a bad coil pack (or two), as I have seen it happen before. You said it's all cylinders, so that would mean you've seen P0301-06? Knowing for sure which cylinders are misfiring will aid in diagnosing.

Steve

I had these codes show up when I had my misfire. My first inclination was to replace the packs because I thought one or more had gone bad. Luckily, I was able to swap the coilpack with a friend with an '02 TJ. I cleared my codes, put on the other coilpack and fired my truck up - the same codes crept up. Kind of strange since my buddies TJ ran perfectly with no codes.

Problem ended up being my crank position sensor - the one that replaced the distributor when they went with coil-on-plug recipe. It was very out of synch and was causing the computer to throw codes for a problem that didn't exist.

Edit: I shouldn't say for a problem that didn't exist - the truck was misfiring, but it mislead me to believe the coilpacks were bad when they are just fine.

Last edited:
And how would you do that?

If the code was P0303, clear it, and the same code comes back, consistantly, swap the center coil pack with the first or third. Clear the codes again, and see if you get a new code. If the error follows the location of the coil pack (i.e. you swapped the 3-4 pack with the 1-2 coil pack, and now the error code is P0301), you've isolated that pack as being bad.

It's a molded coil rail and the packs can't be swapped. If one goes bad, you have to buy the whole thing.

Back