• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military Engineering at its best

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
For those who are unfamiliar, this is an MRAP (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected). I'm guessing it weighs about 15 tons, its a 6x6 basically designed to take a 155 shell and keep going. The underside its essentially a boat hull to direct the blast outward. They are primarily designed to stay on road, and i think this is probably why. During a patrol last week we kinda sorta shattered 4 1/2" thick shackles. The axle shifted left and forward and they were able to limp back to the COP.

DSC01309.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

In order to get it on a flatbed they had to do a little fender trimming. Since the axle had shifted it was rubbing pretty severely against the fender, chewing up the tires in the process.

DSC01326.jpg

Its very common for the military to add 5k in armor without blinking and then not think about the effects on the suspension and driveline. I think what happened with here though is just a simple case of being told to use equipment in a way its not meant to be used.

nice. carnage is always good. except when some one gets hurt

what axle do they use? the same as the old duce and half?

They are actually pretty good vehicles. I've seen several up in the Samarra/Tikrit area hit with hundreds of pounds of HME (home made explosive). Most of the time the tires end up blown away, but I've seen the ENTIRE front section (engine included) blown off and the crew intact.

I doubt it was poor engineering, maybe just a batch of shackles.

John

I've been in one that was hit w/ 150 pounds of HME outside of Bayji. They work. Noone seriously injured. ripped battery box and air tanks off. Split the middle axle at the diff. housing and all.

Seems I recall the only combat casualties has been injuries due to rollover. The rollovers have been due largely to inexperienced drivers taking them places they weren't meant for. You can't go where a HMMWV can, but you'll survive where you wouldn't have a chance even in an uparmored HMMWV

It also has to do with the destructive testing they use, they take random samples and test then pass that batch of parts. Ran into this a few years ago with the track pins on my bradley. Other units ran into this with the bolts for the external armor on the M1's, bolts went in fine then it was like a jalopy with the stuff flapping and falling off once they got off road and really bouncing. Most of the stuff they use is overkill but gives me the warm and fuzzies. I'd much rather have something rated for 20,000lbs and only need 8,000 than have something rated for 10,000 and be sweating it.

Don't worry they are getting suspension upgrades soon (have fun putting them on) at least the Force Protection 4x4 and the 6x6, mainly because of the shitty ride and the suspension travel!

The 6x6 we had weighed 51,000 lbs

The 6x6 we had weighed 51,000 lbs
I'm getting old-timers disease, but I seem to recall:
the M-113A-2 weighed in at Aprox. 22,000 lb
the M-106A-2 weighed in at Aprox. 26,000 lb
the M-2/3 weighed in at Aprox. 52,000 lb

So now the trucks outweigh the APCs,...

...wow...

I'm getting old-timers disease, but I seem to recall:
the M-113A-2 weighed in at Aprox. 22,000 lb
the M-106A-2 weighed in at Aprox. 26,000 lb
the M-2/3 weighed in at Aprox. 52,000 lb

So now the trucks outweigh the APCs,...

...wow...

I miss spoke that is gross weight, for the 6x6. I believe the curb was ~39-40k lbs which is still heavy as shit but that is why they are complaining about manuverablility.

its not gay if your under way.

Hey, some boats have hulls that are not v-shaped.

Aren't submarines the only boat? Everything else is a ship?

I call em all boats at work... none of the ships force has complained yet... :dunno: granted about half the time, they are subs... :read:

Those shackles look like they're cast metal.

Yikes.

Back