• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MGB Forums??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
It seems I'm going to be overtaking my Uncle's project of transplanting a Mazda Rotary motor into a '64 MGB(I *THINK* that's the year). Anyway, I've done a few searches on Yahoo and Google, and didn't come up with anything. You guys know anything?? Thanks

Ary

P.S. Look for more details to come on this project, I'm REALLY excited, especially since he's paying the bills on it ;)

Car as it sits right now.....
PICT0028.jpg

The body is a "brand new"(spent 3 years in the garage so far) reproduction body...

make sure the Wankel is in good shape......I had an RX-4 at 60K it started to backfire, run bad, Rotor seals were shot.

Hope you work it out.....great little engines, take advantage of the size....mount it low and back.

Rev

Go to www.groups.yahoo.com and type in the search box: MG, Triumph, MGA, MGB, Spitfire as individual words.

There are a few message groups that discuss these Small British Cars (SBC's) as single makes or as a similar group (i.e. Migets/Sprites & Spitfires or MGA/MGB).

The Wankel should make a good lightweight package to outrun the original MGB 4-banger. There used to be considerable interest in small V6 conversions for these SBC's but the source of good bodys became scarce, and compared to more modern cars the brakes and drivetrain can be unreliable with more power. They are primative (be warned a good Civic will outrun any of these narrow track old SBC's, except in the style parade).

I have a 70' Spitfire that I found parts to complete a 2.8L V6 w/ T350 swap, and ended up with rebuilding the stock drivetrain to keep it legal (before the CA emissions law exempted pre-72 cars, probably good for eventual resale). It goes well for 1300 cc's (twin carbs and little tricks) but nothing like a modern 1300. These SBC's weigh less than 1700 pounds and if fitted with the later model front disc brakes they can stop if you care for them with constant attention. I need to replace all the rubber on my Spit to limit all the suspension rattles (a constant battle with SBC's).

Have fun with the project.

make sure to take lots of pictures along the way. I think those cars are pretty cool and would love to see something like you are trying to do, be done.

Back